Jrry32 Final Mock

jrry32

Well, with the Draft this week, this will be my final mock. Just to make it clear, I am not trying to project what the Rams will do. Rather, I am letting you know what I would do if I were in Les Snead's shoes. Sometimes, Snead agrees with me. Sometimes, he does not. Shaquem Griffin was drafted before our pick in this Mock. He's the top guy on my board for our 3rd round pick.

Trade
Arizona Cardinals trade Round 3 Pick #33 and Round 4 Pick #34
Rams trade Round 3 Pick #23

NFL Draft
Round 3 Pick #33 - Geron Christian OT Louisville

Round 4 Pick #11 - Jeff Holland OLB Auburn

Round 4 Pick #34 - Jack Cichy ILB Wisconsin

Round 4 Pick #35 - Dorian O'Daniel ILB Clemson

Round 4 Pick #36 - Jamil Demby OG Maine

Round 6 Pick #2 - Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia

Round 6 Pick #9 - Tony Adams C/OG N.C. State

Round 6 Pick #20 - Logan Woodside QB Toledo

Round 6 Pick #21 - Phillip Lindsay HB Colorado

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Ndamukong Suh
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Matt Longacre
WILB: Mark Barron
SILB: Cory Littleton
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
LCB: Marcus Peters
RCB: Aqib Talib
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Wouldnt love it, wouldn’t hate it.  Love that you loaded up at OL and LB though.  Even if 1 or 2 hit and become quality starters it would make for a successful draft 

would like to see another EDGE player in there somewhere though. 

You couldn't use 4-35 to get me Scales instead of O'Daniel?  I realize the later offers ST standout capability that Bones would love, but I have trouble seeing him as ever being anything more than a guy who stick on the team because of his ST play and who you worry about if he ever has to see extended snaps on actual defense.

3 hours ago, Flatlyner said:

That would be my only complaint too, another Edge player dart throw. Other then that, I'd be quite pleased if this is how the cards fell on draft day.  We still get my boy Cichy and Lindsay

I didn't see any Edge players worth taking in the 6th. I could have drafted another in the 4th (Jacobs or Mata'afa), but I figured we could just sign a veteran for the NFL minimum rather than forcing a pick.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

You couldn't use 4-35 to get me Scales instead of O'Daniel?  I realize the later offers ST standout capability that Bones would love, but I have trouble seeing him as ever being anything more than a guy who stick on the team because of his ST play and who you worry about if he ever has to see extended snaps on actual defense.

I could, but I saw O'Daniel as a Barron replacement. I think Scales would fit more in the other role that Cichy would play. I like Scales. I actually think the Rams will draft him. He fits the Wade mold. But I think O'Daniel is a special teams demon with outstanding cover skills and reliable tackling ability. I think he'd thrive as the chase ILB in our scheme.

While I personally like taking all the O-lineman, Im not sure that is the strategy Snead will go with. If we end up with 2 solid OL prospects this weekend, Ill be happy, but Im not holding my breath for more than that.

Im not convinced on Christian, to me he is just a desirable frame that alot of people think they can coach up. Seems like a prospect without a floor to me. If he had all the potential people talk about, and he was going to be at least a solid swing tackle in the league, he would be at the least a Late 1st rounder. I get the pick, just not my favorite guy, scares me. (Christian & Harrison seem like redundant picks for me)

I like the LBs, seems like very likely targets and approach to picking them, all should be contributors right away for Wade.

I was looking for QBs late in this draft, just not sure Im intrigued by anyone. But it makes sense to look for someone, as I believe Mannion is a FA next year

10 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

While I personally like taking all the O-lineman, Im not sure that is the strategy Snead will go with. If we end up with 2 solid OL prospects this weekend, Ill be happy, but Im not holding my breath for more than that.

Im not convinced on Christian, to me he is just a desirable frame that alot of people think they can coach up. Seems like a prospect without a floor to me. If he had all the potential people talk about, and he was going to be at least a solid swing tackle in the league, he would be at the least a Late 1st rounder. I get the pick, just not my favorite guy, scares me. (Christian & Harrison seem like redundant picks for me)

I like the LBs, seems like very likely targets and approach to picking them, all should be contributors right away for Wade.

I was looking for QBs late in this draft, just not sure Im intrigued by anyone. But it makes sense to look for someone, as I believe Mannion is a FA next year

That's faulty logic. There's some projection with him because he needs to get bigger and stronger, but he's only 21 years old. Plus, he's not going to fit every scheme, and he doesn't have a high ceiling as a run blocker. However, it's so easy to see how much upside he has as a pass blocker. He's a long, smooth, flexible athlete who has tremendous body control. He's simply a natural in pass protection and makes it look quite easy. Let's not forget that all of the above went in the 3rd round or later:

Terron Armstead

Jared Veldheer

Donald Penn

Jason Peters

Alejandro Villanueva

Kelvin Beachum

David Bakhtiari

Charles Leno Jr.

So yea, I'm not buying the whole "he can't be that good if he's not a projected first round pick" argument. Here's Lance Zierlein's scouting report on him:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/geron-christian?id=32462018-0002-5601-5322-e972be96c146

Here's what a NFC Offensive Line Coach had to say (it's in the link):

"This is one of the most interesting tackles because he has potential. Some of these tackles like the UCLA kid (Kolton Miller) they aren't going to get much better. This kid just needs more experience and coaching and I think he will be a starter down the road."

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

So yea, I'm not buying the whole "he can't be that good if he's not a projected first round pick" argument.

Thats not what I said. If he has a solid floor of "atleast he will be a swing tackle for 6-8 years in the league" combined with this massive amount of potential many see in him, THEN he would be for sure a 1st round pick, because then teams would feel confident that there is a small chance they are completely wasting a pick, Especially in as weak of an OT class as we have seen in years at the Top.

That was just to emphasize my point that I dont see a floor for him. As in, he could be completely out of the league after his rookie deal. And Im glad you used Zierlein's report, because it also highlights some of the major issues I have with Christian. He is an amazing athlete for someone his size, sure, but he still looks like a Basketball player on a football field (plays way too high)

Mostly though, he is one of the weakest OT prospects I have seen talked about in the first 2 days in a long time. Not only does he have to get a bigger in the upper AND lower body, but he just needs to be over all stronger, and its much more than the regular jump we see needed from College Lineman to NFL lineman. Its much more like College Basketball player strength to NFL Lineman. He gets pushed around by guys in college, and while yes he has great body control to recover and never looks awful when it happens, NFL caliber players are going to eat that up. He has a bad anchor right now, and his hands seem all over the place. Worst of all he catches EVERYTHING, he almost never punches, and when he does it never redirects anyone.

Like I said, he has a really nice frame with great athletic ability and impressive length (which he hardly uses) so I can see while people salivate over him as a prospect. But when it comes to actual on field performance, I see a guy who has a LONG road ahead to become useful in the NFL.

Yes, that was a nice list you put together there, but thats what 8 guys stretching back to the 2004 draft class? How many OTs in your 3rd+ round range disappeared into nothing from the last 13 draft classes? There are plenty of OTs to like in the mid rounds this year, but they all have MASSIVE flaws once you get past the guys in the Top 50. So to tout Christian as some better than likely Franchise LT just waiting to be snapped up on late day 2 is disingenuous.

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats not what I said. If he has a solid floor of "atleast he will be a swing tackle for 6-8 years in the league" combined with this massive amount of potential many see in him, THEN he would be for sure a 1st round pick, because then teams would feel confident that there is a small chance they are completely wasting a pick, Especially in as weak of an OT class as we have seen in years at the Top.

That was just to emphasize my point that I dont see a floor for him. As in, he could be completely out of the league after his rookie deal. And Im glad you used Zierlein's report, because it also highlights some of the major issues I have with Christian. He is an amazing athlete for someone his size, sure, but he still looks like a Basketball player on a football field (plays way too high)

I don't particularly care, dude. I do my own evaluations. That's what I see in his game. Although, you continue to misrepresent my opinion when you say massive amount of potential. He doesn't have a massive amount of potential. He's not going to be Tyron Smith. If he continues to develop, I see Eugene Monroe. If he doesn't develop that well, I see Anthony Collins. I also thoroughly disagree with the claim that he plays high in the passing game. He sits in his stance when sliding as well as anyone in this class because of his tremendous flexibility. 

And nobody called him a better than likely franchise LT, so stop putting words in my mouth (especially after you accused me of doing the same). If you don't like the kid, let your criticisms and evaluation stand on their own merit. Dont try to bolster your credibility with fallacious arguments.

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And nobody called him a better than likely franchise LT, so stop putting words in my mouth

You just put him in the same conversation as David Bakhtiari, Jason Peters and Donald Penn. All guys who has recently been considered Top 5 LTs by many. And even if you want to look at the other guys you brought up (Villanueva, Armstead, Beachum, Leno) are Top 20 LTs, which most would consider 'Franchise'

So if you dont see Christian in the same realm as those guys, and werent trying to make it sound like we were getting that type of potential, then why would you bring them up?

You also brought up the NFC Oline coaches quote, which is all about potential. Thats where this conversation started. Now if you werent insinuating those things, my bad, but it really looks like you were. Seems like youve been down in the muck too much this draft season, no one was attacking you.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

You just put him in the same conversation as David Bakhtiari, Jason Peters and Donald Penn. All guys who has recently been considered Top 5 LTs by many. And even if you want to look at the other guys you brought up (Villanueva, Armstead, Beachum, Leno) are Top 20 LTs, which most would consider 'Franchise'

So if you dont see Christian in the same realm as those guys, and werent trying to make it sound like we were getting that type of potential, then why would you bring them up?

You also brought up the NFC Oline coaches quote, which is all about potential. Thats where this conversation started. Now if you werent insinuating those things, my bad, but it really looks like you were. Seems like youve been down in the muck too much this draft season, no one was attacking you.

Why would I bring them up? They are/were starting LTs drafted in the 3rd round or later. That's what I told you in the post.

The quote that only says he'll be a starter down road? You're reading things into comments that aren't there. Don't blame me for that.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why would I bring them up? They are/were starting LTs drafted in the 3rd round or later. That's what I told you in the post.

Wait, so you don't think that by picking an OT in the 3rd round (who is almost all potential based) and then saying "look at these other Top LTs that were drafted that range or later" that you are at the very least insinuating a correlation there?

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wait, so you don't think that by picking an OT in the 3rd round (who is almost all potential based) and then saying "look at these other Top LTs that were drafted that range or later" that you are at the very least insinuating a correlation there?

I think your argument was, "If he's as good as you say, why is he not a first round pick". I pointed out what a BS argumernt that is. But just in case you still doubt me:

Who did I say is his upside?

Archived