***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

10 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

No he wasn't nerfed. Go back and watch it. Thanos had the powerstone. Hulk could not beat him no matter how strong he got.

He didn't even use the Power Stone. And he shouldn't have to. Thanos on his own can take down the Hulk. It's actually pretty consistent with what has been seen in the comics.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

He should have spared half the dwarves. 

But not if sparing half of them were a direct threat to restore balance to the Universe.     Remember what Thanos said to Stark:

Thanos:  You have my respect.  When I'm done, half of humanity will still exist.  I hope they remember you.

That implies very strongly that gaining Thanos' respect influenced his decision to spare half the population of Earth.   Thanos' priniciple is that he needs to wipe out half the Universe to restore balance - not that every population gets to survive.    More than likely, this happens a lot that Thanos goes the 50-50 route, but the line to Stark above clearly shows it's not a done deal each time.   Frankly, I loved that line, because it answered my Q on the Dwarves when I saw the move a 2nd time.   Great writing there, it covered that angle nicely IMO.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

But not if sparing half of them were a direct threat to restore balance to the Universe.     Remember what Thanos said to Stark:

Thanos:  You have my respect.  When I'm done, half of humanity will still exist.  I hope they remember you.

That implies very strongly that gaining Thanos' respect influenced his decision to spare half the population of Earth.   Thanos' priniciple is that he needs to wipe out half the Universe to restore balance - not that every population gets to survive.    More than likely, this happens a lot that Thanos goes the 50-50 route, but the line to Stark above clearly shows it's not a done deal each time.   Frankly, I loved that line, because it answered my Q on the Dwarves when I saw the move a 2nd time.   Great writing there, it covered that angle nicely IMO.

Yeah, I thought that the first time too. But I still think that he went the 50/50 route regardless of what he said to Stark. Could easily see it interpreted the other way though.

14 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

He didn't even use the Power Stone. And he shouldn't have to. Thanos on his own can take down the Hulk. It's actually pretty consistent with what has been seen in the comics.

Thanos let the Hulk beat on him. Even in the comics he had difficulty without the stone. That should not have happened. And what do you mean he didnt use it? He doesn't have too click his fingers to use it. The powerstone is a constant source of strength and unlimited energy for whoever is holding it. It's a passive source of power. Not one he has to tap into. 

7 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Yeah, I thought that the first time too. But I still think that he went the 50/50 route regardless of what he said to Stark. Could easily see it interpreted the other way though.

Yeah that’s the beauty of it - the writing left a clear explanation to explain the Dwarf choice.   It isn’t a lock but it opens up that avenue as very plausible.   But it doesn’t also get into such painstaking specifics for each line.  There is enough for the audience to connect the dots.   Not always at first glance but that’s the beauty of well written movies.   It only gets better the deeper you look at it.  

The approach of being explicit for every plot turn actually limits the scope of the story that can be told.   Giving enough to let the audience use their imagination to use plausible outcomes is brilliant writing.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Thanos let the Hulk beat on him. Even in the comics he had difficulty without the stone. That should not have happened. And what do you mean he didnt use it? He doesn't have too click his fingers to use it. The powerstone is a constant source of strength and unlimited energy for whoever is holding it. It's a passive source of power. Not one he has to tap into. 

The stone he is using glows every other time in the movie.  The Power Stone did not glow in his fight with the Hulk.  He simply beat him.  You just completely made up that rule because there has been no such establishment in the MCU.

Just because something happened in the comics one way doesn't mean it has to happen the same way in these movies.  You should know this by now.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

How on earth can Thanos decide civilization by civilization who stays and who goes? Surely it's "click" and half of all life regardless. Otherwise it would be incredibly time consuming.

49 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

In the film, Thanos clenches his fist and the stones glow when they are being utilized. Seems pretty clear to me that is in-narrative logic of the stones and how they work in this iteration.

Hulk got the drop on Thanos for a few seconds. Then Thanos simply overcame him. He's delivered similar beatdowns to him in other versions of meeting each other. Some take a little longer maybe. Bottom line is that Hulk is outclassed. Regular Hulk that is.

Edited by PapaShogun

6 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

How on earth can Thanos decide civilization by civilization who stays and who goes? Surely it's "click" and half of all life regardless. Otherwise it would be incredibly time consuming.

I don't know, to me that's kind of like trying to make scientific sense of a magical artifact. Thanos has the six stones, and can perform such a feat with his specific parameters in place. It's "magic".

9 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

We're talking about his decision to wipe out the Dwarves, which happened before, and how it could be justified to wipe out the Dwarves entirely save Etiri.

As for the Gauntlet & finger snap, Thanos could easily think "50/50 for everyone, but Earth/Kree, totally gone...or totally spared" - and boom, the Gauntlet would do it.  

EDIT:  Kinda of what @PapaShogun said too.

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As for the Gauntlet & finger snap, Thanos could easily think "50/50 for everyone, but Earth/Kree, totally gone...or totally spared" - and boom, the Gauntlet would do it. 

Plus, to add onto that, one aspect is time, so what looks like a finger snap wouldn't have to be that specifically for Thanos himself if they wanted to go that route.

• Like 3