Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 1/26/2020 at 1:42 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, this is not a site you want to be trolling on.  It seems like some of us have different definitions of what constitutes "trolling."  The picture I posted above wasn't meant to troll the packer fans.  It was just in fun.  I'm sure the vast majority of Packer fans wouldn't have a problem with it, just like it wouldn't bother me if they posted something similar about Kirk.  Part of the fun of being a football fan is the back and forth with fans of other teams, particularly our division rivals.  That's my two cents anyway. 

I'm a Packer fan.  And I don't have a problem with the picture.  It's funny.  And true.

We have our "fun" at the Vikings expense, too.  No big deal.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 11:27 AM, swede700 said:

I can't say that the Packers are an ascending team, because they were Lions-esque lucky this season (if you recall that one season where the Lions won something like 9 games in the last 2 minutes).  If anything, they are plateauing at this point, because inevitably, Aaron Rodgers is still the most important part of that team, and despite their success this season, I'm not sure he was the same.  The Vikings certainly are at a crossroads, as they could go either way, depending upon the re-make of the defense.  However, I can't say, with any confidence, that either team is necessarily ascending or descending.  I think both teams are clearly the class of the division at this point, and depending upon what the Bears do at the QB position, could eventually be in the mix.  

Packer fan here.

We are on a slippery slope.  Won 14 games.  Lost 4.  Pretty amazing season.

But...GB won 2 games against the Lions despite never taking a snap with a lead.  One of those games was without Stafford at QB.

I think the Packers could realistically be a better team next year and win 10 games in the regular season.  We got a lot of timely defensive stops and a few good drives to end games.  Ball bounces the other way and there are a good 4-5 wins that go away...fast.

We are banking on our new coach evolving the offense and we desperately need WR help.  Our QB is very flawed right now and he needs to play better.  Most of us know that and understand that.

We have a huge hole on the DL and ILB.  Lots of uncertainty at RT.  Very good RB who may want a new deal.

It ain't all roses, despite that stellar record this past year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Packer fan here.

But...GB won 2 games against the Lions despite never taking a snap with a lead.  One of those games was without Stafford at QB.

I think the Packers could realistically be a better team next year and win 10 games in the regular season.  We got a lot of timely defensive stops and a few good drives to end games.  Ball bounces the other way and there are a good 4-5 wins that go away...fast.

We are banking on our new coach evolving the offense and we desperately need WR help.  Our QB is very flawed right now and he needs to play better.  Most of us know that and understand that.

We have a huge hole on the DL and ILB.  Lots of uncertainty at RT.  Very good RB who may want a new deal.

I can certainly agree that it was an amazing season for the Packers.  I was hoping for a 3rd crack at you, because the Vikings left far too much on the table against them in the two clashes that they did have.  Hoping for a better outcome next season.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I feel sad for you and all Packers fans, because once we do get the Lombardi, you'll have absolutely no arguments left...since that's apparently the only one you ever have.  

You have to admit, we'd be using the same argument if the tables were turned.  It won't be that way forever.  It's possible we put together a team that can do like Seattle and get there twice in 2-3 years.  Then if we have two of them, we will be telling the Packers they have only won two in the last 50+ years. 

See Vike Daddy, this is all part of the fun of a rivalry.  It's not trolling.  It's just a little friendly banter between people who have a mutual interest in football but who cheer for different teams.  People don't need to get so offended all the time.  It's just fun. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

I can certainly agree that it was an amazing season for the Packers.  I was hoping for a 3rd crack at you, because the Vikings left far too much on the table against them in the two clashes that they did have.  Hoping for a better outcome next season.  

Those GB/Vikings, GB/Bears, Bear/Vikings games are always interesting.  We know eachother really, really well.  And those games are so much fun to watch because of that.  

We kind of had your number this year and I can't really tell you why.  Except that GB played really well against teams that struggled at guard and center.

Bears and Vikes were pretty weak at center.

Next year will be different, no doubt.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Packer fan here.

Agreed.  But GB has the resources to make some moves and probably has the easiest holes/issues to address of any team in the division (At this point).

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Agreed.  But GB has the resources to make some moves and probably has the easiest holes/issues to address of any team in the division (At this point).

They’ve got that big issue at QB to figure out. Who knows when Rodgers calls it a career,  but even then, his play has declined. The Vikes are very limited from a resource standpoint and have a window that is rapidly closing, unless they have an outstanding draft and fill big voids at OL (need a guard and tackle), the secondary (CB and maybe Safety) and at DT.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:55 PM, vikingsrule said:

They’ve got that big issue at QB to figure out. Who knows when Rodgers calls it a career,  but even then, his play has declined. The Vikes are very limited from a resource standpoint and have a window that is rapidly closing, unless they have an outstanding draft and fill big voids at OL (need a guard and tackle), the secondary (CB and maybe Safety) and at DT.

I think the key to winning consistently is being solid in the trenches.

GB has a very good offensive line across all 5 positions and Veldheer made us 6 deep with quality.  Arguably our back up center, Patrick, wasn't a dumpster fire either.

I think that is how GB managed to win the games they did despite having only one offensive weapon in Adams.  Okay, Jones at RB was a weapon as well.

Defensively, we did stop the run up the middle.  Clark and Martinez were strong.  But...get that line moving laterally and it was a different story.  We had no "other" ILB to help Martinez and no "other" DL to help Clark.  Martinez is a free agent and Clark will probably play on the 5'th year option, but he's looking for a payday.

Bulaga is a free agent and he's a very good OT.

With Rodgers being what he is...it may be wise to retain Bulaga.  Unsure if Martinez is worth the money.

But...we can patch holes pretty nicely given our cap space.

But we really and I mean REALLY need Rodgers to step up.  He still has the arm, but those legs lost a step.  And he is very risk adverse with the balls he will throw and the trust he shows in WR's.  That hurts us big time.

But still, I'd rather have that strong line and limited weapons than a poor line and great weapons.

I think if the Vikes want to be better, well, it's a tough cap spot, but you need to pray that Bradbury gets better, fast.  And you gotta address the other line spots and hope to find some quality in the draft.  It can be done.

I feared the Vikes this past year because of the weaponry at RB/QB/WR.  But it proved beatable because that line just wasn't good in games against GB.  Get a better line, even if it means reducing the weaponry and I think the Vikes get better.

Just my $.02.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Packers General Manager Brian Gutekunst said a month ago it was his understanding Jimmy Graham wants to continue to play. If that’s the case, do the Packers still want the tight end to play for them? Graham is under contract with the Packers in 2020, scheduled to count $11.67 million against the salary cap in the final year of his three-year deal. The Packers would save $8 million against the cap by releasing him.

Graham, 33, caught only 38 passes for 447 yards and three touchdowns in 16 games in 2019.

Gutekunst: “After we get through free-agency meetings, after we get through draft meetings and then we get back from the combine, the picture starts to get a little clearer. And certainly with the CBA thing in flux, that’ll help, too. So I’m going to be patient there and get to the other side of the combine before we start making any decisions.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/jimmy-grahams-future-with-the-packers-remains-a-question/

On 2/22/2020 at 2:43 PM, VikeManDan said:

That seems like a no brainer move. I know they drafted Sternberger last year, anyone know how he played? 

I think he got injured at some point and didn't come back until late in the year, but like I said last year, it's pointless for the Packers to ever even draft a TE high or sign an expensive one, as Rodgers doesn't use them.  As long as he is the QB, they may as well not even have one.