***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As for the Gauntlet & finger snap, Thanos could easily think "50/50 for everyone, but Earth/Kree, totally gone...or totally spared" - and boom, the Gauntlet would do it.  

Over/under a million other civilisations?

26 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Over/under a million other civilisations?

The total # is irrelevant - the civilizations that matter to Thanos to treat differently are the ones he has a special attachment to....and those he considers threats.   THAT's all he has to change the formula for.     You're suggesting he has to treat every one individually - he just has to think of what civilizations he saves/destroys completely.   THAT is a much smaller #.    

He just has to think "man, I want to wipe out these 5 to make this work, they are a threat, and I kinda like these 5".  Or 10.  Whatever.  But that # is finite.  And as  pointed out by @PapaShogun, with the Time stone, it's not like it all has to happen in a snap of the finger.     And in the case of the Dwarves, remember, that decision was way before he had the finger-snap moment.

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

The stone he is using glows every other time in the movie.  The Power Stone did not glow in his fight with the Hulk.  He simply beat him.  You just completely made up that rule because there has been no such establishment in the MCU.

Just because something happened in the comics one way doesn't mean it has to happen the same way in these movies.  You should know this by now.

Lol I made it up but somehow it also occured in the comics. MMMkay.

And Ronan was able to take a point blank blast from Rocket's Hadren Enforcer or w/e without any damage what so ever. He was also rammed with the Guardians ship and walked away unscathed. There was a very noticable difference in his power before acquiring the stone and after putting it into his rod. And he didn't activate it, it wasn't glowing. Both times he was shot and rammed into he was taken completely by surprise. Both times, nothing happened. Ronan was strong, but he was not that strong. Even Thanos literally had a shipped dropped on him and nothing happened to him whatsoever.

Go back and watch Guardians of the Galaxy and tell me it does not grant passive superhuman strength and endurance. That's not making things up. That actually happened. Oh and in case you need another example you forgot that Dark Elf dude was a total b!tch the first half of the movie in Thor 2 until he got the Aether then he went toe to toe with Thor without any problems. Or how about Loki, the only two times he was able to go stand against Thor was when he was wielding Odins staff, and when he had the Sceptre. No other times was he even remotely a challange and relied on trickery to get the better of him. The Infinity Stones grant significant power to each person who hold them. They don't need people snapping their fingers, clinching their fist, clicking their heels twice. It's all passive.

Oh and BTW, as far as happening only one way in the comics. As far as I know that's been the constant with the Power Gem in any persons hand it's been in is granting unlimited strength, stamina, etc. So it wasn't just one way. It's basically the official way for anyone holding.

But if it makes you feel any better. The directors did say that Thanos at full strength without the Gauntlet is stronger then the current Hulk. So in a way you're right. But mostly as I just proved. You are very very wrong. With multiple examples shown that it requires no trick to tap into a stones power. It just flows through the person. Which is why it is almost always lethal to them. Such as making them explode, tearing them apart, eating them out like cancer. The effects are passive.

Edited by Calvert28

Thought the movie was solid, above average. 7.8/10. Great action. CGI was good. There were moments of truly compelling acting. Moments where the acting was flawed. Funny scenes were well paced into the movie and felt genuine. 

Thar said, the plot felt rushed. There was a lack of character development to truly SHOW Thanos’ motivations. We were TOLD that his planet was destroyed because of a lack of balance. We never are shown it. Thus he has a POV, but it’s not relateable. We are not given any motivations for the Black Order, they are just evil avatars that could quite easily be any evil baddie from any other marvel movie (or heck take away the makeup and CGI and they are James Bond henchman).

Thanos is heartless, but he really isn’t, because we are told he can only obtain the soul stone by sacrificing someone he loves. And he sacrifices Gamora. Proof that he has the capacity to love, I guess (not actually showing him sacrifice for her, like true character development of love might display).

All in all, I would rank Thanos behind both Killmonger and Loki as villains as they are much more complex. Loki is essentially Vegeta to Thanos’ Frieza in my estimation. In the grand scheme of things, as they currently stand, I would place this rendition of Thanos and his development on the all time movie villain list at:

1. TDK Joker

2. TDKR Bane

3a. Black Panthers Killmonger

3b. Magneto

5. Loki

6. Thanos

7. Homecoming’s Vulture

53 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

And Ronan was able to take a point blank blast from Rocket's Hadren Enforcer or w/e without any damage what so ever. He was also rammed with the Guardians ship and walked away unscathed. There was a very noticable difference in his power before acquiring the stone and after putting it into his rod. And he didn't activate it, it wasn't glowing. Both times he was shot and rammed into he was taken completely by surprise. Both times, nothing happened. Ronan was strong, but he was not that strong. Even Thanos literally had a shipped dropped on him and nothing happened to him whatsoever.

Go back and watch Guardians of the Galaxy and tell me it does not grant passive superhuman strength and endurance. That's not making things up. That actually happened. Oh and in case you need another example you forgot that Dark Elf dude was a total b!tch the first half of the movie in Thor 2 until he got the Aether then he went toe to toe with Thor without any problems. Or how about Loki, the only two times he was able to go stand against Thor was when he was wielding Odins staff, and when he had the Sceptre. No other times was he even remotely a challange and relied on trickery to get the better of him. The Infinity Stones grant significant power to each person who hold them. They don't need people snapping their fingers, clinching their fist, clicking their heels twice. It's all passive.

Oh and BTW, as far as happening only one way in the comics. As far as I know that's been the constant with the Power Gem in any persons hand it's been in is granting unlimited strength, stamina, etc. So it wasn't just one way. It's basically the official way for anyone holding.

But if it makes you feel any better. The directors did say that Thanos at full strength without the Gauntlet is stronger then the current Hulk. So in a way you're right. But mostly as I just proved. You are very very wrong. With multiple examples shown that it requires no trick to tap into a stones power. It just flows through the person. Which is why it is almost always lethal to them. Such as making them explode, tearing them apart, eating them out like cancer. The effects are passive.

In this latest film directed by the Russo brothers though, it is established that when Thanos using the Gauntlet, he has to clench his fist for the stones to usually be utilized. There are two instances when the Avengers and Guardians on Titan target his fist trying make sure it can't close. When Strange uses the Cloak of Levitation, and when Iron Man puts a clamp in his palm.

I can understand someone citing inconsistencies between films when the stones were occupied by others, but at the same time I can also see someone having their head canon tell them that those other people didn't have a gauntlet designed to utilize the stones in a specific way.

39 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Thought the movie was solid, above average. 7.8/10. Great action. CGI was good. There were moments of truly compelling acting. Moments where the acting was flawed. Funny scenes were well paced into the movie and felt genuine. 

Thar said, the plot felt rushed. There was a lack of character development to truly SHOW Thanos’ motivations. We were TOLD that his planet was destroyed because of a lack of balance. We never are shown it. Thus he has a POV, but it’s not relateable. We are not given any motivations for the Black Order, they are just evil avatars that could quite easily be any evil baddie from any other marvel movie (or heck take away the makeup and CGI and they are James Bond henchman).

Thanos is heartless, but he really isn’t, because we are told he can only obtain the soul stone by sacrificing someone he loves. And he sacrifices Gamora. Proof that he has the capacity to love, I guess (not actually showing him sacrifice for her, like true character development of love might display).

All in all, I would rank Thanos behind both Killmonger and Loki as villains as they are much more complex. Loki is essentially Vegeta to Thanos’ Frieza in my estimation. In the grand scheme of things, as they currently stand, I would place this rendition of Thanos and his development on the all time movie villain list at:

1. TDK Joker

2. TDKR Bane

3a. Black Panthers Killmonger

3b. Magneto

5. Loki

6. Thanos

7. Homecoming’s Vulture

We are shown what happened to Titan. Before and after. It's a wasteland now. What Thanos predicted came to pass.

As for the Black Order, they were never meant to be developed in these films. They're subservient muscle for Thanos. That's their role, and I think that's all we need to know. I'd rather use the limited screen time for what we got.

Edited by PapaShogun

59 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

The comics and the movies are 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEDIUMS TELLING 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORIES.  Just because it happened in the comics doesn't mean it's the same rules in the movies.

The stone was lit up the whole time Ronan had it, showing that he was accessing its powers the whole time.

Again, those characters were actively using the gems when they were fighting in those movies.  I don't know what Odin's staff has to do with this since it's not an Infinity Stone, so good point?

I don't care what happened in the comics when it comes to the movies.  In the comics Thanos was impressing Mistress Death, but not in the movies.  These points you keep bringing up are absolutely irrelevant.

So I'm wrong because you made up rules even though the directors of the movies agree with me.  Got it.  Enough of talking to you now; I'll let someone else chat it up with a donkey.

16 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

In this latest film directed by the Russo brothers though, it is established that when Thanos using the Gauntlet, he has to clench his fist for the stones to usually be utilized. There are two instances when the Avengers and Guardians on Titan target his fist trying make sure it can't close. When Strange uses the Cloak of Levitation, and when Iron Man puts a clamp in his palm.

I can understand someone citing inconsistencies between films when the stones were occupied by others, but at the same time I can also see someone having their head canon tell them that those other people didn't have a gauntlet designed to utilize the stones in a specific way.

Actually they were all very well done in displaying the power granted to even superhumans when they were in the possession of the stones. H/e lets not pretend that closing the fist was like flipping a lightswitch. Everytime he gained a new stone and placed it in the gauntlet you could see it having an effect on Thanos. In fact they display that very clearly. It's not all within the gauntlet. There are effects to gaining each new stone. Watch the movie again most especially towards the end when he gains the time then most especially the mind stone. It shows a tremendous effect on him.

38 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The comics and the movies are 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEDIUMS TELLING 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORIES.  Just because it happened in the comics doesn't mean it's the same rules in the movies.

And yet I just proved you wrong with the movies.

The stone was lit up the whole time Ronan had it, showing that he was accessing its powers the whole time.

Jesus Christ dude you with the glowing argument. The stone was the way throughout the entire movie. Hell when it came out of the ball when the collector opened it. It was glowing, no one using it or tapping into it's power.

Again, those characters were actively using the gems when they were fighting in those movies.  I don't know what Odin's staff has to do with this since it's not an Infinity Stone, so good point?

Yes the stones were active when they were in contact with those people. But again did Ronan have to clap his hands to make it work? Did the Dark Elf snap his fingers? Did Loki have to use a magic phrase to unlock it's powers? Pretty sure no. Go take a look again when Thanos gets the mind stone and places it in the gauntlet. Notice the change. If the tool only works when he closes the fist. Then that should not have happened.

I don't care what happened in the comics when it comes to the movies.  In the comics Thanos was impressing Mistress Death, but not in the movies.  These points you keep bringing up are absolutely irrelevant.

Where do you think this story gets its info from? It takes liberties sure. But it's still by and large the same story.

So I'm wrong because you made up rules even though the directors of the movies agree with me.  Got it.  Enough of talking to you now; I'll let someone else chat it up with a donkey.

Directors agree with you? Your argument is that the only way Thanos has access to these powers is when he closes his fist and thus otherwise totally separated from the Gauntlet's Powers with no lingering or passive effects which is ridiculous. If that were true. Then Stormbreaker would have most certainly one shot him even if he didn't hit him in the head.  Which is why it was talked about for most of the movie as basically being a God Killer.

Edited by Calvert28

48 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Actually they were all very well done in displaying the power granted to even superhumans when they were in the possession of the stones. H/e lets not pretend that closing the fist was like flipping a lightswitch. Everytime he gained a new stone and placed it in the gauntlet you could see it having an effect on Thanos. In fact they display that very clearly. It's not all within the gauntlet. There are effects to gaining each new stone. Watch the movie again most especially towards the end when he gains the time then most especially the mind stone. It shows a tremendous effect on him.

I've seen the movie twice. I mean, I saw him basically get a drug high when he acquired a couple more of the stones, but I didn't take that as him utilizing the stones' abilities. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

We are shown what happened to Titan. Before and after. It's a wasteland now. What Thanos predicted came to pass.

As for the Black Order, they were never meant to be developed in these films. They're subservient muscle for Thanos. That's their role, and I think that's all we need to know. I'd rather use the limited screen time for what we got.

Yes. It’s a wasteland. But we don’t know WHAT happened. It’s akin to in Superman’s origin story, we can all quite clearly SEE Krypton as it sees its final day in the sun (figure of speech). That makes the pain of Clark Kent being this orphaned child more relateable.

With Thanos we are TOLD of the destruction and simply see the aftermath. A good story would show us how it all came to pass. Thanos says he predicted the outcome and didn’t do enough and it led to ruin, HOW? What exactly led to Titan’s destruction? Are we to simply take Thanos’ words as gospel? For all we know he has a warped understanding of what happened. This is why in the medium of cinema SHOWING is most important. We trust what we see. We relate with what we trust.

When reading a novel from a third person narrator, we can be told some things and that’s fine. Because we understand that the narrator is omniscient. If a movie has a narrator we can be told. But we had neither of these. Thus the Thanos backstory was lazy storytelling. It was rushed. We can relate with Gamora’s plight, to SEE her home planet ravaged, but Thanos? Not really. His most relateable moment was giving the dagger (or would that be called a double side knife?) to child Gamora. Beyond that, he’s 10 minutes of  removed character development away from being just a powerful evil avatar IMO.

Like I said, it’s not a bad movie. I don’t want it to seem like that’s what I’m saying. But Divergent also isn’t a bad book, but in comparison to something like A Wizard of Earthsea or LOTR, the story is lacking and the characters much less compelling. Same here with Infinity Wars IMO.??‍♀️

The original Avengers was a much better tale with characters, villains and heroes alike, that were much more fleshed out.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yes. It’s a wasteland. But we don’t know WHAT happened. It’s akin to in Superman’s origin story, we can all quite clearly SEE Krypton as it sees its final day in the sun (figure of speech). That makes the pain of Clark Kent being this orphaned child more relateable.

With Thanos we are TOLD of the destruction and simply see the aftermath. A good story would show us how it all came to pass. Thanos says he predicted the outcome and didn’t do enough and it led to ruin, HOW? What exactly led to Titan’s destruction? Are we to simply take Thanos’ words as gospel? For all we know he has a warped understanding of what happened. This is why in the medium of cinema SHOWING is most important. We trust what we see. We relate with what we trust.

When reading a novel from a third person narrator, we can be told some things and that’s fine. Because we understand that the narrator is omniscient. If a movie has a narrator we can be told. But we had neither of these. Thus the Thanos backstory was lazy storytelling. It was rushed. We can relate with Gamora’s plight, to SEE her home planet ravaged, but Thanos? Not really. His most relateable moment was giving the dagger (or would that be called a double side knife?) to child Gamora. Beyond that, he’s 10 minutes of  removed character development away from being just a powerful evil avatar IMO.

Like I said, it’s not a bad movie. I don’t want it to seem like that’s what I’m saying. But Divergent also isn’t a bad book, but in comparison to something like A Wizard of Earthsea or LOTR, the story is lacking and the characters much less compelling. Same here with Infinity Wars IMO.??‍♀️

The original Avengers was a much better tale with characters, villains and heroes alike, that were much more fleshed out.

I think Thanos got his point across when he was talking about his philosophy to Gamora and Dr. Strange. He described his planet Titan and how there were too many mouths to feed to go along with too few resources. His ideas for genocide were rejected by the larger majority of society. This caused his species to die out as a result. The story of Infinity War isn't about how Titan fell. The bigger picture if of how Thanos believes the universe needs cleansing is. 

Kind of like how in the Matrix I didn't need to see how humanity was wiped out due to their own creations. That movie wasn't about that story. It just helped set the framework for what the real story was. 

I heard a lot of stuff was taken out of the film and left on the cutting room floor. Probably due to time constraints, not vital to the story being told, or it just messed with the pacing. Maybe footage of the fallout on Titans was something that was cut, but I'd be surprised. It all worked for me.

Edited by PapaShogun