3rd Ever Mock Draft

J-ALL-DAY

1st round, #9 overall - Harold Landry DE Boston College

Yes, the fourth consecutive year we go DL, but he's much different than the prior three we have drafted. i've probably been his biggest fan on this forum but I just believe he's on another level compared to the rest of the pass rushers in this draft. The ankle injury bothered him in 2017, but his 2016 film is damn good. I'd be fine going with other options at this pick, but edge rusher is our biggest need. If this team is going to be a playoff team, then the pass rush better improve from the prior season and Landry will certainly help in that area. 

2nd round, #59 overall- Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota State

Oliver is a favorite of mine in this draft but just don't think he falls this deep so I chose to go with another draft crush of mine. I think he's going to be an absolute mismatch nightmare and think upgrading the TE unit may be a bigger need than improving the WRs. Garoppolo loves his TEs and we will have two good ones that will be able to stretch the defenses. Goedert will also go a long way in helping our RZ woes that seemed to improve in Garoppolo's last few starts. Goedert may be a guy we will need to trade up for, but if he's available he should be the pick. 

3rd round, #70 overall- Jamarco Jones OT Ohio State

Time to think about the eventual replacement of Staley and/or Brown. Personally, I think Brown will get a long term deal signed before the start of the season or we retain him after the season. Sure there are some questions, but the strength of this team will be the pass game and he's as good as it gets in pass protection. Anyways, Staley is no spring chicken and even though he played great last season, he can't be relied on to play more than a few more seasons. Jones was impressive this past season and should only get better. May not be ready in year one but he won't to be with Staley/Brown holding it down. Brown/Jones could be our future bookends for years to come.

3rd round, #74 overall - Parry Nickerson CB Tulane

I would have loved to go CB earlier in the draft but there are so many good ones in this draft and we get a quality one with this pick. Nickerson could play both man/zone, press/off coverage and does everything well. Sure he has a slight frame but that wasn't a problem for Witherspoon who had similar question marks. I love how Nickerson never panics when the ball is in the air and is a damn good playmaker. Will play some when we go in dime coverage and steps in if Witherspoon/Sherman suffer an injury. 

4th round, #128 overall - Skai Moore LB South Carolina

Some may think this is a round too early, but I don't. He's the new age off ball LB that could cover with the best of them. He's not going to the MIKE, but that's okay since we have Foster. But Smith will be gone after this season in all likelihood and who knows how he comes back from his injury. Granted, it wasn't a knee injury or anything, but you never know. And Moore may just flat out beat him out for the starting gig. Foster/Moore will be one hell of a duo, especially in coverage.

5th round, #143 overall - Hercules Mata'afa DE/DT Washington St

Kind of a luxury pick, but this guy is too good to pass up at this point. He is the classic tweener but has a lot of Solomon Thomas in him. There is question how well he could play the edge, and essentially that is the biggest reason he drops so far. I don't see Armstead being on the team for much longer so at worst he will be good depth. Could rotate and rush from the inside in certain nickel situations alongside Buckner/Thomas. 

6th round, #184 overall Simmie Cobbs Jr WR Indiana

Like y2,, I can't understand why he isn't getting more hype. The talent is clearly there and he produced with subpar QB play. I thought it was a bit overrated how people said he dominated Ward as that wasn't the case, but he did beat him for the TD and showed his ability in the red zone. Cobbs Jr has very good body control and high points the ball well. He should be a 3rd round pick, but he falls and we scoop up a nice talent. 

7th round, #223 overall Arrion Springs CB Oregon

I watched a few Oregon games and Springs stood out every game. But it wasn't always good. Springs has solid size and is a good play maker but thought his technique got sloppy at times and he misses too many tackles. There is some potential here though and would love to see him under the wings of Sherman and see what he could do in 2019. For next season lets just put him on the IR lol.

7th round, #240 overall Boston Scott RB LA Tech

Would have loved to go RB earlier in this mock draft as it is a stacked class, but it just didn't work out. And besides, I'm still a believer in Joe Williams who looked good in preseason. It just comes down to how seriously he approaches this upcoming season and how hard he works. The talent is certainly not an issue. Anyways, on to Scott, dude is super quick and undersized. Does he make the team? Not sure, but I do know when he gets the ball in the open field he is dangerous and Shanny may be able to eventually find a role for him.

2 minutes ago, StevenK said:

So we trade up to number 2 and take Landry? Why not Chubb :D

I like the draft though!

Lol and we gave up no picks this year well done! Lol but on a serious note I would be happy with it. Would love to have picked a guard with one of our 3rds but atless we come away with a OT.

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lol and we gave up no picks this year well done! Lol but on a serious note I would be happy with it. Would love to have picked a guard with one of our 3rds but atless we come away with a OT.

Definitely wanted to pick a guard as well but I get the sense Shanny is fine with who we have and rather have two good bookends and a good C.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hmmmmm....Landry AND Mata'afa?! Wow. Talk about loading up on pass rush. I like that. Landry seems to be the best speedy rusher, but Hercules is very intriguing due to his blazing fast first step (he is across the line before the ball even touches the QB's hands).

I'm in the belief of doubling up on the edge, but there are some questions of how successful Mata'afa will be in the NFL playing the edge since he played primarily inside in college. But like you said, dudes first step is ridiculous. I just want him on my team and then we could figure it out from there. 

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

No real complaints.. though I'd want more of a mike lb that can better handle the run game between the C gaps. 

Definitely would have preferred a LB that could do that and cover but after the first few rounds they are hard to come by. But with the way the game is going, need to stop the pass more so than the run. A lot of these backs are more dangerous or equally as dangerous in the pass game as they are in the run game. Maybe next year we could address the Mike position. 

Not a huge fan of Goedert or Ma'tafa but getting Cobbs in the sixth is clutch. Not huge on Parry Nickerson that early, but I think he comes in and starts right away so it's good value. Like Jamarco Jones at that point too. Solid draft. 

I actually love the Goedert selection. No lie, that would have been my pick in the 2nd, but the mock I used as my justification for whoever was available had him selected earlier in the 2nd. I think Goedert has Gronk potential which I would LOVE to give Jimmy. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I actually love the Goedert selection. No lie, that would have been my pick in the 2nd, but the mock I used as my justification for whoever was available had him selected earlier in the 2nd. I think Goedert has Gronk potential which I would LOVE to give Jimmy. 

I guess I'm higher on Kittle than most. I think he has the skill set to become a good TE in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

I guess I'm higher on Kittle than most. I think he has the skill set to become a good TE in the NFL. 

You could be high on Kittle and still want someone like Goedert. Having two dominant TEs like the Pats used to have is a pretty huge advantage. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You could be high on Kittle and still want someone like Goedert. Having two dominant TEs like the Pats used to have is a pretty huge advantage. 

That was very rare. I think every yr fans keep that fantasy alive more so than teams actually draft that way. Would I be against...obviously not. 

Archived