Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Before releasing the veteran wide receiver on Tuesday, the Green Bay Packers asked Jordy Nelson to take a substantial pay cut, according to Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com.

Nelson was scheduled to earn $9.25 million from the Packers in base salary in 2018, per NFLPA records. Per Wilde, the team asked Nelson to trim his salary to amount not significantly higher than the league minimum amount for a player of Nelson’s experience. For a 10-year veteran like Nelson, the minimum salary Nelson could earn in 2018 would be $1.105 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/report-packers-asked-jordy-nelson-to-take-pay-cut-before-release/

Randall wasn’t good but he was probably GB’s best DB last year in the half of the season that he played well. Browns will move him (back) to FS (his college position) — could be another case of a Packers DB doing better elsewhere after a position change (Micah Hyde in Buffalo last year being a prime example). Randall’s attitude is probably the biggest reason he’s gone. But it has to be hard to lose his talent, they’re super thin at CB without him.

Kizer was really bad last year for the Browns. McCarthy’s track record with QBs is brutal aside from Rodgers. I guess Kizer could be better than Hundley, if they need to start a backup again, but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

Nelson is done, smart to release him given his cap hit even if Rodgers wishes he could stay. Cobb has underperformed his contract but there could still be upside there, not surprised they’re apparently keeping him.

Graham is getting older and wasn’t very effective for Seattle last year except as a red zone weapon, where he was exceptional. Rodgers is so good in the red zone anyway that I’m not sure that moves the needle much for their overall offensive production to justify spending a big chunk of their non-Rodgers cap space on him, especially when they don’t have a legitimate starting CB on the roster right now. 

Mo Wilkerson has been only OK since he broke his leg at the end of 2015. He was a discipline problem last year for the Jets. He’ll be the 3rd best DL on the Packers, behind Daniels and the excellent and still improving Kenny Clark. I don’t really get the idea of upgrading DL, which is by far the strongest position on that defense already, with their best 2 players on that side of the ball. Maybe GB will play a 4-3 under scheme, with Wilk as a 5-tech DE (the Calais Campbell role for the Jags) and Perry as a true edge. Still, they need another edge rusher, a better ILB, another starting safety, and at least 2 CBs. They’d be asking a lot of Pettine to make the pass defense good with current personnel. At least the run defense should be good.

Bottom line from the off season so far: looks like the Packers are aiming to win every game 45-42.

Very excellent take Krauser, you seem to know our current team situation better than most Packers fans. :P

I think whatever front they end up going with, lots of bodies in rotation will always help.  Dean Lowry did an admirable job last year, stout in the run, not a liability in the pass, but between our top 4 guys on the DL, there will surely be plenty of reps to go around.  I am hoping, at least, adding Mo and another year of Kenny Clark development will help our pass rush a lot which will also hopefully make life easier for our CBs.   My guess is still probably have around 15-18 million (depending on Jimmy Graham's structure) to spend on D/cornerbacks.   Still can restructure Cobb, Matthews and/or Rodgers to make more money this year if need be.  Our cap looks surprisingly good for next year which included ARod under contract already.  

We obviously need at least 1 if not 2 in CBs in FA (which technically hasn't even started yet).    ILB, we could use an upgrade over a Jake Ryan maybe, but Blake Martinez has really been turning into a good one, not necessarily a need here, but a spot where I wouldn't hesitate to throw a 1st rounder at if we take care of CB in FA (at least a little).  Safety we are fairly deep and experienced, Kentrell Brice has played some good ball, Marwin Evans at times too, both young but both earned lots of reps as rookies as the 5th or 6th DB even with a healthy Burnett and Haha.  And we did just spend a 2nd rounder on Josh Jones last year.  No one answer if we don't sign Burnett, but definitely some credible options.  

Either way, I'm thinking we may get a game or two in primetime this year against each other and also possible for a 3rd meeting in January. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Hypothetical/discussion topic:

Browns call Packers and offer #1 and #4 for Rodgers. 

Browns get franchise QB, Packers could go from Favre to Rodgers to insert QB here and have #4.

No QB taken at #4 is going to be as good or better than Rodgers.  Green Bay doesn't win anything in that scenario.  There is no price that will be enough to trade away a HOF QB.  

Edited by disaacs

4 hours ago, disaacs said:

No QB taken at #4 is going to be as good or better than Rodgers.  Green Bay doesn't win anything in that scenario.  There is no price that will be enough to trade away a HOF QB.  

But isn't it fun to think about???

9 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Hypothetical/discussion topic:

Browns call Packers and offer #1 and #4 for Rodgers. 

Browns get franchise QB, Packers could go from Favre to Rodgers to insert QB here and have #4.

Vikings say No.... I want the Packers to have to deal with a retiring Rodgers and the best draft pick they have is #30 after they lose to us in the NFCCG. 

I want them to deal with a terrible QB situation for once.

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Vikings say No.... I want the Packers to have to deal with a retiring Rodgers and the best draft pick they have is #30 after they lose to us in the NFCCG. 

I want them to deal with a terrible QB situation for once.

They did...they had Lynn Dickey and the Majik Man.  But, the kids need to relive that era of bad Packers football.  

Free agency starts long before free agency starts officially. The Packers have next to nothing at CB right now. King might be a legitimate starter, coming off his injury shortened rookie year — he had the one big game in Atlanta. If so, he’s the only one. 

The Bears matched the Packers offer on Fuller. The structure of the deal actually saves them cap space this year. It does lock Fuller in for at least 2 years at top 5-ish CB prices, a little more (maybe $2-3M extra) than he’s worth, but money the Bears can easily afford (more easily than GB). Not a bad move by GB to force their divisional rivals to pay a premium for a homegrown player, but it wasn’t ever going to land Fuller in Green Bay. 

There’s no top end CB talent left on the market in FA at this point. I guess they’ll sign a mid-level UFA CB and then draft another starter in the first round. Should be able to get a legit talent at #14.

I still think the problem with the Packers defense is a lack of top end talent. They have 2 very good DL, 3 if Wilkerson returns to form. Maybe they can play Wilk at OLB or as a 4-3 style DE, so he gets on the field in nickel. Otherwise, their best edge rusher is Perry, who’s injury prone and inconsistent but paid like a top 12 edge because his one big year was his contract year. Matthews is OK, but hasn’t been an impact player for a few years now. Their best DB is Clinton-Dix, who was mediocre last year. Maybe Kevin King or Josh Jones turns into something, I don’t know. 

At this point, it’s hard to find a single player on the Packers defense who’d start for the Vikings. Daniels and Clark are good, but they wouldn’t play in front of Richardson and Joseph. I wouldn’t take any of their edge players over Hunter. Martinez is a better tackler than Kendricks but he’s bad in coverage. I guess he could upgrade Gedeon, though that’s not really a starter. Maybe King could be our 2nd or 3rd best CB, if he lives up to his one big game so far and Waynes regresses and/or Alexander fails to improve. Clinton Dix could be considered an upgrade on Sendejo, but it’s a lot closer than their reputations would suggest. 

Pettine has a track record with the Jets of maximizing the results from limited talent. Even then he had Revis in his prime, so he could scheme the rest of the defense to play 10 on 10. The Packers don’t have that kind of difference maker yet. I think they’ll look for one in the draft.

In the meantime, they’ll be an interesting case study in how much of a difference coaching can make. Vikings fans saw a big turnaround when Frazier was replaced by Zimmer, taking a 32nd ranked defense (despite Allen, Robison, rookie Floyd, aging KWilliams, Greenway, rookie Rhodes and Smith) and making them respectable overnight after the addition of a couple of mid priced FAs (Linval and Captain) and one premium draft pick (Barr). If the Packers can pull off a similar transition, I’ll be impressed. And a little surprised. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 7

Cornerback Tramon Williams is returning to the Packers on a two-year deal, according to James Jones of NFL Media. Williams, 35, spent eight years of his career with the Packers, leaving after the 2014 season. He was in Cleveland two years and Arizona last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/22/report-tramon-williams-returns-to-packers/