***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Figured it would take away from the Captain Marvel spotlight. 

To be fair, I think it's more about Warlock being a worthy Black Hat for GOTG3.   Keep in mind that we've had Black Hats turn allies in GOTG-verse, so this makes total sense.   He's certainly a worthy adversary.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, I think it's more about Warlock being a worthy Black Hat for GOTG3.   Keep in mind that we've had Black Hats turn allies in GOTG-verse, so this makes total sense.   He's certainly a worthy adversary.

Yea but they cant have 2 brand new superheroes showing up in the same movie with everything else going on they just wouldnt have time to do it. I figured they would have to do something with Captain Marvel in Antman 2 to give her some introduction so people have something to go on in A4. 

I am wondering how they are going to do this with introducing a brand new character who doesn't already have a massive fan base at the very end of the biggest series. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea but they cant have 2 brand new superheroes showing up in the same movie with everything else going on they just wouldnt have time to do it. I figured they would have to do something with Captain Marvel in Antman 2 to give her some introduction so people have something to go on in A4. 

I am wondering how they are going to do this with introducing a brand new character who doesn't already have a massive fan base at the very end of the biggest series. 

You do realize Captain Marvel is coming out in March 2019, 2 months before A4?   Classic BP setup coming.

To be clear, I think Warlock is going to be a Black Hat to begin with, vs. the GOTG in #3.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Captain Marvel has her own movie before A4 soooooo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

So you are contending the Strange saw a road being built and didn’t know where it was going?

I will have to rewatch Infinity Wars again, so someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure Strange said something along the lines of him seeing 14 million futures and only one that they “win”.

If he says that, then your above theory about what Strange did on Titan would be flawed. The reason being because if time exists like a highway/road/map (same difference I suppose) then if we plot 14 million different courses to a destination  and only one of them allows us to make it to our destination without having to stop for gas (just stating a random goal- like defeating Thanos) they are all potential “futures”.

However a possibility equally has potential, only we don’t have any clue where the road will go. It is not built. Based off of the PAST our buddy might say something he’s heard, but no one really knows. Also this route is currently not accessible, as it is being built. IF we had the time to wait, we could wait to see where it goes, but future is a highway/route that doesn’t allow us to stop and do that... in this metaphor.

" Dr. Strange: I went forward in time, to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming conflict. "

I realize he says alternate futures, but he also cites possible futures, which is no different than what the Ancient One did.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

You still never answered the question. If you want to ignore EVERYTHING about Marvel. How could watching time be made possible WITHOUT the time stone? Given the limitations of what a Sorcerer is provided to be in the MCU via Doctor Strange?

edit: not that I dislike these limitations, it gives some science behind what magic is and I think that’s an AWESOME concept.

First, it's not that I WANT to ignore the general comics, it's that they aren't part of the canon material for MCU.

I don't recall, and would have to rewatch Dr. Strange to be sure, but I do not think we were given all that much information about seeing time aside from what we see shown in the movie. We do not know the limitations of what CAN'T be done.

Edited by skywlker32
  • Like 1

OK, this is getting into historic territory - IW is likely to make 50M in China - before the movie even's aired. 

http://collider.com/infinity-war-china-box-office-records/

The all-time record is 400M in China, and Age of Ultron made 240M.  I think we're going to see a new record in China, which means a huge bump to IW's already impressive 2-week box-office take of 1.2M as of May 8.

Really, I think until Deadpool airs next week, we're going to see the juggernaut continue.  $2B seems like a lock at this stage, given the durability through 2 weeks we've seen (a sure sign the movie's universally being well-received, and not just a figment of the critics imagination like TLJ, or a scifi-fan-only's dream come true).

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I agree. That a “future” and a “possibility” SHOULD BE one and the same. However, what we see is that The Ancient One defines them as two different concepts.

So to use a metaphor. Reading the future must be similar to being on a highway. If you are driving on a high way and you’re using your navigation system. You could literally move your navigation ahead to see where that route is to take you. THIS IS FUTURE. It’s a defined route that the course could take, if you allow it. You could always adjust your route to avoid that road, but you must still drive towards your destination.

However quite equally if one is on the highway and you see a mass of construction taking place for two new high way additions. Your friend in the backseat says, “governments supposed to be adding another two lanes to reduce traffic her during rush hour”. You ask, what’s the other one? And he says “not sure, probably just stealing our tax money”. THIS IS POSSIBILITY. It’s is an undefined course, we can not see these routes and where they ultimately end because they are not yet finished... and we have to continue driving. We will always be left wondering what could be.

So while we would like to think of “future” and “possibility” as two equal ethereal concepts. They do not have to be. Especially when it is established that they are two different concepts all together by narrative. NOW a narrative COULD have them be as one and the same, but like I said, it’s all about what rules you establish.

But they’re not narratively established as wholly separate concepts, that’s the point. She says she has prevented horrible futures. If futures are immutable, they cannot be prevented. And, that possibility you propose is only nebulous now, at this moment, which the ability to observe through time makes irrelevant. This is what Strange does, adjusts his perspective in time so that the possibility is more defined. There is nothing in the MCU that prevents this. He uses the time stone to determine the outcome of events in 14M iterations. Those outcomes are all possible ergo, they are possibilities. By learning how they each transpire, he can influence which comes to fruition. If TAO could see Strange’s possibilities beyond her death, Strange can see possibilities beyond his.

A “future” might (maybe) the word they give to a more certain possibility. But a more certain possibility does not mean a definite one. All squares are rectangles and all that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think we're getting a bit pedantic about a movie magical gem that was spawned in the beginning of the universe that can control time itself.

That’s kind of been my underlying point this whole time...

I mean, we’re going to just shrug off the ridiculousness that is how nanotech works but a wizard using a time spell to look at the future is where we draw the line? Sure, whatever.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:44 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Damn.  Those spoilers seem pretty intense.  Feige has gone on record saying that anyone who dies in this one will NOT be coming back to life, so that's gonna be pretty sad to watch those. 

Well technically they didn't die. They are in the soul stone.

4 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That's what I'm thinking as well.

I think that it's definitely the end of Loki (at least this incarnation). I know Feige says that they won't be bringing them back, but eventually you could have a different Loki.

Agreed I think Loki is dead for real. However, everyone else, including Gamora I think will come back. Considering Gamora was the sacrifice of the soul stone, she might be trapped inside as well.