Mock Draft W/Explanations And One Blockbuster Trade

stl4life07

8 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

You intentionally make a bad pick in your much to try to "draft bad like the Browns draft" except this is an entirely new front office that you have not seen drafting for the Browns. Terrible logic.

I'm pretty sure he reference John Dorsey, your new GM when discussing the Allen pick. So he did reference the "entirely new front office".

49ers - Denzel Ward might be the concensus best CB in this draft, and they do need quality at that position beyond Witherspoon and Sherman, but Ward doesn't seem like the logical player for them. Joshua Jackson, Quenton Meeks or Holton Hill fit the profile a lot better...

I think it's more likely they would trade down or pick Smith, Edmunds or Landry at #9.

22 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

New England send 23rd, 31st, and 43rd overall picks to Denver for the 5th overall pick

ROUND 1

1. Cleveland Browns – Josh Allen QB Wyoming: Early in the process it was reported the Browns would take Allen. I believe the GM Dorsey loves big armed QB’s and he even mentioned about looking at hand sizes as a way to evaluate QB’s. Allen has the biggest hand size of the top QB’s in the draft. He also has the biggest ceiling of all the QB’s. While I personally think Allen isn’t the best QB in the draft, I believe the Browns think so and thus they will take him here.

2. New York Giants – Sam Darnold QB USC: Darnold is the best QB in the draft in my opinion. The Giants would’ve probably taken Barkley, Chubb, or even traded the pick if Darnold wasn’t here. Since he is here, the Giants will take him and he will be the future. He is every bit the type of QB for the Giants franchise for the next decade plus. Eli will be the bridge to Darnold just like Warner was the bridge to Eli when he was a rookie.

3. New York Jets (from Indianapolis Colts) – Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma: Most think the Jets should take Rosen here. I think Mayfield is the wildcard here. Despite Mayfield’s antics, he has shown to be a great competitor and has the skills to produce on the field despite all of the metrics that are against him. The Jets need a guy like Mayfield in the division with Brady. Mayfield wont be scared to go head to head with Brady because his mindset will be that he could not only outplay Brady but beat him. Mayfield will give the Jets that winning mentality which will be contagious in the organization and could help turn the losing culture of the Jets into a winning culture.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) – Saquon Barkley HB Penn State: I don’t think this pick make sense because the Browns signed Hyde and is talking about an extension with Johnson. No doubt Barkley is talent but why invest in another back? This is a typical Browns move. So unless they are going to move on from Johnson, this pick doesn’t make sense. With that being said, Barkley is the most talented back in this draft. He will give the Browns another dynamic weapon to help build on to their offense from what they already did this offseason.

5. *TRADE* New England Patriots (from Denver Broncos) – Josh Rosen QB UCLA: The Patriots make the first real surprise move of this draft. They get aggressive by trading up because the Broncos will have other suitors trying to trade with them. The Patriots get Brady future replacement in Rosen. Belichick never wanted to trade Jimmy G, but the good news is Rosen potentially can be better than Jimmy G. So whether Brady really is not committed for this upcoming season or he wants to play another few seasons, the Patriots now have the future in Rosen.

6. Indianapolis Colts (from New York Jets) – Bradley Chubb EDGENC State: This is an easy pick for the Colts. They havent had an elite pass rusher since the likes of Mathis and Freeney. Now they have Chubb. This is one pick of many that the Colts will use to help build around Luck.

7. TampaBay Buccaneers – Darwin James S Florida State: This probably will shock some because many are thinking Minkah will be the first safety chosen and this is the spot he goes. I think James will be the guy the Bucs go with. I have heard Lance Zuerlein mentioned to not be shocked if Minkah slides outside the top 10. He talked about how many people scouts view him. I personally like James over Minkah. James have been quietly underrated. The Bucs need help in the secondary, specifically at safety and James is a great prospect to help their need.

8. Chicago Bears – Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame: It wouldn’t shock me if Nelson goes higher. He is one of the safest players in the draft, but he so happens to play the wrong position in terms of where a team would take a guard. With that said, I never understood why the Bears released Sitton, but Nelson is a great replacement for him. Trubisky and Howard will be happy with this pick.

9. San Francisco 49ers – Denzel Ward CB Ohio State: If Ward falls here, the Niners will be very happy as reports are that they really am high on him. He will start opposite and learn from one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL in Sherman. This pick makes sense for the Niners.

10. Oakland Raiders – Roquan Smith ILB Georgia: This is the kind of guy that coach Gruden would love to pick. Think of him like what Gruden had in Tampa with Derrick Brooks. The Raiders will continue to fix a defense that was very bad. Mack needs help and Smith will be a great addition on defense.

11. Miami Dolphins – Vita VeaNTWashington: An obvious need for the Dolphins is a big gaping hole left by Suh. I really like Vea and think he will fill in that hole very nice in the middle of the Dolphins defensive line.

12. Buffalo Bills (from Cincinnati Bengals) – Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame: The missed out on the big 4 QB’s. They could go Jackson here but I think it’s too high. They go with the best tackle on the board to replace Glenn who they traded to the Bengals.

13. Washington Redskins – Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama: Finally the slide has stopped. I think the Redskins fans would be thrilled if the Redskins were able to take Fitzpatrick. After trading away their former draft pick Cravens to the Broncos, the Redskins get another talented player to put in their secondary.

14. Green Bay Packers – Trumaine Edmunds ILB Virginia Tech: The Packers go with BPA and that’s Edmunds. They do have a need at inside linebacker too so this the perfect scenario where BPA meets need.

15. Arizona Cardinals – Lamar Jackson QB Louisville: The Cardinals go the most dynamic player in the draft. Yes, Jackson is more dynamic than Barkley. I feel like the Cardinals need to come away in this draft, specifically the on Day 1 or Day 2, with their QB of the future. In the NFC West, the Seahawks, Rams, and Niners have their futures safely figured out because of their QB’s. The Cardinals cant say that. With them drafting Jackson, they will now have their QB of the future. He can learn and develop behind Bradford and Glennon for a year then come in and take over next season.

16. Baltimore Ravens – Calvin Ridley WR Alabama: This is the classic GM Newsome pick. The Ravens made no secret they messed up in regards to building their receiving group and now they are trying to fix the issue. They signed Crabtree and they could make a play for Dez. I don’t think they land Dez. Ridley by many is the best receiver in what is a weak draft class at that position. I have heard him being compared to Reggie Wayne. Ive even heard him being compared to Golden Tate. Im sure Ravens fans would be thrilled if he turned out to be either guy in their receiving group.

17. Los Angeles Chargers – Taven Bryan DT Florida: He is regarded as the most talented defensive tackles in the draft. The Chargers could use help in the middle especially with Liuget being suspended to start the season. I could see the Chargers taking Bryan and helping him reach his high ceiling to be the best defensive tackle in this draft.

18. Seattle Seahawks – Kolton Miller OT UCLA: I understand the Seahawks need to replenish some of the pieces they lost on defense but at some point the Seahawks need to start getting blue chip guys on the offensive line to protect Wilson. As an LSU fan, I didn’t like the fact the Seahawks draft Pocic and turned him into a tackle. He isn’t a tackle. He is a guard at best, but really a center. Miller is raw, but is talented. With the right coaching, Miller could easily be the future protector of Wilson blind side for the next decade plus.

19. Dallas Cowboys – Courtland Sutton WR SMU: We know the Cowboys desperately need a receiver since they released Dez. Garrett was at Sutton pro day and really liked what he saw. It wouldn’t shock me if they went with Moore, but Sutton to some is the best receiver in this draft. He certainly has the size and skill set to be one of the better receivers in the NFL.

20. Detroit Lions – Marcus Davenport EDGE UTSA: He has drawn comparisons to Ansah and guess what? He will play opposite of him on the defensive line. Coach Patricia knows how important it is to have pass rushers, because the he had to see a lot of them walk out of the door in New England which affected his defense in a negative way. Having Ansah on one side and Davenport on the other side could be a potential nightmare for years to come if Davenport can develop into what Ansah is in the NFL today.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (from Buffalo Bills) – Isaiah Wynn OG/OC Georgia: The Bengals continue to fix the offensive line. Wynn comes from Georgia and helped their rushing game to be dominant blocking for Michel and Chubb. The Bengals hope he can come in and do the same for Mixon and Bernard. By doing so it will help take pressure off of Dalton in the passing game.

22. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City Chiefs) – Darius Guice HB LSU: Another shocker that people might not expect happening. I think it makes sense for the Bills to start thinking about the plan not only behind McCoy but life after McCoy. Although McCoy is 29, he will be 30 this year and that’s when backs usually start to decline. Guice is similar to McCoy in terms of style of play plus work ethic. I think having Guice, the Bills can allow McCoy to get less of the work which will help him stay healthy for the entire season and when its time to start thinking about McCoy not being in a Bills uniform anymore, Guice will step in and the Bills running game wont miss a beat.

23. Denver Broncos (from New England Patriots from Los Angeles Rams) – Harold LandryEDGEBostonCollege: I think Harold is one of the best pass rushers in this draft. Profootballfocus thinks he is the best pass rusher in this draft, even over Chubb. The only question mark for Harold is injury concerns. If you go look at his 2016 tape it will tell you everything you need to know about how dominant Harold can be. If Harold turns out to be better than Chubb, the Broncos just traded out of the 5th spot (passed on Chubb), got extra picks in the process and still was able to land the best pass rusher in this draft class. Smart move by John Elway I most say.

24. Carolina Panthers – Will Hernandez OG UTEP: The Panthers lost Norwell in free agency to the Jaguars. They need to fill in that hole. Hernandez is an under the radar prospect who will be a great selection by the Panthers.

25. Tennessee Titans – Da’Ron Payne NT Alabama: The Titans missed out on the Suh sweepstakes. They however get a guy who was dominant the College Football Playoffs for Alabama who won the National Championship. I have even heard that Payne could be the best defensive tackle to come out of Alabama since Marcell Dareus and we know how he has worked out in the NFL.

26. Atlanta Falcons – Maurice Hurst DT Michigan: I know there were questions surrounding his health at the combine but I think everything is fine. Yes I could see him falling out of the 1st round but he has 1st round talent. I don’t know what the Falcons think of him but what I do know is they lost Poe in free agency and it makes sense to find his replacement here. Hurst could be a player that we look back years from now and put him inside the top 10-15 in redraft scenarios.

27. New Orleans Saints – Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina: The Saints need a tight end in the worst way. I know they just signed Watson but he is old. Fleener just hasn’t really worked out. The Saints was in the Graham sweepstakes but he chose to go to Green Bay. Hurst have drawn comparisons to Zach Ertz of Philadelphia. The only negative to Hurst is that he is will be a 25yr old rookie. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. We saw how Kupp turned out being an older rookie by age. Brees will love Hurst as the Saints are in win now mode before Brees hangs them up for a gold jacket down the road.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers – Leighton VanderEschILBBoiseState: I think many people mock him here. The Steelers defense was terrible when Shazier got hurt. Unfortunately we know Shazier will miss the entire 2018 season. When he comes back hopefully he will still play at the same level he was playing before he got hurt if not better. With that being said, right now the Steelers need to get a talented player in the middle of their defense. LVE didn’t start but one season at BoiseState but he played great in his one season. He has room to continue to grow and get better but the Steelers will be thrilled to have him on their team to teach and watch him grow as a good to great NFL player.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars – Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M: Kirk is the best receiver in this draft class in my opinion. I understand the Jaguars signed Moncrief but it was only for one year. They did however lose Robinson and Hurns. Mike Mayock states that Ridley and Kirk are the best route runners in this draft. I trust in Mayock evaluations. Having Kirk in the receiving group with Moncrief, Lee, and Westbrook will help give Bortles enough weapons to succeed in.

30. Minnesota Vikings – Ronnie Harrison S Alabama: The Vikings don’t really have many needs so I just think they will start to look a little bit into the future. They have a 30 year safety in Sendejo, and while he is really good, the Vikings could get some youth and quality depth. Harrison comes from an Alabama program who we know Saban is a defensive backs guy. He knows how to coach them the right way. I could see Harrison coming in from Saban straight to the NFL to coach Zimmer and only getting better.

31. Denver Broncos (from New England Patriots) – Josh Jackson CB Iowa: A player I really like at cornerback just fell down to the bottom of the 1st round in another potential steal for John Elway and the Broncos. Jackson is a lengthy type of cornerback in the mold of a Richard Sherman. The Broncos traded away Aquib Talib and got younger and cheaper with Jackson. Having Jackson to pair with Harris Jr. and Roby will get the Broncos fans thinking “No Fly Zone 2.0”.

32. Philadelphia Eagles – Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado: He is another underrated player in the draft by some people. The Eagles lost Robinson in free agency who went back to the team that drafted him in the Saints. The Eagles already have Darby and they will be getting a healthy Jones who I thought was possibly the best cornerback in last years draft but got hurt at his pro day and he slide down the draft. Adding Oliver will continue to strengthen the only real weakness the  Eagles had which was in the secondary.

Just a heads up on this blockbuster.  There is NO WAY John Elway would ever work with the Partiots in this way.  Actually, only Tampa and Chicago in the top 10 would be even slight suitors. I think Patriot fans are panicked about the thought of life after Brady, and losing sight of the fact that the roster is falling apart.  Just to put this one to bed as one of the Bronco voices.  You can start over.  :)

Archived