***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

29 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Is Thor now the most powerful avenger? 

Apart from Captain Marvel, whom it sounds like could defeat Thanos alone.

Depends on how strong they allow Strange to be. But currently alive Avengers he's without a doubt the strongest.

58 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

What did you not like about it?

The plot was complete trash. So much of it was forced and made no sense.

Thanos shows up with no real motivation and beats Thor, Loki, and the hulk without showing us how. He has the power stone randomly but ok. Then Loki just gives him the space stone after Heimdall uses his last effort to save mark ruffalos useless POS face instead of getting Loki and the stone out even though Heimdall knew.

Then later, thanos' captains wreck strange, ironman, and Spidey because the producers apparently ran out of money for CG so the hulk couldn't show up. This is also despite the fact that strange was able to just portal the bad guys away and cut them in half doing it, he gets wrecked anyways, so whatever.

Then they are able to somehow beat knockoff Snoke even though he was clearly already shown to have strong enough force powers to stop himself getting sucked out of a ship, but they can't go home because strange ran out of minutes on his portal powers so they crash into thanos 'hometown.

Then Thanos just gets the reality stone off screen cause these things are basically Happy meal toys right?

After that, gamora is so serious about never giving Thanos the soul stone she asks her love to kill her if Thanos gets her. That doesn't work out and she gives in and gives up the soulstone after 20 seconds of her Android sister who she doesn't even  like that much being tortured.

Later, they defeat thanos but Chris Pratt hadn't got enough screen time yet so he screws up everything (and strange wasn't able to cut off Thanos' arm because his short distance portal powers we're on cooldown apparently) and thanks beats them all down.

Then strange GIVES thanos the time stone, because it's the only way they could win in the 14 million versions where strange doesn't just go back in time and bang Thanos' mom so he can just raise him as a better person.

That's 3/4 stones that Thanos is just given when they were never accessible to him and 2/4 stones he just gets off screen for plot.

Thanos goes to wakanda where the final battle is taking place and the most advanced nation on Earth engages in a medieval battle straight out of lotr instead of just bombing the enemies ground forces.

Also, I just want to stop here to point out how much I hate mark ruffalo. Bruce banner is not the gd hero, the hulk is. I understand why Tony Stark and Peter Parker have masks that go away when combat isn't going on so they can show the actors faces, and why they show tony's face in the helmet with the HUD, they have to give the actors screen time. But mark ruffalo ends up in the hulkbuster because again, they ran out of CG money and also of course they would have that armor on the ship to wakanda with them randomly. During that whole fight with Mark ruffalo vs that thanos goon (they all went unnamed during the movie except that one guy who was mentioned once, wtf) I was getting more and more pissed off at Mark's stupid little face. When he finally defeats the goon and opens the cockpit to pop his smarmy little face out I died a little inside. Just such an utter trash part of the movie.

Back to Wikipedia-ing the plot from the comics and adding bad jokes, or as the writers call it, the plot of the movie.

Thanos gets the mind stone, the only single stone he wasn't just given or gets offscreen by using the time stone that STRANGE GAVE TO HIM FOR NO REASON. So Thanos earns nothing with his powers in the entire movie. Thanos isn't the bad guy, the avengers are. They killed half the universe by giving all of the stones away. Thor comes in and is able to somehow be stronger than thanos with all the infinity stones and kills the crap out of him before Thanos is like "lol bro" and snaps his fingers, killing half the universe, which would have been half cool if it wasn't completely obvious that it was going to happen. They talked about it like 3 times in the movie before it happens, what trash writing is that?

And then finally, we see our heroes disappearing. Bucky goes and you're like "damn man" we see entire crowds of Wakandan soldiers turning to dust in the field and it starts to impact you, Then Chadwick Boseman, star of the $1.3 Billion dollar Black Panther movie, the movie about which Kevin Feige said there were "ideas and a pretty solid direction on where we want to head with the second one ", dies and you realize it's ALL FAKE. Then they manage to turn every single other new star to dust. Dr. Strange, Spiderman, Starlord, etc. All the people who are still CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED to star in more Marvel movies are dead. And just like I alluded to before, the true plot twist is that Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Mark Ruffalo, all the original Avengers, are all still alive, proving that they were behind Thanos the whole time. All the Rumors about RDJ, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and the Hulk wanting out of the MCU were lies all along to trick the new actors into thinking they were safe, but now we know that there will never be a Spiderman 2 or a Black Panther 2 or a Dr. Strange 2, or a Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

And that's just me complaining about how bad the plot is. I could have gone into things like the movie not actually having any cool or powerful moments, or how the 38 heroes all overshadowed each other and made everyone look equally weak. It's just NOT a good movie. It might be good for Marvel fan boys and I'm not going to hate on that or ruin anybodies parade, I'm glad you could enjoy it, but it was impossible for me to enjoy.

The best part of this movie was Chris Hemsworth calling Rocket a Rabbit.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

Yeah, he said there is only 1 possibility of them winning this war out of 14 or 41 million. This has to be the way it happens. 

It HAS to be because he couldn't have told Star lord to wait a minute before ruining everything, or go back in time and hug Thanos as a child.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Said nobody, ever.

My wife and one of my buddies agreed. I haven't talked to anybody in real life who liked it yet. Read my above post and tell me how i'm wrong about everything though please. I'd love to be able to rewatch it and enjoy it tbh.

6 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Thanos shows up with no real motivation and beats Thor, Loki, and the hulk without showing us how. He has the power stone randomly but ok. Then Loki just gives him the space stone after Heimdall uses his last effort to save mark ruffalos useless POS face instead of getting Loki and the stone out even though Heimdall knew.

Then later, thanos' captains wreck strange, ironman, and Spidey because the producers apparently ran out of money for CG so the hulk couldn't show up. This is also despite the fact that strange was able to just portal the bad guys away and cut them in half doing it, he gets wrecked anyways, so whatever.

Then they are able to somehow beat knockoff Snoke even though he was clearly already shown to have strong enough force powers to stop himself getting sucked out of a ship, but they can't go home because strange ran out of minutes on his portal powers so they crash into thanos 'hometown.

Then Thanos just gets the reality stone off screen cause these things are basically Happy meal toys right?

After that, gamora is so serious about never giving Thanos the soul stone she asks her love to kill her if Thanos gets her. That doesn't work out and she gives in and gives up the soulstone after 20 seconds of her Android sister who she doesn't even  like that much being tortured.

Later, they defeat thanos but Chris Pratt hadn't got enough screen time yet so he screws up everything (and strange wasn't able to cut off Thanos' arm because his short distance portal powers we're on cooldown apparently) and thanks beats them all down.

Then strange GIVES thanos the time stone, because it's the only way they could win in the 14 million versions where strange doesn't just go back in time and bang Thanos' mom so he can just raise him as a better person.

That's 3/4 stones that Thanos is just given when they were never accessible to him and 2/4 stones he just gets off screen for plot.

Thanos goes to wakanda where the final battle is taking place and the most advanced nation on Earth engages in a medieval battle straight out of lotr instead of just bombing the enemies ground forces.

Also, I just want to stop here to point out how much I hate mark ruffalo. Bruce banner is not the gd hero, the hulk is. I understand why Tony Stark and Peter Parker have masks that go away when combat isn't going on so they can show the actors faces, and why they show tony's face in the helmet with the HUD, they have to give the actors screen time. But mark ruffalo ends up in the hulkbuster because again, they ran out of CG money and also of course they would have that armor on the ship to wakanda with them randomly. During that whole fight with Mark ruffalo vs that thanos goon (they all went unnamed during the movie except that one guy who was mentioned once, wtf) I was getting more and more pissed off at Mark's stupid little face. When he finally defeats the goon and opens the cockpit to pop his smarmy little face out I died a little inside. Just such an utter trash part of the movie.

Back to Wikipedia-ing the plot from the comics and adding bad jokes, or as the writers call it, the plot of the movie.

Thanos gets the mind stone, the only single stone he wasn't just given or gets offscreen by using the time stone that STRANGE GAVE TO HIM FOR NO REASON. So Thanos earns nothing with his powers in the entire movie. Thanos isn't the bad guy, the avengers are. They killed half the universe by giving all of the stones away. Thor comes in and is able to somehow be stronger than thanos with all the infinity stones and kills the crap out of him before Thanos is like "lol bro" and snaps his fingers, killing half the universe, which would have been half cool if it wasn't completely obvious that it was going to happen. They talked about it like 3 times in the movie before it happens, what trash writing is that?

And then finally, we see our heroes disappearing. Bucky goes and you're like "damn man" we see entire crowds of Wakandan soldiers turning to dust in the field and it starts to impact you, Then Chadwick Boseman, star of the $1.3 Billion dollar Black Panther movie, the movie about which Kevin Feige said there were "ideas and a pretty solid direction on where we want to head with the second one ", dies and you realize it's ALL FAKE. Then they manage to turn every single other new star to dust. Dr. Strange, Spiderman, Starlord, etc. All the people who are still CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED to star in more Marvel movies are dead. And just like I alluded to before, the true plot twist is that Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Mark Ruffalo, all the original Avengers, are all still alive, proving that they were behind Thanos the whole time. All the Rumors about RDJ, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and the Hulk wanting out of the MCU were lies all along to trick the new actors into thinking they were safe, but now we know that there will never be a Spiderman 2 or a Black Panther 2 or a Dr. Strange 2, or a Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

And that's just me complaining about how bad the plot is. I could have gone into things like the movie not actually having any cool or powerful moments, or how the 38 heroes all overshadowed each other and made everyone look equally weak. It's just NOT a good movie. It might be good for Marvel fan boys and I'm not going to hate on that or ruin anybodies parade, I'm glad you could enjoy it, but it was impossible for me to enjoy.

You will get my 1st and only ever "like" on FF

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

1) Shows up with no real motivation? Maybe just initially you don't know the exact motivation but we find out pretty quickly and that interest in reducing a planet's population to rid the world of starvation and suffering was pretty well explained. Beats Loki and Thor without showing us how? Pretty sure it shows us exactly how. They literally attacked the small transport vessel with Thanos' massive ship and then proceeded to board it after it took substantial damage. Only reason Thor, Loki, and the Hulk survived the initial onslaught is becaues Thor and Loki are literally gods and because Hulk can't die. And as for how he specifically and individually defeated them, it's shown that he is physically capable of dominating the Hulk. Which means he can certainly dominate Loki. And he has the power stone to Thor's head.

I will give it to you that it was odd that Heimdall decided to teleport Hulk. That part of it was confusing for me as well.

But it's not a mystery why Loki gave Thanos the space stone. He was about to blow up Thor's head with the power stone. I'd say that's a pretty good reason for Loki to give in at that point.

2) Hulk not showing up isn't something they skipped out on because of the budget. It's clearly a part of Hulk's character development. During Ragnorok, Banner was scared that if Hulk came out even one more time, that he might not be able to change back. Well, it happened at the end of Ragnorok and he turned into the Hulk. And we see Hulk lose in a battle for maybe the first time ever and Thanos made it look easy. We've never seen Hulk and Banner look vulnerable before. It's a part of Hulk's character development. Ruffalo has said that's going to be Hulk's story for Avengers 3 and 4.

3) Strange was able to use the portal to send one bad guy away. And that was the guy who didn't have similar powers to him. Ebony Maw was in essence more powerful than Strange. This is something that they showed for the entirety of Maw's time on screen. He was clearly the strongest of Thanos' followers. And they pretty clearly showed how he had the upper hand on Strange. The only thing Strange was able to do was protect the time stone using a spell. Which is why Maw was torturing him.

Not sure what you mean by them showing he was strong enough to prevent getting sucked off a ship. Not sure they actually did that but I could be wrong. Either way, that's a very plausible death...

4) They clearly explain why they didn't just "portal home". Tony convinced Strange that they could try to stop Thanos on Titan because he wouldn't be expecting them to be there. And that's pretty much exactly how that went down.

5) As for the protection of the Reality Stone, yeah, it's pretty much a happy meal toy. It's not even being guarded. It's just the Collector having it. Pretty sure any of the characters in the movie could roll up and get it from the collector if they wanted. End of Thor, they took it there because they figured no one would go looking for it there and because they didn't want two infinity stones so close on Asgard. It wouldn't have been hard for Thanos to get it at all.

6) It's pretty obvious that Gamora does actually care about her sister. At a certain point, you have to realize that Thanos will find out where the soul stone is anyways. Gamora giving up the location saves Nebula's life. She is not just going to sit there and let Thanos torture and kill Nebula especially knowing that he'll just get it anyways.

7) Again, can't really give you an answer on why Strange doesn't just use the portal to cut off everyone's hands and heads. And Peter losing it and attacking Thanos was a bit hard to understand for me as well. At least, initially. Peter lost his mother because his father killed her. He killed his biologic father and in the process lost the only person who was ever a father figure. He has literally lost everyone he has ever loved. And he just found out that he lost Gamora. It's entirely irrational why he attacked Thanos. By that token, it was also entirely irrational of Tony to ignore what Steve and Bucky were saying in Civil War. They were trying to tell Tony that Bucky didn't do it and that someone set him up. And Tony ignored them and attacked Bucky when he found out that Bucky killed his parents. Was it rational of Tony to try and fight through Steve to do it? No. But sometimes people do dumb stuff because they're angry.

8) Yes, if banging Thanos' mom was the way to prevent Thanos from doing this, sure. You got the writers. Can't believe they didn't think of that as a viable option to include in a major motion picture.

But in all seriousness, the whole idea is that this specific scenario was the one scenario out of 14 million. Giving him the stone leading to him winning was the only viable option. Because Tony had to be alive for them to win. I think that's what Strange recognized when he saw the one scenario. I'm pretty confident that will be the major idea behind Avengers 4 and that it will really center on Tony's importance.

9) As for the stones that Thanos "just gets off screen for plot", he destroyed Xandar and that actually would have been interesting to see and include but understandable why they didn't since the movie was already quite long. And I don't think it was entirely crucial to see Thanos dominate the Collector to get the reality stone. I actually liked seeing how he tricked Gamora and how they used that scene to develop their background and relationship a little bit.

10) Again, sucks that you didn't care for the Banner part of it. Like I mentioned above, they're trying to develop that character and make him more than just Hulk smashing things. I think most people recognize that what Hulk's character interesting is the dynamic between Hulk and Banner. Obviously, it's really cool to watch Hulk go nuts and dominate a bunch of people. We've seen that every single movie with Banner. I actually like seeing that Thanos scared Hulk. Adds to the seriousness of the situation. If you can just throw the Hulk at Thanos and expect him to win, then what's the point of the movie? Thanos is that powerful on his own and even without the stones. And I think this whole Hulk vs. Thanos leading to a scared Hulk captures that.

11) Again, Strange didn't give him the time stone for no reason. That much should be obvious from paying attention to the movie. He literally told Stark that he would sacrifice Tony and Spider-man if they were going to die in order to protect the time stone. Why do you think that changed? And why did that happen after he tried to observe every scenario? Like I said above, he's finding out that Tony is critical to this and that to beat Thanos, they have to let him accomplish his goal first.

As for your complaint of him just being given those stones, that's not exactly true. He was going to kill Thor and threatened Loki with Thor's life to get it. And in the end, he ended up seemingly kill every Asgardian and killing Loki. He destroyed Xandar, although it was unfortunately off screen. He was going to kill Stark and was on the verge of killing everyone on Titan after their plan failed. And in that case, yes, Strange gave it to him. However, as I've said a couple times now, I think Strange gave it to him because he knows this is the only way to win.

12) Thor's probably the only character capable of going toe to toe with Thanos (without the stones) and that's only because he has the new weapon that he helped create. And yes, he does nearly kill Thanos but again, that point of him not dying from that kind of drives home the point that this isn't Malekith or Loki or Killmonger or Ronan or any other villain in the universe. He's the most powerful and the most capable villain and that's even before he gets the stones. It's driving the point home that you really can't beat this guy. And that's also driven home by Strange saying there's only one scenario where they win.

As for the snap, yeah they hinted at it multiple times before. Because apparently that's a huge part of Thanos' character in the comics. That's kind of his thing and what he's known for. Seems like it was a nice tip of the cap to fans of the comics. And no, it wasn't exactly obvious throughout the whole movie that it actually was going to happen. I knew what was going to happen thanks to spoilers but based on the way the movie was going, it wasn't obvious that Thanos was actually going to get all the stones. The fact that he actually did was a surprise to me when I read the spoilers. I figured maybe that's something that wouldn't happen in this particular movie and maybe something that they would tie together in the next movie.

13) If you think all the characters that just vanished are staying dead, I think that really calls into question pretty much everything you've posted. That's some basic logic right there. Doesn't even really take critical thinking to realize that those characters aren't staying dead. There is already a Sprider-man sequel announced and in production. And a Guardians of the Galaxy Sequel announced. And all indications that Dr. Strange and Black Panther are going to get sequels. Do you really think the executives at Disney would pass that up? Not a chance.

14) No cool or powerful moments? That sucks for you. Plenty of cool and powerful moments. I can't even begin to count the number of times people in my theater were cheering and clapping or there was an audible gasp. Loki getting choked out and acknowledging that he was a son of Odin to Thor? Captain America showing up? Gamora getting killed? Tony getting stabbed? Thor restarting the forge? Groot cutting off his hand for the weapon? Black Panther and Captain America sprinting out in front of the army putting their super soldier abilities on display? Thor showing up in Wakanda and just destroying those alien things? Thanos ripping the mind stone out of Vision's head? Thor's weapon nearly killing Thanos? And literally all these people disappearing?

None of that was cool or powerful? Man, that really does suck for you.

Bummer that you didn't like it. That's too bad for you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Thanos had obvious motivation. They clearly laid it out. He went after them at the beginning because Loki had a stone. That's why he was there. Pretty sure they already showed him getting the power stone or alluding to it in another movie as well. Most of your complaints are garbage and baseless tbh. Most of your whining is basically they didn't overuse the magic stone to rewrite time every time something bad happened. That'd sure be a great movie to watch. If you don't understand why who lived lived and why who died died that's your fault, not the writers or directors. Why would getting the reality stone be difficult? The collector is going to just stop Thanos? Right. The only things that have merit is Ruffalo sucks hard and Gamora changed her tune way too quick for giving up the stone. Even then she still tried killing herself before he could succeed.

My wife and one of my buddies agreed. I haven't talked to anybody in real life who liked it yet. Read my above post and tell me how i'm wrong about everything though please. I'd love to be able to rewatch it and enjoy it tbh.

That's cool. Pretty much everyone here loves it. And I've went twice with a combined total of 12 people (only 3 of which who have seen every movie, the rest just come out for ones they want to see) and they all LOVED it. That's not counting the other 7 people I've texted about it who also LOVED it. It's literally the most unanimously loved movie of I've ever gone to among my friend group (or maybe top 2 with John Wick Chapter 2). 19>3

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 2

So, I read your little rant and came to one conclusion - you went into it with the intent that you were not going to like it. Pretty much every complaint you have is something that can be solved by simply paying attention instead of saying "I don't like it" while the movie was going on. The movie could have been shooting $20 bills at you for two hours, you'd complain that they weren't $100s. 

Let's go to the replay, shall we?

So much of it was forced and made no sense.

This is your first Marvel movie, I see. None of this was forced. In fact, it's been put into place over the last 10 years. No problem, no biggie.

Thanos shows up with no real motivation and beats Thor, Loki, and the hulk without showing us how.

But they tell us how. The opening dialogue in the movie is the distress call, going into how it's not a military vessel and it's nothing but civilians on board, so beating everyone is simply firing on the ship (which they show). After that, they literally show Thanos make very short work of the same Hulk you mention. (That was kind of the joke - Loki mentions "we have a Hulk" echoing the same words Tony Stark said to him in the first Avengers movie).

Then Loki just gives him the space stone after Heimdall uses his last effort to save mark ruffalos useless POS face instead of getting Loki and the stone out even though Heimdall knew.

Loki had a plan - a plan that failed, but Loki didn't know it would fail. He needed to give the Tesseract to Thanos to try to stab him in the neck and end it. Had Loki knew Thanos would see the dagger, I'm sure he'd try something else.

Then later, thanos' captains wreck strange, ironman, and Spidey because the producers apparently ran out of money for CG so the hulk couldn't show up.

Hulk not showing up is kind of a big plot point - and I think he referenced it a few times. This is Disney we're talking about, if THEY ran out of money, we're all in trouble as a country.

Then they are able to somehow beat knockoff Snoke even though he was clearly already shown to have strong enough force powers to stop himself getting sucked out of a ship, but they can't go home

Another plot point you completely missed. Or, you're being intentionally obtuse to. They all agreed that fighting Thanos away from Earth was the better idea.

We've seen how careless Tivan and his people are on Knowhere are with the events of Guardians of the Galaxy, so it isn't too much of a stretch to think a motivated Thanos would be able to get the stone with little resistance. I mean, Ronan got the Power Stone from there with little resistance as well. (You've SEEN Guardians of the Galaxy...right?)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 kinda goes over the Gamora/Nebula relationship. I'd suggest watching that movie, it's not as good as the first, but it's good...

Later, they defeat thanos but Chris Pratt hadn't got enough screen time yet so he screws up everything (and strange wasn't able to cut off Thanos' arm because his short distance portal powers we're on cooldown apparently) and thanks beats them all down

I think that was kind of the point - a moment where everyone says "Oh hell, Peter!" But, it's one of the 14,000,605 potential outcomes that Dr. Strange saw, and he chose to let it play out as so - because there's only one road to victory, and this WASN'T going to be it.

See? You had no intention on liking this movie if this is your take. That's fine, but own up to it at least. Being hipster ain't easy, son.

I'll cover the rest later, but your takes come off as either being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, or legitimately clueless.

• Like 6