Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

The 49ers got a win in New Orleans on Sunday, but the 48-46 shootout took a toll on them physically.

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan announced that center Weston Richburg tore his patellar tendon and will miss the rest of the season. Ben Garland will step into the center spot for this week and beyond. Cornerback Richard Sherman is set to miss a couple of weeks after going for an MRI of his injured hamstring. Defensive end Dee Ford also re-injured his hamstring and Shanahan said he’ll also miss multiple weeks as a result of the injury.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/49ers-lose-weston-richburg-for-year-richard-sherman-for-weeks/

Second-and-short is one of the best situations to throw downfield in football: It can produce a big play, but if the pass is incomplete, the offense still has a good opportunity to pick up the first down on third-and-short. But only one team is taking advantage of those situations. That team is the Packers, who are the only team in the NFL that passes more than they run on second-and-short, and who average 14.2 yards on second-and-short, according to the Wall Street Journal. (Those stats exclude goal-line situations.)

No team is remotely close to as successful in those situations: The Packers are gaining twice as many yards on second-and-short as the next-best team.

The Packers have two different passes of 50 yards or longer on second-and-short this season; the rest of the NFL combined has one pass of 50 yards or longer on second-and-short this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/14/packers-finding-a-big-advantage-on-second-and-short/

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Second-and-short is one of the best situations to throw downfield in football: It can produce a big play, but if the pass is incomplete, the offense still has a good opportunity to pick up the first down on third-and-short. But only one team is taking advantage of those situations. That team is the Packers, who are the only team in the NFL that passes more than they run on second-and-short, and who average 14.2 yards on second-and-short, according to the Wall Street Journal. (Those stats exclude goal-line situations.)

No team is remotely close to as successful in those situations: The Packers are gaining twice as many yards on second-and-short as the next-best team.

The Packers have two different passes of 50 yards or longer on second-and-short this season; the rest of the NFL combined has one pass of 50 yards or longer on second-and-short this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/14/packers-finding-a-big-advantage-on-second-and-short/

With Dalvin in the backfield, we should be passing a lot on 2nd and short. Our play action game is deadly as it is, but I suspect it would be even better in 2nd and shorts. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Aaron Rodgers:  "[Winning his second Super Bowl] is on my mind every day. That’s why we play the game. That’s why you put in the time in the offseason, that’s why you do the little things. It’s to put yourself in this position, where we’re two games away from being able to compete for that. I’m 36, I know what this is all about. This is an important opportunity for us. I feel like I’ve got a lot of really good years left, but you never know. A lot of things happen year to year. We’ve had some great teams that have been an injury away or a play away from being special, so I want to make the most of this opportunity. When I was 31, I thought I was going to play into my 40s and that was still a decade away. now, I’m 36, so now we’re a half a decade away.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/09/aaron-rodgers-thinks-about-super-bowl-every-day/

• 2 weeks later...

Like the coming of spring, it has become an annual tradition.  It's time to hear Packers Super Fan, Carl Gerbschmidt's reaction to the Packers being bounced from the playoffs.  Gerby was living large leading up to the big game, but as is usual when the Packers are eliminated, he is a little emotional.  :D

The call starts at around 114.00.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-the-dan-barreiro-show-26981004/ 

Edited by Uncle Buck

36 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

I can see it now and it makes me sick.. The Packers fall apart next season whether its Rodgers getting injured early or just plain falls off and Green Bay is able to secure the top pick and end up with Lawrence.

Its just life as a Vikings fan.

Don't even speak that into existence. 

• Like 2

Karma will come back to bite them.  Even if they were to draft Lawrence, he would then become the modern day Tony Mandarich, or if you want to go way back to the last time they drafted #1 overall...in 1959, they took some JAG QB named Randy Duncan (who apparently ended up not even signing with the Packers, and went to the CFL and then the Dallas Texans (before they traded for Len Dawson).  

Edited by swede700

23 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

I can see it now and it makes me sick.. The Packers fall apart next season whether its Rodgers getting injured early or just plain falls off and Green Bay is able to secure the top pick and end up with Lawrence.

Its just life as a Vikings fan.

I think it'd be more likely that they trade back in the draft and pick up an extra 1st round pick. That team would then become the worst team in the league

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ugh... you know it's trolling when you do it here too, ya know?

Come on.  You have to admit that's funny.  It's not trolling.  It would be funny even if Cousins was the guy doing the State Farm commercials.  The 49ers did the same thing to him.