Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

The move made a ton of sense for Denver.  Osweiler knows McCoy, his system, and verbiage.  He comes in and at the very least gives Denver an at least somewhat reliable backup to Siemian on short notice until Lynch is healthy.  

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The move made a ton of sense for Denver.  Osweiler knows McCoy, his system, and verbiage.  He comes in and at the very least gives Denver an at least somewhat reliable backup to Siemian on short notice until Lynch is healthy.  

Who knows - a four-way QB battle next year - Siemian/Lynch/Osweiler/Kelly

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I just hope elway made the move bc it's good business. Yes Brock is a bad starter but a great backup.  

I just hope this isn't an elway reclamation project because he can't admit a mistake.

Letting Oz go was the best move for us  last year. Imagine if Oz had stayed at even 12M a year, let alone the 18M AAV HOU paid.  

That $ saved allowed us to extend Marshall, Stewart and Sanders along with Von.   Without that $ we only keep Von and 1 of those 3 guys best case.  

Im not sure how taking Oz back at min wage to be a backup is Elway not admitting to past mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Letting Oz go was the best move for us  last year. Imagine if Oz had stayed at even 12M a year, let alone the 18M AAV HOU paid.  

That $ saved allowed us to extend Marshall, Stewart and Sanders along with Von.   Without that $ we only keep Von and 1 of those 3 guys best case.  

Im not sure how taking Oz back at min wage to be a backup is Elway not admitting to past mistakes. 

Yes but I could still see Elway seeing brock with rose colored glasses.

This might be good insurance but is a bad look in the locker room. You cut a leader loved by all and sign a guy who was too coward to answer teammates texts?

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Yes but I could still see Elway seeing brock with rose colored glasses.

This might be good insurance but is a bad look in the locker room. You cut a leader loved by all and sign a guy who was too coward to answer teammates texts?

Terrible logic.  Brock isn't being brought in to replace Ward.  They have no backup QB.    It's a bad look if he can't even be a decent backup.  Nothing more nothing less.  

There is no long term commitment here.  There is no $ being committed beyond min wage.  There is little upside but zero risk here. Signing Brock to be the backup with Lynch out at min wage has nothing to do with Ward getting cut and every player knows that.  

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Terrible logic.  Brock isn't being brought in to replace Ward.  They have no backup QB.    It's a bad look if he can't even be a decent backup.  

There is no long term commitment here.  There is no $ being committed beyond min wage.  Signing Brock to be the backup with Lynch out at min wage has nothing to do with Ward getting cut and every player knows that.  

no its not I never said he replaced ward. The players on the team were'nt even mad at brock for getting paid. Sloter was a better  option bc players got behind him recently saying he had swag. If trevor got hurt I cant see the team rallying around Brock. Simply because he was too coward to answer their texts.

the team dynamic looks bad can't debate that.

Are we serious about Sloter being the best backup option? For christ sake people he hasn't even started a full season and somehow we think the team is going to be ok with that? Did you not watch the defense last year get pissed at an offense led by Trevor? I'm sure one of you are going to bring up Matt Cassel, but he sat for multiple seasons before ever getting a chance. 

19 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

no its not I never said he replaced ward. The players on the team were'nt even mad at brock for getting paid. Sloter was a better  option bc players got behind him recently saying he had swag. If trevor got hurt I cant see the team rallying around Brock. Simply because he was too coward to answer their texts.

the team dynamic looks bad can't debate that.

The team dynamic will be fine if we are winning.  If we are losing ppl will second-guess.  It's human nature. 

And to that point - if Siemian is out we are screwed.  That simple.  Brock is the best of a bad bunch of choices, at least from looking at 2017 alone.   He's also one that cost min-wage, and didn't cost us anything to acquire, and actually has some familiarity with us.  So there's no cost in keeping him, other than than taking him over Sloter.  If Sloter is on the PS, then really hard to argue that there's any cost.  If he gets claimed, then the call can be scrutinized further - but let's not pretend that Sloter is ready to succeed even as a backup right now - the history behind PS success is very clearly that it doesn't matter and has no ability to predict reg. season success - most of the best PS performances are just pure mirages.  Take a look back to page 22 and look at the list of PS success stories from 2013-2017 and no doubt you'll arrive at the same conclusion.

24 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Are we serious about Sloter being the best backup option? For christ sake people he hasn't even started a full season and somehow we think the team is going to be ok with that? Did you not watch the defense last year get pissed at an offense led by Trevor? I'm sure one of you are going to bring up Matt Cassel, but he sat for multiple seasons before ever getting a chance. 

I don't think that Cassel had as much ability as Sloter. Experience is nice, but isn't this game about ability as well? 

Just now, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I don't think that Cassel had as much ability as Sloter. Experience is nice, but isn't this game about ability as well? 

And what ability is that exactly? To light up 3rd and 4th stringers that likewise got cut with him today. 

I've never seen a fanbase get so infatuated with 3rd string QBs. Thank god this forum wasn't around when Jarious Jackson was around otherwise I'm sure he would've been touted.

Sloter is a stiff with an ok arm, ok intelligence, that perhaps with a few years of growth could be a decent backup. What he's shown is this team isn't winning a damn game if he has to play.  

48 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

And what ability is that exactly? To light up 3rd and 4th stringers that likewise got cut with him today. 

I've never seen a fanbase get so infatuated with 3rd string QBs. Thank god this forum wasn't around when Jarious Jackson was around otherwise I'm sure he would've been touted.

Sloter is a stiff with an ok arm, ok intelligence, that perhaps with a few years of growth could be a decent backup. What he's shown is this team isn't winning a damn game if he has to play.  

Listen, Talent doesn't always equal best results. On paper Brock is the best option, but I find it hard to believe he gets respect back from the teammates he acted like a coward towards.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Listen, Talent doesn't always equal best results. On paper Brock is the best option, but I find it hard to believe he gets respect back from the teammates he acted like a coward towards.

And that's their problem if they let that stop them from winning games. Elway's job is to give us the best chance to win and someone familiar with McCoy that has helped get teams to the playoffs as a backup is really not a big deal if Trevor stays healthy. 

The end of the day Elway either has to go with a very green rookie as a backup to a QB that missed time last season and make his goal of winning championships BS or go with a QB who albeit not great has proven to do enough to get a team into the playoffs and at least compete. 

Archived