turtle28

Packers cut DT Letroy Guion

8 posts in this topic

turtle28    17
Posted (edited)

Packers cut defensive tackle Letroy Guion after DUI, Redskins?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/08/packers-cut-defensive-tackle-letroy-guion/ via @ProFootballTalk

Guion has had his issues off the field, he's already suspended for 4 games and recently he got picked up on a DUI in Hawaii but if things don't go well with our DL early in the season it may be a good idea to pick him up for the final 12 games.

"He was already suspended the first four games of the 2017 regular season for a PED violation, and that will carry over if he finds another team. He had previously been suspended three games in 2015 for violating the substance abuse policy.

He’s been a productive player when eligible, starting 15 games for the Packers last year. But the growing list of off-field issues (the DUI will likely lead to another suspension) apparently became more than the Packers could tolerate."

Edited by turtle28

MKnight82    42

I mean he's already suspended 4 games, and likely to be suspended more.  Not sure how he could contribute at all this year.  

What was the name of that safety we signed from Tampa Bay that never played a down for us because of suspensions? This guy seems to have that kind of potential

turtle28    17
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

What was the name of that safety we signed from Tampa Bay that never played a down for us because of suspensions? This guy seems to have that kind of potential

Tanard Jackson. That was Mike Shanahan's answer to our safety issues instead of signing a better veteran or drafting a S high in the draft and we all see how that went.

The difference w/ Guion is that he has played in the last few years - Jackson didn't - and we have signed 3 free agent DL this offseason and drafted Johnathan Allen. So, we've addressed the position and Guion would just be a bonus.

That's totally different than the Jackson signing considering we hadn't addressed the position well unless you consider signing BRandon Meriweather addressing the S position.

Edited by turtle28

turtle28    17
2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean he's already suspended 4 games, and likely to be suspended more.  Not sure how he could contribute at all this year.  

Yeah, I wouldn't sign him now but if our DL didn't play well the first month of the season or so I'd consider signing him to finish the season. Hopefully its a moot issue and our DL plays at least average.

MKnight82    42
Just now, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't sign him now but if our DL didn't play well the first month of the season or so I'd consider signing him to finish the season. Hopefully its a moot issue and our DL plays at least average.

Doesn't his suspension start once a team has signed him?  I don't think sitting out games as a free agent counts.  

turtle28    17
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Doesn't his suspension start once a team has signed him?  I don't think sitting out games as a free agent counts.  

Oh, I don't know. You're probably right. That would make more sense I guess. The article just says first 4 games of 2017, not sure if it counts him not being signed or not. 

Edited by turtle28

Woz    37

I believe you need to be on a roster to have the games count. You can be on IR or the PUP, though.