***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

This movie was fun but it really bothered me. Thanos waking up and enjoying a nice view is soooo odd for me. He murdered trillions of people including his own daughter for that?

That ending was to confirm that he was sincere about everything was talking about. Tony had questioned him what happens next after he wipes out half of all life and it goes on to insinuate that he believes Thanos will just be a Mad God who will rule with an ironfist. Then Thanos tells him about peacefully ending it with having a peaceful existence afterwards. So not only does this show that Thanos was legit. It also shows he is not actually evil.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

That ending was to confirm that he was sincere about everything was talking about. Tony had questioned him what happens next after he wipes out half of all life and it goes on to insinuate that he believes Thanos will just be a Mad God who will rule with an ironfist. Then Thanos tells him about peacefully ending it with having a peaceful existence afterwards. So not only does this show that Thanos was legit. It also shows he is not actually evil.

Glad I only have to wait until next year to see it all tied together.

36 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

This movie was fun but it really bothered me. Thanos waking up and enjoying a nice view is soooo odd for me. He murdered trillions of people including his own daughter for that?

my favorite part of the movie

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm trying to remember the line you're talking about, but I can't remember it. Can you paraphrase it?

If i recall, she looked at the infinity gauntlet that was sitting in the vault and said "fake" or something like that?

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Its actually a panel directly from the comics I believe.

He doesnt see it as murdering anyone, he sees it as introducing balance, and saving/liberating/freeing the other half of the population to live a full life, and no one left has to starve or be oppressed. Thats what he talks about having done for those other planets.

40 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

If i recall, she looked at the infinity gauntlet that was sitting in the vault and said "fake" or something like that?

I believe its part of the film when she is talking about him paving over the lies of their past. 

35 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I see people saying this is the “Empire” of our generation. I didn’t watch SW when it first came out, but Vader didn’t win. Solo just got kryptonited. Not to go off topic but    don’t understand the reference.

ESB was probably the first mainstream  hero movie where the heroes got their butts whipped  as the ending.   It was so good on many other fronts too.   But the ending, for its time, was just unheard of.

ESB allowed mainstream hero movies to have an unhappy ending.   That shouldn’t be understated.  The trailblazer that paved the way.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I'm trying to remember the line you're talking about, but I can't remember it. Can you paraphrase it?

2 hours ago, SimsZilla said:

Correct.  Another example of the writers' devotion to maintaining a cohesive timeline and overall continuity (yes it's a retcon but so well done because it wasn't really noticeable then, just seemed like it was played for laughs - but now we get it).   They even have it as a right-handed gauntlet there, yet we know it's left-handed in Infinity Wars.   And remember - this is just to answer the Q's about the Ultron trailer - not any Q from Infinity Wars itself.  So not necessary to enjoy IW alone, but that clears up the Q's IW would have raised about the Ultron trailer's timeline.   The levels to which they plan this out is mind-blowing.  

Here you go...

Edited by Broncofan

Random thought - I think we're going to see the Soul Stone in Captain Marvel. The Skrull will use it in their war, and we'll see a ton of Kree get "dusted up" much like how we saw at the end of IW.

So, it would make sense that Fury would page her as people started to disappear in this fashion - Danvers has dealt with something like this before (albiet on a smaller scale) and would know how to reverse it. 

Just a theory.

Just now, texans_uk said:

I mean, he's a bit evil.

He's the personification (or, titanification?) of the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". 

His intentions are good, for all intents and purposes. His actions to achieve his intentions are horrible, however.

12 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

20 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I mean, he's a bit evil.

Evil?  Yes.  His acts certainly are as ET80 mentioned.   But he’s someone where we see his pain and anguish are real to him.   And his choices borne out of absolute conviction.   Yet with the recognition there is a terrible personal price to pay.  Evil and still sympathetic (at least partly sympathetic)?     Absolutely.  

Thanos just comes off as so layered and nuanced.  As opposed to the one-note shallow portrayals we often get in comic & action / SF movies even when given great source material TJ work with (Apocalypse anyone?  So disappointing).  It doesn’t make him the best Black Hat of all time (Ledger’s Joker going to be hard to beat) nor even in the MCU (Loki although he got multiple movies to develop & Killmonger get my call).  But he certainly belongs in that tier of all time Black Hat greats.  

Edited by Broncofan

Infinity War comic potential too much spoiler

Do people thing that they'll go with a similar "fix" to the universe like they did in the comics? For those who haven't read the comic arc, they get the gauntlet off of him/he takes it off, that part of reading it is fuzzy in my brain right now, but then  Nebula gets it. She's the tortured daughter of Thanos still, and hating her father so much, she undoes what he has done. It feels like it would make sense in terms of the films with Nebula finally caring about Gamora and Thanos killing Gamora, plus Thanos torturing Nebula for the information on the soul stone that Gamora is traded for.

6 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Infinity War comic potential too much spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Do people thing that they'll go with a similar "fix" to the universe like they did in the comics? For those who haven't read the comic arc, they get the gauntlet off of him/he takes it off, that part of reading it is fuzzy in my brain right now, but then  Nebula gets it. She's the tortured daughter of Thanos still, and hating her father so much, she undoes what he has done. It feels like it would make sense in terms of the films with Nebula finally caring about Gamora and Thanos killing Gamora, plus Thanos torturing Nebula for the information on the soul stone that Gamora is traded for.

If there's one thing I'm willing to put serious money on - we won't see the Comic book method used, or at least, not that one.  Infinity Wars shows that the writers are willing to take key principles from the comics (Thanos' belief system that he has to wipe out half the universe, his iconic finger snap) - but won't follow the comics in how this gets done.  It even differs with key elements as motivation, and I'd say for the better (a true belief that he has to wipe out half the universe so the rest can live without suffering is far more nuanced and complex than an infatuation with Death).   Otherwise, following the comic canon as to how the Avengers take back the stones would make the movie far too predictable.  

Infinity Wars caught everyone off-guard with the choices made for heroes to be faded.    The cast keeps mentioning that A4 is even better writing-wise.  Which is mind-blowing, it still doesn't compute - but that tells me it has to be original in its mechanics to get that kind of praise.     If they just stuck to the comic's method, I'd be really disappointed.  I came in with expectations of A3 possibly being too bloated, or too conventional - man, was I was wrong.  If they were this good for the setup piece, and this different - it allows them to go into similarly different directions for A4.

Edited by Broncofan