Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

27 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Maybe the Bengals made the offer, they promptly turned it down and it was just misrepresented. 

Sandy's report was based off of a source high up in the Bengals organization, with a little deductive reasoning I would wager it's Jim Haslett. I wouldn't be surprised if we did kick the tires on AJ McCarron given the way the two have performed in camp thus far. Again, Sandy isn't some low-level blogger or incendiary talk radio host trying to drive clicks and retweets, he's pretty serious. He wouldn't have come out with this if he didn't have some concrete evidence. That being said, it's not going to happen, but I'd wager we did inquire. 

5 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

You know someone else who had a year comparable to Siemian? Mike Glennon. Yet the two teams he's been on have drafted QBs in the top 2 picks of the draft to replace him. Comparing simple face stats such as TDs/INTs and completion pct doesn't paint the entire picture. All the QBs you listed have shown flashes of being a franchise QB. Siemian has only shown he's capable of being a good backup that can start in a pinch.  PFF had him as the QB with the most off target throws in the league. We also lead the league in 3 and outs with him starting most of the year.

I don't want to be stuck in Kyle Orton/Alex Smith-esque purgatory with a QB that's not good enough to win games on his own. At least Paxton has that potential, even though I'm not sold completely on him right now.

Exactly.  Siemian wasn't good last year, not even close.  He was literally one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL last year.  He had flashes and there are some things about his game I like.  Mostly his grit and ability to change arm slots under pressure, but realistically at best he's a border line average starter.  Everyone talks about his accuracy, but he wasn't accurate in comparison to starters around the league, again one of the least accurate (he never pushes the ball either).  His decision making gets brought up, where again he was one of the worst in the league and he's a player that it almost seems he refuses to take a chance with the football.  He threw 9 INTs last year, which doesn't look bad for a 1st year starter, but just off the top of my head he should have had another 4 INTs added to that total and all 4 would have went for pick 6s in the first 5 weeks of the season.

Siemian is what he is.  I'm not saying he can't improve in some areas, but he's not much better than he was last season.  He's at best an average talent.

His floor is higher than Lynch's though. Siemian is capable of taking this team to the playoffs, is Lynch? If Paxton projects as the high turnover guy we've heard about in practice he can easily sink this team's chances of being competitive. 

Siemian winning creates long term problems though. Will be even more difficult to win the job going forward for Lynch with another year worth of game reps earned by Siemian, and Siemian is a free agent in 2019. Trading Lynch and drafting another QB next year wouldn't surprise me. 

This competition is very hard to evaluate. Trevor has been very consistent as of late. 

Paxton has shown flashes and I believe the first 2 days of camp out performed Siemian despite what local media is saying.

I think the way the starts are lined up Lynch has a slight edge. I have trouble seeing Siemian ball out given the fact that there will be 12 mph winds with rain. There's a reason Denver's line on the over/under is the lowest this week. Especially given the two teams combine for a deep 1 two punch at qb.

I'm excited to see how Lynch performs with the scripted plays, not facing denvers d, when the lights are shining on him in preseason.

If the Pats weren't such a heavy favorite in the AFC I'd lean toward Siemian given the fact he's a safe option, comsistent option.

I've also changed my tune on the haul we can land for trevor next offseason even if he balls out. I no longer see an Alex Smith type haul next years draft class is too loaded at the top with qbs along with Kirk Cousins being a free agent. That is only just the knowns. Also, a huge haul was never received from a late round qb pick.

Lynch : wins the competition if he doesn't turn the ball over in his territory, and red zone, and if he improves on holding on the ball too long because that kills a drive. 

If Lynch makes mistakes that aren't in the red zone or his own territory I can live with that. Because Trevor in my opinion wastes opportunities in the red zone and making throws short of the chains.

I'm immpressed with Lynch's comments about wanting to see the unit succeed as a whole when he's in there. That's key regardless of statline if the unit performs better as a whole it will do wonders for the qb succeeding. 

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Sandy's report was based off of a source high up in the Bengals organization, with a little deductive reasoning I would wager it's Jim Haslett. I wouldn't be surprised if we did kick the tires on AJ McCarron given the way the two have performed in camp thus far. Again, Sandy isn't some low-level blogger or incendiary talk radio host trying to drive clicks and retweets, he's pretty serious. He wouldn't have come out with this if he didn't have some concrete evidence. That being said, it's not going to happen, but I'd wager we did inquire. 

Elway coming at Sandy pisses me off, tbh. Pretty weird to have such a strong reaction to a rumor. Elway is truly MAGA 

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

His floor is higher than Lynch's though. Siemian is capable of taking this team to the playoffs, is Lynch? If Paxton projects as the high turnover guy we've heard about in practice he can easily sink this team's chances of being competitive. 

Siemian winning creates long term problems though. Will be even more difficult to win the job going forward for Lynch with another year worth of game reps earned by Siemian, and Siemian is a free agent in 2019. Trading Lynch and drafting another QB next year wouldn't surprise me. 

My tentative prediction is that Siemian wins the job, gets injured, Lynch takes over, doesn't give the job back. Lynch strikes me as a gamer. Siemian is most likely going to win the battle in camp. 

18 hours ago, germ-x said:

Exactly.  Siemian wasn't good last year, not even close.  He was literally one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL last year.  He had flashes and there are some things about his game I like.  Mostly his grit and ability to change arm slots under pressure, but realistically at best he's a border line average starter.  Everyone talks about his accuracy, but he wasn't accurate in comparison to starters around the league, again one of the least accurate (he never pushes the ball either).  His decision making gets brought up, where again he was one of the worst in the league and he's a player that it almost seems he refuses to take a chance with the football.  He threw 9 INTs last year, which doesn't look bad for a 1st year starter, but just off the top of my head he should have had another 4 INTs added to that total and all 4 would have went for pick 6s in the first 5 weeks of the season.

Siemian is what he is.  I'm not saying he can't improve in some areas, but he's not much better than he was last season.  He's at best an average talent.

I disagree. The offense as a whole was a dumpster fire. Siemian was not stellar, but he was, for all intents and purposes, a rookie. Plenty of rookies had poor performances in year one. I'm not comparing just TD/INT either. He had a performance becoming of a rookie (essentially) except better. Better than Goff. If Goff had Siemian's season, people would be touting him as the next big thing.

Let me be clear, I'm not arguing Siemian is the long-term QB answer in Denver. I'm not convinced that player is currently on the roster, to be frank. I think he's just a better option for this year than Lynch. Maybe something will change come game time, but Lynch appears to be still behind the 8-ball, while Siemian appears to be, at worst, the same as last year. That being said, last year was 9-7 and an opportunity for playoffs with a 1st year starter, no running game, and a horrid OL. If anything improves this year, we could be a playoff team. Last season was bad in relative Broncos terms, but most rebuilding teams would have been looking at our season as a building block.

Frankly, I hope Siemian plays well because he would make wonderful trade bait. He's clearly not the QBOTF, but if he plays well enough that a QB needy team is willing to pony up a 1st for him, I'm all over that.

38 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I disagree. The offense as a whole was a dumpster fire. Siemian was not stellar, but he was, for all intents and purposes, a rookie. Plenty of rookies had poor performances in year one. I'm not comparing just TD/INT either. He had a performance becoming of a rookie (essentially) except better. Better than Goff. If Goff had Siemian's season, people would be touting him as the next big thing.

Let me be clear, I'm not arguing Siemian is the long-term QB answer in Denver. I'm not convinced that player is currently on the roster, to be frank. I think he's just a better option for this year than Lynch. Maybe something will change come game time, but Lynch appears to be still behind the 8-ball, while Siemian appears to be, at worst, the same as last year. That being said, last year was 9-7 and an opportunity for playoffs with a 1st year starter, no running game, and a horrid OL. If anything improves this year, we could be a playoff team. Last season was bad in relative Broncos terms, but most rebuilding teams would have been looking at our season as a building block.

Frankly, I hope Siemian plays well because he would make wonderful trade bait. He's clearly not the QBOTF, but if he plays well enough that a QB needy team is willing to pony up a 1st for him, I'm all over that.

Siemian was NOT a rookie last year. In 2015, he had the privilege of learning from one of the best QBs in history and a full season of NFL coaching and experience. I wish people would stop perpetuating that narrative as it's clearly not true.  

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Yeah I thought that tweet was in poor form, and really bizarre honestly.

Sandy is a freaking Denver legend and not a cheap radio personality. gtfo Elway. You aren't doing your job if you aren't open to upgrading the QB position. 

Everyone is focused on the QB battle when in reality this team needs to hope for average play. We have two average at best quarterbacks and it is probably the weakest position on the roster talent wise. 

14 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I disagree here. Myself and several others here have said it's much easier for us to go from Trevor to Paxton than from Paxton to Trevor. If the first round pick wins the job and flames out so badly we have to replace him with the vanilla seventh rounder who is the quintessential game-manager, it's the end of Paxton as a franchise QB. Or at least that will be the narrative. I would wager if Paxton wins the job and struggles so much the staff benches him mid-season, Elway is forced to draft another QB next year or pull some big trade for a veteran (Philip Rivers comes to mind) or sign Kirk Cousins for major $$$ in offseason. 

However, if Trevor wins the job and either struggles or just doesn't do enough and we're losing games despite having an elite defense, an improved OL and running game and more skill position talent, Vance and the staff can easily sell - to both the fan base and more importantly the locker room - we're going to go with the higher upside guy, let him take some lumps but at least have a more dynamic talent out there who we hope can make some big plays that Trevor couldn't. If Trevor wins the job out of camp but gets benched it's no big deal, we sign him for cheap as a long-term backup. If Paxton wins the job and gets benched it'd be awfully hard to go into camp again next year hoping that Paxton improved by leaps and bounds. 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

Elway coming at Sandy pisses me off, tbh. Pretty weird to have such a strong reaction to a rumor. Elway is truly MAGA 

From a PR perspective, Elway had to hit those rumors down as hard as he could and in a way that would make major headlines. I don't think it's anything personal against Sandy, who's been in Denver longer than Elway. It was a pretty savvy PR move by Elway to tell you the truth. 

46 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Siemian was NOT a rookie last year. In 2015, he had the privilege of learning from one of the best QBs in history and a full season of NFL coaching and experience. I wish people would stop perpetuating that narrative as it's clearly not true.  

He was on the practice squad in 2015 and only even ran the scout team offense for 1/2 the season when Peyton was held out with injury. And as we learned from Brock's experience, Peyton wasn't a guy who taking time out to teach the other QBs what to do. Anything Trevor learned from Peyton would had to been learned by osmosis. He was, for all intents and purposes, a rookie last year. On top that, they actually tried to run the Kubiak/Dennison offense last year, not the amalgam of the Peyton/Kubiak offense. 

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

From a PR perspective, Elway had to hit those rumors down as hard as he could and in a way that would make major headlines. I don't think it's anything personal against Sandy, who's been in Denver longer than Elway. It was a pretty savvy PR move by Elway to tell you the truth. 

Yeah, you're right as far as the team goes. I mean it's probably a lie though so I just have issue with the language in general in our current political and media environment. The team probably inquired about McCarron although not seriously. 

5 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah, you're right as far as the team goes. I mean it's probably a lie though so I just have issue with the language in general in our current political and media environment. The team probably inquired about McCarron although not seriously. 

And here people are spending a lot of time today talking about Elway's tweet rather than the trade rumors. 

Archived