Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

2 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

Is trolling frowned upon?  If so, I'll have to tell my evil twin.

Yeah, this is not a site you want to be trolling on.  It seems like some of us have different definitions of what constitutes "trolling."  The picture I posted above wasn't meant to troll the packer fans.  It was just in fun.  I'm sure the vast majority of Packer fans wouldn't have a problem with it, just like it wouldn't bother me if they posted something similar about Kirk.  Part of the fun of being a football fan is the back and forth with fans of other teams, particularly our division rivals.  That's my two cents anyway. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, this is not a site you want to be trolling on.  It seems like some of us have different definitions of what constitutes "trolling."  The picture I posted above wasn't meant to troll the packer fans.  It was just in fun.  I'm sure the vast majority of Packer fans wouldn't have a problem with it, just like it wouldn't bother me if they posted something similar about Kirk.  Part of the fun of being a football fan is the back and forth with fans of other teams, particularly our division rivals.  That's my two cents anyway. 

ummm... yeah... not really.

i think you have to keep in mind the site's Webmaster asked/demanded you not post in the GB forum any more. because your "jokes" there were... trolling. so it's no different here, or any other forum on the site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i think you have to keep in mind the site's Webmaster asked/demanded you not post in the GB forum any more. because your "jokes" there were... trolling. so it's no different here, or any other forum on the site.

I get it vike daddy but as a 40 something man everyone is soo “triggered “ today. It almost makes me want to quit following this site.. I remember the good old days before the evil inter web 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, joeybrowner47 said:

I get it vike daddy but as a 40 something man everyone is soo “triggered “ today. It almost makes me want to quit following this site.. I remember the good old days before the evil inter web 

eh, i just see stuff like that as petty and juvenile and ultimately unnecessary. we strive for a higher level of conversation, and even humor.

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

II have respected Webby's wishes in that regard and have not posted a single word in there since that day.

Wikipedia gives the following definition of the word "troll":    In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

VD, do you really believe it has ever been my intention to start quarrels, upset, distract, or sow discord among Packer fans or any other people on this site.  I think if you look around the site in areas that I still do visit, you will find that I am one of the more complimentary posters out there, whether it be on the subject of the Packers or any other player or team.  I feel that I have made a very positive contribution to this site over the many years I've been posting here.  I think you are being a little overly sensitive on this.

For some reason, I am unable to edit my above post.  I just wanted to quote a post I made just recently, where I was actually standing up for the Packer fans when I felt that people had started piling on a little too much after the NFCCG.  I don't know how to embed posts from another thread, but here is what I wrote in response to one a post made by a Packer fan named "spilltray" in NFL General.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:23 AM, spilltray said:

I don't really see the problem here. Going into the season, I said that my hope if everything went well this season was the Packers going 10-11 wins and maybe winning the WC round game. I still think that's about where their talent level was. I was told I was wildly optimistic, even by most other Packers fans who were thinking more like 8-8. They heavily exceeded those expectations. They had pretty good luck with help and overall played way better football than I expected before the year started.

Sure they got whipped. It's an awful matchup for the Packers without a couple more pieces, but it's a great year 1 of a new coaching staff and front office working together and a huge step forward from where they were a year ago.

This is a very fair assessment and one that is probably shared by a lot of Packer fans.  Most Cheeseheads on this site are very level-headed, and actually very knowledgable when it comes to the game of football.  They have a few very vociferous homers in their forum, but we could probably all say that about our own fan base.  I can't say I didn't enjoy seeing the Packers taking another savage beating at the hands of the 49ers, but as you said, spilltray, it was still a successful season.  The Packers are an ascending team.  I'm not confident in saying that about my Vikings.

I can't say that the Packers are an ascending team, because they were Lions-esque lucky this season (if you recall that one season where the Lions won something like 9 games in the last 2 minutes).  If anything, they are plateauing at this point, because inevitably, Aaron Rodgers is still the most important part of that team, and despite their success this season, I'm not sure he was the same.  The Vikings certainly are at a crossroads, as they could go either way, depending upon the re-make of the defense.  However, I can't say, with any confidence, that either team is necessarily ascending or descending.  I think both teams are clearly the class of the division at this point, and depending upon what the Bears do at the QB position, could eventually be in the mix.  

Edited by swede700

On 10/16/2017 at 9:46 PM, vikingsrule said:

I said the same thing when Favre was on his way out of GB. Hopefully they don't find another good QB for a long time, give them a taste of what MN has dealt with.

I hear that they want one in this years draft. I'm really high on J. Herbert so I'm praying they do land him. But also I projected Rodgers to be mediocre and was happy when then took him so what do I know! 

Edited by vikes635

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Rodgers has 4 years left on his contract. I don’t envision the Packers using a 1st round pick on a QB any time soon. 

Agreed.  It'll be 2-3 years before they even contemplate taking a QB high in the draft, especially considering this is really just the first year of his new extension and his dead cap number will be over $30M the next 2 years (almost $40M this coming year).  This is different from the Favre situation as Favre was showing signs of decline (although it ended up being a slower decline than initially thought) and he had been waffling on retirement several times already when they drafted Rodgers.  There has been no such waffling from Rodgers.  

What's the consensus on Jerry Gray while he was in MN?

I'm always leery when people throw around "big-time hire" like whoever tweeted about us interviewing him yesterday. I know the Safety position flourished and the CBs had a few top tier years under his tutelage but that's about it.

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

What's the consensus on Jerry Gray while he was in MN?

I'm always leery when people throw around "big-time hire" like whoever tweeted about us interviewing him yesterday. I know the Safety position flourished and the CBs had a few top tier years under his tutelage but that's about it.

He certainly was solid and turned Xavier into what he was at his peak.  He did fairly well at developing young CBs who had talent.  However, I think he had plateaued with the players, which was especially problematic this year.  He did well, but he could only get them so far.  I don't know if that was necessarily his fault or the players...

• Like 1