Jimmie Ward - CB or FS?

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Is he better than Johnson? The #2 CB is a very important position on any NFL roster and for all intents and purposes, Johnson has pretty much solidified his spot. Jerome has earned the right to be in the conversation as possible starter down the road maybe. But if Ward had been healthy and playing well thus far, are we even having this conversation? I just think its a bit premature to crown Jerome a definte starter and our CB corps in shambles and we haven't even played our first pre-season game yet. Roles and future projections will be defined as the season progresses. I dont want to jump to conclusions in August about the future. Let ALL the young guys prove themselves over the course of a season.

No, we wouldn't be having this conversation if Ward wasn't injured because we wouldn't have got to hear about Jerome's standout plays with the 1s. If Bledsoe didn't get hurt in 2001, would anyone have had the conversation that Brady needed to start over him? No. Doesn't change the fact that it's happened and a good problem has arisen from it. 

Plus, a couple notes - this is a thread talking about if by November Jerome is at FS and Ward is at CB. Nobody's crowning him anything. The only thing that seems premature is crowning concussed Dontae Johnson the #2 CB when the competition is still ongoing. Reaser was far and away the favorite entering camp. This thing has come in waves.  

I'm a little confused by your stance on this @757-NINER. In your first post you indicated you wanted to throw the young guys out there and let them sink or swim at CB, but seem completely against allowing Jerome to do the same. I understand you are probably more about Jimmie playing safety than you are against Jerome starting, but I'm with @y2lamanaki that we need to get the best combination of players on the field; in that's Johnson-Robinson-Ward-Reid, that's fine if it's Ward-Robinson-Jerome-Reid, that's also fine. I do agree with your sentiment that everyone should have to earn their spot, and I'm fairly confident in our staff in that regard just based off of how they are handling Rueben v Ray Ray, Solomon v Tank, & Beathard v Barkley thus far during camp.

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I'm a little confused by your stance on this @757-NINER. In your first post you indicated you wanted to throw the young guys out there and let them sink or swim at CB, but seem completely against allowing Jerome to do the same. I understand you are probably more about Jimmie playing safety than you are against Jerome starting, but I'm with @y2lamanaki that we need to get the best combination of players on the field; in that's Johnson-Robinson-Ward-Reid, that's fine if it's Ward-Robinson-Jerome-Reid, that's also fine. I do agree with your sentiment that everyone should have to earn their spot, and I'm fairly confident in our staff in that regard just based off of how they are handling Rueben v Ray Ray, Solomon v Tank, & Beathard v Barkley thus far during camp.

I want the best players at their respective positions to play. Can't be much clearer than that. I want Jerome to take his lumps on the field like the rest of the young guys if he's earned the right to. If Ward is the FS they envisioned when they made the decision to move him from CB to FS, then there should be no debate. Dont let CB play dictate the depth chart at FS. Go out and find better CBs or coach the talent that you have better. I only want see Jerome start at FS and Ward moved back to CB if its determined he's the better fit over Ward. Then you can make the case that moving Ward back to CB benefits all parties. But if Ward lights it up@FS and they still decide to move him back to CB to help out a group that is struggling, I would view that as a disservice to Ward.

I always want players to be put in the best position to succeed. Of course its a team game and sometimes sacrifices have to be made but I think it would hurt us and Ward, in the long run, to take a guy from a role where he's seemed to have found his niche as a player, and make him help us out elsewhere. 

55 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I always want players to be put in the best position to succeed. Of course its a team game and sometimes sacrifices have to be made but I think it would hurt us and Ward, in the long run, to take a guy from a role where he's seemed to have found his niche as a player, and make him help us out elsewhere. 

Could not disagree more. If Jerome is a player the team likes at FS, and they want to put both he and Ward on the field at the same time, then move Ward to CB. Simple as that. If they want Ward at FS, cool. We all want to see what he can do there. But get the best players on the field, period. 

I'm with you on this one @y2lamanaki we need our best 11 guys on the field. I don't get this blind faith in Jimmie Ward at FS. Yes, he played safety in college, but at this point probably has less experience at that position in the pros than Jerome, as he has been injured for all of TC while LJ has been out getting reps. I'm a big fan of the idea of Jerome being the starter at FS and moving Ward back to CB, a position I thought he should have stayed at in the first place, but to me it's pretty simple, you get your best 11 on the field. 

Just a current safety pecking order update from Barrows: 

Jaquiski Tartt had his most comprehensive practice since injuring his rib in the first week. He took some snaps with the first-string group at free safety with Eric Reid at strong safety. Lorenzo Jerome and Vinnie Sunseri also are options at free safety if the 49ers want to hold Tartt back on Friday. Chanceller James has been the second-team strong safety and Don Jones the third-string player.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article166381267.html

On 8/9/2017 at 10:11 AM, Gore Whore 21 said:

Brock just had his DV case dismissed. Maiacco tweeted that we may have interest in bringing him back. That would do wonders for our secondary.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:18 AM, Gore Whore 21 said:

...and apparently they are denying it.

This was weird...I hope this isn't something that comes up down the road

A strange situation with Brock indeed. I can't really see him wanting to come back after we axed him the second after the news broke. Which I get from Lynch's point of view taking over a team that has had a bit of a history in recent years with players and off field incidents, also sending a message to all players that it won't be put up with anymore. However I'd totally understand why Brock would laugh at us if we called him and walked off. Looks as though we could definitely use him though.

Archived