Vikings Pick at 30

goldfishwars

Really don’t see the Vikings drafting Daniels. He’s a pure C, and they already have Elflein there. Why force him to change positions?

There are several reports they’re planning to move Remmers to guard. That makes tackle the major immediate need, more than IOL (though Easton at LG is still worth upgrading if possible). 

Connor Williams is the easy choice there. He’s young (20 on draft day), and visited the Vikings as one of their top 30. Could end up starting at either tackle position, with Reiff on the other side. 

Maurice Hurst is the one player I’d be tempted to take even with the need on OL. DT could be one of the biggest needs in 2019, if Richardson moves on and if Jaleel Johnson doesn’t develop. 

But if they’re getting good value from a high skill player at their position of immediate need, can’t complain with making Williams the consensus pick. 

38 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Really don’t see the Vikings drafting Daniels. He’s a pure C, and they already have Elflein there. Why force him to change positions?

There are several reports they’re planning to move Remmers to guard. That makes tackle the major immediate need, more than IOL (though Easton at LG is still worth upgrading if possible). 

Connor Williams is the easy choice there. He’s young (20 on draft day), and visited the Vikings as one of their top 30. Could end up starting at either tackle position, with Reiff on the other side. 

Maurice Hurst is the one player I’d be tempted to take even with the need on OL. DT could be one of the biggest needs in 2019, if Richardson moves on and if Jaleel Johnson doesn’t develop. 

But if they’re getting good value from a high skill player at their position of immediate need, can’t complain with making Williams the consensus pick. 

Williams I find interesting. It’s really going to depend on what teams view him as. He came in a touch short on the arms for some teams to value him as an actual tackle, which I still do. If he is viewed as a guard, I could see his value dropping slightly and maybe getting pushed behind the other guards such as Hernandez.

Hurst also is an interesting study. While I have him as my #1 3-tech, everyone is dropping him out of the first now. His testing numbers weren’t exactly great at his pro-day, and his medicals most likely are still red flagged by teams. I believe Mayock even took him out of his top 5 tackles. Wouldn’t shock me to see him slide to the likes of a player like Nathan Shepard. 

Daniels is far from strictly a Center. While he was in command there this past year. In the previous years he has played guard a fair amount and succeeded very well. He also even had some slight experience at tackle. One reason he is so highly looked at is because of his intelligence and for his position flexibility. He even commented at the combine how he has no issue to switch to guard. 

12 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Daniels is far from strictly a Center. While he was in command there this past year. In the previous years he has played guard a fair amount and succeeded very well. He also even had some slight experience at tackle. 

The reports I can find online say Daniels started 2 games at guard as a freshman, then switched to C for his last 2 full years. Elflein last played guard in 2015 (switched to C his last year in college, then his rookie year with the Vikings. I think they'll both stay at C in the NFL.  

Of course Daniels would say he wouldn’t mind a switch to guard, none of these guys are going to say otherwise. He just doesn’t display the power or the anchor ability that’s needed at guard. If that’s where a team wants to put him, he’s a complete project. 

Archived