Group Consensus Mock - Rd 5B Winner Poona Ford

JLambert58

Group Consensus Mock - Round 5B  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who are YOU taking with the 165th pick? (Rd 5B)

• Ike Boettger OT
    • Taylor Hearn OG
    • Toby Weathersby OG
    • Bradley Bozeman OC
    • Christopher Herndon TE
    • Tyler Conklin TE
    • J'Mon Moore WR
    • Cedrick Wilson WR
    • Justin Watson WR
    • Poona Ford DT
    • Justin Jones DT
    • Christian LaCouture DE
    • Chad Thomas DE
    • Kylie Fitts OLB
    • Tegray Scales OLB
    • Hercules Mata'afa OLB
    • Siran Neal SS/ST
    • J.C. Jackson CB
    • Tony Brown CB
    • Brandon Facyson CB

Here we go for our second 5th round pick.  Still some talent on the board.  Anybody we want that's left before Rd 7 we have to take him now.  Lots of different directions we could go here.

Thanks for voting.  (decided to make the voting public for the fun of it.)

Tough call here. I think Ford will end up being the winner but I'm not sure he's a good fit but in the 5th you're getting a solid player so that pick wouldn't bother me. Fitts would be an interesting pick here (especially considering Griffin won't be able to man the OLB position imo). I'm leaning towards Wilson or Neal. Wilson adds solid depth to a WR where the 4th WR is an old fast guy and a young guy who tore his ACL late last season. I really like Neal. If you want someone to bring some toughness/nastiness to the Defense he could be that guy. I think he could be a pretty good Nickel Backer. Also, with him and Griffin on STs we could have one of the better units in the NFL. 

Ugh, using a 3rd on a guy to count as a core special teamer when there were still enough starting quality players was bad enough, and now theres a possibility of 2?

Give me a guy who will contribute to the other units more regularly like Poona Ford, Brandon Facyson, or Chad Thomas.  If we burn two picks on players that can be projected to be core special team players and maybe roles in the defense I will burn down the franchise HQ out of anger.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Ugh, using a 3rd on a guy to count as a core special teamer when there were still enough starting quality players was bad enough, and now theres a possibility of 2?

Give me a guy who will contribute to the other units more regularly like Poona Ford, Brandon Facyson, or Chad Thomas.  If we burn two picks on players that can be projected to be core special team players and maybe roles in the defense I will burn down the franchise HQ out of anger.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting Neal would be just s STr or not. If so, I'd disagree. We aren't drafting any 2018 starters with the 2nd pick in Rd 5. With that said, while Neal would improve STs I see him being able to contribute early in the Dime situations. While I think the same could be said about the list you provided, Neal has the "It" factor imo and I think he could bring some much needed energy and aggressiveness to this Defense.    

I have a hard time figuring out how Chad Thomas is a late 5th rounder ...

Hercules is a steal at this point as well. Hes a football player , I understand the tweener concerns but I'll take my chances that he can play ILB, OLB, and Dline when asked. Nothing has changed since his freshman year when he was asked to play everyone of those roles, hes always been productive and caused havoc. 

I like JC and Poonah as well here. 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'm not sure if you are suggesting Neal would be just s STr or not. If so, I'd disagree. We aren't drafting any 2018 starters with the 2nd pick in Rd 5. With that said, while Neal would improve STs I see him being able to contribute early in the Dime situations. While I think the same could be said about the list you provided, Neal has the "It" factor imo and I think he could bring some much needed energy and aggressiveness to this Defense.    

Not saying he would be just a special teamer, but a core one with an outside shot at playing decent time on defense.  Facyson is the only one on the list that you could say that about.  Poona Ford is a Casey Hampton like player, Chad Thomas has the versatility to play 3, 5, 7, and 9 tech.  Both these guys can be regular rotational players at the DL spots.  Facyson a little more like Neal in mostly a ST player, but I rather take the guy that's a pure corner with already haven taken the FS n the second round.

43 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

And yet, nobody has voted for him.  There are always guys who slide further than people think.  He's considered a boom or bust prospect who's heart may or may not be in football.  

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not saying he would be just a special teamer, but a core one with an outside shot at playing decent time on defense.  Facyson is the only one on the list that you could say that about.  Poona Ford is a Casey Hampton like player, Chad Thomas has the versatility to play 3, 5, 7, and 9 tech.  Both these guys can be regular rotational players at the DL spots.  Facyson a little more like Neal in mostly a ST player, but I rather take the guy that's a pure corner with already haven taken the FS n the second round.

Chad Thomas is solid but I like our DE depth with Alualu and Walton. I don't see anything in Ford that represents Hampton. He can be controlled by 1 blocker and imo is better suited as a 3-Tech. But I agree he certainly has some value at this point of the draft (as does Thomas). Neal should never wander back into the land of FS. He is an in the box Safety. He can contribute in Dime situations and ultimately (hopefully) earn more PT in Nickel formations. To me, he is what "Killswitch" and Shamarko were supposed to be. 

This is easy.  Justin Watson.  I missed 3 & 5A though, so idk where we're at for sure here.  After looking, I must say I'd be extremely disappointed if we wasted the 3rd and 1st pick in 5 on Ballage and Griffen.  A guy in Ballage that was actually benched in college and is just an athlete?  A guy without a hand that is undersized and has a terrible physique for a LB even if he had a hand.  Yuck.  I get that they're fast and athletic, but I'll be shocked if either of them are that good.  

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

And yet, nobody has voted for him.  There are always guys who slide further than people think.  He's considered a boom or bust prospect who's heart may or may not be in football.  

I am not a fan of Chad Thomas for the Steelers in any round

I went Chad Thomas ?. I don’t see him consistently two gapping but my man is a solid football player.  Thomas can play the run and the pass well.  I liked him last year at 265 but at 280, he grew out of the OLB position.

I can see him sliding inside and using his quickness against the OL.

Had a tough time deciding, but finally went with Cedrick Wilson Jr.   He's got the NFL and Steeler pedigree.  I just like his route running and he would be the perfect #4 WR to balance out the depth chart.  With Rogers coming off an ACL, I think he fills an important need.  Can learn at the feet of the master.  

14 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Hercules is a steal at this point as well. Hes a football player , I understand the tweener concerns but I'll take my chances that he can play ILB, OLB, and Dline when asked. Nothing has changed since his freshman year when he was asked to play everyone of those roles, hes always been productive and caused havoc. 

I like JC and Poonah as well here. 

I am going to do my final mock today and I am torn between Hercules and Joe Ostman in this range.  I think both would be tremendous values, but depends on how the rest of the draft goes.  I see Hercules as an ILB and Ostman as an OLB.  Both will play special teams and need time to grow into their positions. Ostman can set the edge and play the run well and I believe that he can develop into a very underrated pass rusher because of his motor.

Hercules is a beast.  Another guy who just fights and goes and goes.  I think that once he learns how to read as an ILB, he will be dominating.  OL's are not going to get to his body, he will blow up lead blockers and if he learns to move laterally, he will make a lot of tackles.  My only concern is his lateral movement, but I like everything that I seen from a guy weighing 250 lbs playing on the DL against guys who outweigh him 50 - 60 lbs.

43 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am going to do my final mock today and I am torn between Hercules and Joe Ostman in this range.  I think both would be tremendous values, but depends on how the rest of the draft goes.  I see Hercules as an ILB and Ostman as an OLB.  Both will play special teams and need time to grow into their positions. Ostman can set the edge and play the run well and I believe that he can develop into a very underrated pass rusher because of his motor.

Hercules is a beast.  Another guy who just fights and goes and goes.  I think that once he learns how to read as an ILB, he will be dominating.  OL's are not going to get to his body, he will blow up lead blockers and if he learns to move laterally, he will make a lot of tackles.  My only concern is his lateral movement, but I like everything that I seen from a guy weighing 250 lbs playing on the DL against guys who outweigh him 50 - 60 lbs.

Hercules needs to use his hands better.  He has good hands but too often relies on his quickness and when that is stopped, he looks like a fish out of water.  I do like him but he needs serious refinement.

Archived