***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

5 hours ago, jjab360 said:

Disagree, I don't want everything spelled out for me. Show, don't tell.

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Edit: I'm agreeing with the person I quoted.  I don't know if if that was obvious or not, so I clarified

Wait, how is what I’m saying any less show than tell?  How are you guys seeing this as anything other than ONLY tell? Strange literally TELLS us the odds are 14,000,605/1, and all we are shown are his time-seizures (that we’ve never seen before by the way) and he TELLS us what he was doing we don’t see any of that, and then he TELLS us this is the only way.

we aren’t shown a single thing about this yet. And that is the Lazy part  I’m agreeing that Tell over Show is the worst sin, and they are doing it right now. Sure they can correct it later in A4, but that opens another can of worms about split films.

im saying if they expanded upon the conversation, it leaves some ambiguity of what will happen. Once he says there is only 1 outcome, we now know to never question Strange again,  he has turned deus ex. So when he turns over the Time Stone, there is no part of you thinking “is he wrong?” You just trust him implicitly because we have been told he knows the path. But if he says;

• there are a few outcomes to stop Thanos
  • There is only one scenario that we all (or most) make it
  • continues to stubbornly proclaim he is only doing what is best to protect the Time Stone 
  • wont tell anyone what the steps of the “one” path to save everyone
  • continues to reluctantly let bad/dumb things happen (flawed plan/Quill punches/Stark dagger)

Then he suddenly relinquished the Time Stone? That is how you SHOW. Because only then you realize this is the best path and Strange knows it. And it still may not be the one to save everyone, but is their best chance to defeat Thanos

again we agree, show don’t tell is what we need, but we weren’t shown anything at this point. We were just told that Strange knows

Edited by StLunatic88

30 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wait, how is what I’m saying any less show than tell?  How are you guys seeing this as anything other than ONLY tell? Strange literally TELLS us the odds are 14,000,605/1, and all we are shown are his time-seizures (that we’ve never seen before by the way) and he TELLS us what he was doing we don’t see any of that, and then he TELLS us this is the only way.

we aren’t shown a single thing about this yet. And that is the Lazy part  I’m agreeing that Tell over Show is the worst sin, and they are doing it right now. Sure they can correct it later in A4, but that opens another can of worms about split films.

im saying if they expanded upon the conversation, it leaves some ambiguity of what will happen. Once he says there is only 1 outcome, we now know to never question Strange again,  he has turned deus ex. So when he turns over the Time Stone, there is no part of you thinking “is he wrong?” You just trust him implicitly because we have been told he knows the path. But if he says;

• there are a few outcomes to stop Thanos
  • There is only one scenario that we all (or most) make it
  • continues to stubbornly proclaim he is only doing what is best to protect the Time Stone 
  • wont tell anyone what the steps of the “one” path to save everyone
  • continues to reluctantly let bad/dumb things happen (flawed plan/Quill punches/Stark dagger)

Then he suddenly relinquished the Time Stone? That is how you SHOW. Because only then you realize this is the best path and Strange knows it. And it still may not be the one to save everyone, but is their best chance to defeat Thanos

again we agree, show don’t tell is what we need, but we weren’t shown anything at this point. We were just told that Strange knows

Huh? You're overthinking it man. There's really no way to Monday morning QB the direction they chose to go here until we know how part 2 turns out.

That's what I mean by show, don't tell. Show me in part 2 if this really was all part of Dr. Strange's plan, similar to a heist film like Ocean's 11. Don't tell me now and ruin the drama at the end (which admittedly get less dramatic once you realize what's happening).

Edited by jjab360

7 minutes ago, jjab360 said:

Huh? You're overthinking it man. There's really no way to Monday morning QB the direction they chose to go here until we know how part 2 turns out.

Like I said, that opens up a whole different issue about 2parters. And you’re basically telling me to just shut up and watch. If I can’t have a gripe with part of a movie, then what the Hel are we all doing here? 

10 minutes ago, jjab360 said:

That's what I mean by show, don't tell. Show me in part 2 if this really was all part of Dr. Strange's plan, similar to a heist film like Ocean's 11. Don't tell me now and ruin the drama at the end (which admittedly get less dramatic once you realize what's happening).

I’m not asking for more information or explanation. In fact I am asking for the exact opposite, more ambiguity. 

The way they have set it up is Strange already knows how to get to the ONLY desired outcome. And he already knows how to make this happen. So we have already been told it works out. (Sure deep down we all knew that, but the best films hide and disguise that for as long as possible) this time they let that cat out of the bag far too early. As soon as we hear the 1/14,000,605 line, we know that we are headed down that “1” path  and his ‘only way’ And ‘ end game comments’ just confirm that  

so if there were varying degrees of the desired outcome, we would have the suspense of seeing which path Strange has set us on? Is it the best one? Is it the one we want? Since they have made Strange so OP (the time loop was cute but it really was a cop out in his solo film) you have to make the human side of him the place for failure. Do we trust him to make the right choices for us? And when he doesn’t how does he correct it?

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Like I said, that opens up a whole different issue about 2parters. And you’re basically telling me to just shut up and watch. If I can’t have a gripe with part of a movie, then what the Hel are we all doing here? 

I’m not asking for more information or explanation. In fact I am asking for the exact opposite, more ambiguity. 

The way they have set it up is Strange already knows how to get to the ONLY desired outcome. And he already knows how to make this happen. So we have already been told it works out. (Sure deep down we all knew that, but the best films hide and disguise that for as long as possible) this time they let that cat out of the bag far too early. As soon as we hear the 1/14,000,605 line, we know that we are headed down that “1” path  and his ‘only way’ And ‘ end game comments’ just confirm that  

so if there were varying degrees of the desired outcome, we would have the suspense of seeing which path Strange has set us on? Is it the best one? Is it the one we want? Since they have made Strange so OP (the time loop was cute but it really was a cop out in his solo film) you have to make the human side of him the place for failure. Do we trust him to make the right choices for us? And when he doesn’t how does he correct it?

The thing is that you're making a ton of assumptions, hence the we'll probably have to wait for part 2. Everyone assumes this is part of Strange's plan, but what if that's a red herring? What if by the only way, he literally meant the only way to save Stark who he somehow believes is the only one who can stop Thanos? Also, how does he know that this timeline achieves the desired outcome if he disentegrated at the end of the film? As far as I know, the time stone doesn't give him the omnipotent power to see the future but to live it and then rewind. He wouldn't be able to see the ultimate future and rewind if he lost the time stone and then disintegrated, no?

The only reason you don't find the way they handled it as ambiguous enough is because you're jumping to conclusions, hence the we'll have to wait until part 2. It's not "shut up and watch", theoretically there are plenty of complaints you could make about the first act independent of whatever happens in the second act.

Not gonna lie Bucky calling out to cap and then disappearing almost made me cry.... Then Peter pleading to Tony that he didn't want to die finished the job.

Even knowing it's a marvel movie and most of those characters will definitely be back it was still a very powerful scene, extremely well done.

The death of Gamora earlier in the movie brought me pretty close as well.

• Like 2

I understand the reasoning behind the OG avengers staying alive, however why wasn’t RR taken? He must go on some sort of trip with Nebula next film. I know people keep saying it was random but the writers obviously have reasons for why certain characters didn’t ash away

3 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I understand the reasoning behind the OG avengers staying alive, however why wasn’t RR taken? He must go on some sort of trip with Nebula next film. I know people keep saying it was random but the writers obviously have reasons for why certain characters didn’t ash away

Marvel writers love to twist the knife - Rocket having to relive losing Groot was another killer moment.    And yes they’ve probably got something planned.   Movies like this if they are well done, there’s payoff for every character decision.   I have faith that will apply here too. 

I will be seeing it again tomorrow.   Can’t wait.   

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Not gonna lie Bucky calling out to cap and then disappearing almost made me cry.... Then Peter pleading to Tony that he didn't want to die finished the job.

Even knowing it's a marvel movie and most of those characters will definitely be back it was still a very powerful scene, extremely well done.

The death of Gamora earlier in the movie brought me pretty close as well.

Spiderman got me

5 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

He’s going to be important in the next one. Everyone who lived will play an important role.

I have to say as much as this film annoyed me. Thanos is probably my favourite bad guy since Heath Ledger's joker.

It sounds bizarre but he isn't just a ruthless murderer, he is delusional in his task of balance, but he didn't kill Quill, Dr Strange, Ironman, Hulk, Thor or countless others when he could have. His emotion regarding Gamora was something I really didn't expect either. His character has wayyyyyyyyy more depth than 99% of bad guys.

• Like 2

I saw an early screening of Infinity War on Thursday. Holy shyt, I haven't been this blown away by a CBM since The Dark Knight. It was truly mind-blowing in every facet. Every MCU character gets their time to shine here, and for once, I actually got the feeling of "nobody's safe" and was anxious to see which heroes would make it out alive all throughout the movie. And the action scenes, holy shyt once again, you can tell they saved their best for last with this movie, every action scene, every story arch from top to bottom is drawn out to perfection here. They've been building up to this movie from the very beginning, and the payoff is f'ing huge.

And yet, as amazing as this film turned out to be (as a surprise to absolutely no one), I'm still left with my jaw hanging on the floor knowing the best is yet to come. I'm anxious to see how the next movie will play out.

Speaking of the next movie, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (or down) or anything, but the Russos did Tweet this GIF when talking about Avengers 4, is that...

avengers4crop.jpg

Kang? :o Could Marvel have sought a deal with Fox prior to the Disney buyout? Maybe they're saving Thanos' inevitable comeuppance for the third GotG film when they inevitably get revived somehow (time travel would be my guess) and Kang manipulated Thanos in the background or something, who knows? 

Whatever the case may be, I just find it kinda strange that the Russos would Tweet this GIF when teasing Avengers 4, because there's no way that purple glove teases anything but Kang. Name one other hero/villain with a purple love, well, besides Magneto, who they can't use... yet. 

Edited by KManX89