Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm calling it now: Rodgers goes to the Jets next season...and Chicago in 2022.

That contract is still a hard pill to swallow to move on from him.  They save less than $5M by releasing/trading Rodgers, so the cap savings is minimal at best.  The year after, they're only going to have $17M in dead cap and save more than $22M.  He will likely be a Packer for at least two more years before he's traded.

23 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Poor Sharon. They keep trolling him...

Kind of like a bad boyfriend who pushes his girlfriend into the arms of his rival...

I'm calling it now: Rodgers goes to the Jets next season...and Chicago in 2022.

I still think he gets traded to New England.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:
I don't remember seeing Madison ever play, like even in preseason. He must be kinda bad.

He took his rookie year off, for mental health reasons. The speculation at the time was that he had PTSD after the suicide of one of his teammates and friends. When he returned to the team, he said he needed the time off for other reasons: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/04/23/cole-madison-absence-packers-my-life-line/3550555002/

Madison did play in preseason last year, and made the team. But he never played in a game, and tore his ACL in practice in November.

Now he's being released, so maybe a conditioning issue coming back to camp after the injury. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, swede700 said:

The most likely destination for Aaron is still Chicago at some point, but like wc sorta said, he'll have to have a middle stop...which will be Jacksonville.  

I'm really hoping for Chicago.  First it was Favre in purple, and then if Rodgers is playing for 'da Bears, there could be a Cheesehead revolt in Green Bay.  :D

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 11:39 AM, CWood21 said:

That contract is still a hard pill to swallow to move on from him.  They save less than $5M by releasing/trading Rodgers, so the cap savings is minimal at best.  The year after, they're only going to have $17M in dead cap and save more than $22M.  He will likely be a Packer for at least two more years before he's traded.

What happens if the season is cut way short or if we end up not having a season at all in 2020? 

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

What happens if the season is cut way short or if we end up not having a season at all in 2020? 

If there’s no season, contracts will toll. Bonuses will still be paid and counted against the cap (including prorated bonuses), but salaries get pushed back a year.

For Rodgers, that means his very low $1.5M salary from 2020 would be his 2021 salary, and his higher $14M+ 2021 salary would push back to 2022, etc. His 2021 cap number would thus be much lower (similar to the $21M this year), and there’d be no cap savings (his cap number would increase) if he was released or traded. So he’d be very likely to stay in GB in 2021, but almost certainly gone in 2022, when his dead cap number would be low and his cap hit higher with the higher salary. 

If the season is cut short, he’d get a lower salary but most of his cap number wouldn’t change (because he has a low salary and most of his cap hit is his prorated signing bonus). His 2021 contract would have the same cap hit and dead money as it did originally. But with the cap potentially being much lower in 2021 or even beyond, the Packers might want to pull the trigger on a QB change before Rodgers’ 2021 roster bonus comes due — moving on at that point would free up a little cap space in 2021, and a lot in 2022 and after. 

• Like 1

Matt LaFleur: “Right now, most importantly, Aaron’s our quarterback and I see him here for a really long time. However long that is, I don’t think anybody knows. Nothing’s guaranteed in this league. But I feel so lucky to be able to work with him on a daily basis and I don’t see that changing for a really long time.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/matt-lafleur-no-guarantees-but-i-see-aaron-rodgers-here-for-a-really-long-time/

and we had no plans to trade Percy Harvin....

• Like 1