%'s of elway drafting certain positions?

thebestever6

Ok its a week before the draft so I think this would be fun to gauge what positions elway is likely to draft.

We can revisit this in a week.

Qb- 50% think he still has hope for Lynch and Kelly

Rb- 100% release of cj seals this

Wr- 100% need some young blood

Te - 60% more likely than not

Tackle- 80% need development guys 

Guard- 100% think guard is addressed 

Center 50% I think they like the Iowa guy not sure he can play guard.

De 50% always a possibly 

Nt- 40% not likely unless its Vae

Linebacker 100% I think he targets one definately 

Corner 80% closed to likely at some point

Safety  10% you never no but in my opinion a very long shot.

Kicker punter 0 I think an undrafted free agent kicker may happen but that'sit.

24 minutes ago, Ahhlucas said:

Quarterback is by far the most likely to be addressed, and addressed early.

How can you suggest by far when they just sunk a good amount of money into Keenum? I think they will wait a year to see what he does, along with Lynch and Kelly's progessions. 

20 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, you then have positionally addressed 7 of our 8 picks with at least a 60% or more. I agree with 50/50 on a QB

I kind of like this way of looking at it. The %'s add up to 8.2, which is about spot on for our 8 picks. 

RB / WR  / T / G / LB / CB seem like definite picks. Then we can bank on one defensive lineman, and i guess either a QB or a TE? 

2 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

I kind of like this way of looking at it. The %'s add up to 8.2, which is about spot on for our 8 picks. 

RB / WR  / T / G / LB / CB seem like definite picks. Then we can bank on one defensive lineman, and i guess either a QB or a TE? 

Well, it's a great theory but it lends to reaching to fill those "needs" on multiple occasions

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, it's a great theory but it lends to reaching to fill those "needs" on multiple occasions

Unfortunately I think we have enough "needs" to not have to reach on any certain position, and just fill in the back of the draft with positions that we missed.

It's weird, teams drafting at the back end of the 1st have the luxury of more often than not being more complete teams, able to pick BPA. Teams picking in the top 10 usually have enough needs they can basically take BPA. I think we all saw too many times being in that no mans land of the 12-24th picks where teams feel obligated to reach for positions.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

To be fair, BPA applies when there's a clear gap in talent.  By the time teams are drafting past pick 100+, there is so little difference, it's probably OK to go by need if someone doesn't stand out.   Elway's success ironically in Day 3 probably has more to do with his tendency to go insane-ceiling/bust-floor guys...in Day 3, the "safe" choices aren't difference-makers, or they're just as risky in different ways than the guys Elway looks to target.  It's in Day 2 (or worse, Day 1), where Elway either reaches for need, or goes for the bust-floor guys, where there are still talented decent-floor/high-ceiling guys, or worse, Elway reaches 1-2 rounds early for a guy he has to have in Rd2-3 when it should be a Day 3 pick (or let someone else take that risk), that's killed us.

I do agree going BPA may have us double up on some picks, for OL and ILB and WR, that would actually be a good thing (if we don't over-reach, of course).

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, BPA applies when there's a clear gap in talent.  By the time teams are drafting past pick 100+, there is so little difference, it's probably OK to go by need if someone doesn't stand out.   Elway's success ironically in Day 3 probably has more to do with his tendency to go insane-ceiling/bust-floor guys...in Day 3, the "safe" choices aren't difference-makers, or they're just as risky in different ways than the guys Elway looks to target.  It's in Day 2 (or worse, Day 1), where Elway either reaches for need, or goes for the bust-floor guys, where there are still talented decent-floor/high-ceiling guys, or worse, Elway reaches 1-2 rounds early for a guy he has to have in Rd2-3 when it should be a Day 3 pick (or let someone else take that risk), that's killed us.

I do agree going BPA may have us double up on some picks, for OL and ILB and WR, that would actually be a good thing (if we don't over-reach, of course).

Those are good points. The further down the board you get the less separation there is. That's why the top 5 picks are so valuable if you pick strictly BPA. That's potential HOF stuff up there.

Archived