Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

He’s every bit as much an answer as anyone left in the draft. 

I think a guy like Morgan or even Gordon has far more upside than Browning.  Browning has the upside of a guy like some of those no-names that the Vikings have brought in in the past, like Stave.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think a guy like Morgan or even Gordon has far more upside than Browning.  Browning has the upside of a guy like some of those no-names that the Vikings have brought in in the past, like Stave.

Browning is a former top HS quarterback (#3 or #5 pro style QB depending on your scouting service) in the nation, productive college player with good athleticism that was dinged due to throwing arm injuries - his upside is no different than anyone drafted in the third round and beyond.

Edited by RpMc

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t agree that Browning has any more upside than the likes of Fromm, Hurts, or Gordon. 

I agree with this. But going further, even if they all had the exact same upside it is worth taking someone as none of them have a 100% chance of reaching their upside potential. Having a couple developing allows you a better chance of ending up with someone that nears their potential.

I am a proponent of having 4 QBs with reasonable potential to become a starter in the league. Odds are by roster cut down one of them will have fallen behind enough to be able to go into the season with three of them. If not, it isn't a terrible use of the roster spot.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t agree that Browning has any more upside than the likes of Fromm, Hurts, or Gordon. 

Based on what? Recency?

Browning's sophomore season at Washington is as good as any from the likes of that group.  43 touchdowns and 9 interceptions on less than 400 attempts.  Gordon had near 700 attempts and only put up 48 touchdowns.  Not to mention Air Raid QB's typically don't transition well to the NFL with Kyler Murray and Patrick Mahomes being the outliers; Gordon certainly isn't in their class.

If you want to argue that the arm injuries are something he might not ever fully recover from, I might listen to that argument, but in terms of developmental potential Fromm/Gordon are no different than Browning in that regards.  Hurts brings an added element, so he MIGHT be a better developmental option, but at what cost?

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

They've been going GAGA all day over the pick on NFL Network. 

That does not surprise me.  National guys are like cable news networks...they get talking points from their superiors that they need to constantly repeat throughout the day to try to convince people that it's true.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, joru1000 said:

I honestly have no idea what the hell the Packers are trying to accomplish, but I'm not going to complain.

You are not alone in your assessment.  Draft analysts have rationalized the Packers not upgrading their WR corps by stating that this draft is so deep in WR talent that a decent one can be found in the 4th or 5th rounds.  However, the Packers remaining picks are 175 (late 5th), 192, 208, 209, 236, 242.  Perhaps they are just going to wait until other teams cut some WR's in a few months?