Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

He certainly was solid and turned Xavier into what he was at his peak.  He did fairly well at developing young CBs who had talent.  However, I think he had plateaued with the players, which was especially problematic this year.  He did well, but he could only get them so far.  I don't know if that was necessarily his fault or the players...

Appreciate the info!

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

He certainly was solid and turned Xavier into what he was at his peak.  He did fairly well at developing young CBs who had talent.  However, I think he had plateaued with the players, which was especially problematic this year.  He did well, but he could only get them so far.  I don't know if that was necessarily his fault or the players...

Why wasn't he retained?

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why wasn't he retained?

It hasn't been disclosed, but the common thought is that Zimmer believed that they needed a different voice in the room because they had seemed to plateau, if not regress, this last year.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It hasn't been disclosed, but the common thought is that Zimmer believed that they needed a different voice in the room because they had seemed to plateau, if not regress, this last year.  

Or Gray decided to find longer term employment this year, rather than be left in limbo for a year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

What's the consensus on Jerry Gray while he was in MN?

I'm always leery when people throw around "big-time hire" like whoever tweeted about us interviewing him yesterday. I know the Safety position flourished and the CBs had a few top tier years under his tutelage but that's about it.

it's tough to say given that zimmer is a defensive coach and his specialty would be with defensive backs - he seemed to have taken on rhodes as his pet project when he first got here. 

but generally speaking, besides this season when our corners were all injured or underperforming, we've had one of the best secondaries in the league with jerry gray as our DB's coach. a lot of our DB's have been first round picks but he's gotten good production out of late round guys - holton hill was a UDFA and looks solid, anthony harris was a UDFA and was one of the top 3 safeties in the league this season and jayron kearse was a 7th round pick and has been effective in his niche role - PFF rated him as a top 5 safety though he wasn't a starter like the other top guys.

you guys have talent in your secondary so while i can't say jerry gray will be a "big-time hire" for you guys, i don't think he'll let you down.

Edited by whitehops
grammar error :/
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ripline said:

I understand the Vikings and their fans have never seen one, but SUPER BOWL RING BABY!!! :D;)

I feel sad for you and all Packers fans, because once we do get the Lombardi, you'll have absolutely no arguments left...since that's apparently the only one you ever have.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Or Gray decided to find longer term employment this year, rather than be left in limbo for a year. 

Why would he have been in limbo?  If Zimmer thinks there'll be an extension for him, I'm sure if he wanted Gray back he would have told him.