Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Smart move. Tramon was really good for the Cards last year, based on his stats/grades and what little I saw of him. Instantly becomes their best DB, until King or whoever they draft this year learns the position. 

He’s 35, so maybe he falls off, but on the other hand, Terence Newman.  

On 3/15/2018 at 8:26 AM, disaacs said:

They did...they had Lynn Dickey and the Majik Man.  But, the kids need to relive that era of bad Packers football.  

The Majik man was actually a pretty good QB.  If I remember correctly, he just got injured and then some guy named Brett Favre took over for a little while in his place.

• Like 1

Aaron Rodgers' impending extension handcuffs Packers in free agency

Really interesting article by a Packers beat writer at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the negotiations around Rodgers' contract extension. Bottom line is that it looks like Rodgers wants a guarantee structure at least comparable to what Cousins got, and he wants to future proof the deal so he stays as the top paid QB even with upcoming extensions to Ryan, Mariota, etc, possibly by defining the value of the contract as a percentage of the cap. 

Throughout the NFL, it’s well-known the Packers have a fundamental way of structuring contracts. Their veteran deals traditionally include a signing bonus and no other guaranteed money in the contract.

...the Packers now must figure out how to make Rodgers the highest-paid player in the NFL, how to make sure he stays the highest-paid player in the NFL and how to avoid setting the precedent of guaranteeing an entire contract.

Several agents who have been dealing with the Packers in free agency have said it’s clear to them that the cautious approach the team is taking in free agency is due to the impending Rodgers contract extension.

They probably aren’t wrong. The truth is that this thing could get very complicated and the Packers must be ready for anything.

“There are a lot of rumblings going around that this deal is going to have voids and player options and percentages and all kinds of things to make sure he is able to keep up with the market,” a well-known agent with multiple quarterback clients said. “They’re going to have to come up with something far more creative (than the Cousins deal) because of that.”

Rodgers has two years left on his current deal and the Packers are not going to want to make it a one-year extension that guarantees all $90 million of the restructured contract. They’re going to want to add three years to the two existing years so they don’t have to go through this again next year.

Rodgers, 34, wants to play until he’s 40, so a three-year extension would just about take him there. The Packers would probably have to commit to five years of guaranteed money to get Rodgers to sign.

According to the agent, one way the Packers and Rodgers could reach a compromise is to guarantee the first three years fully and then guarantee the rest of the years for injury only. At some date each offseason, each salary in the final two years would become fully guaranteed.

In that scenario, the Packers would be essentially giving Rodgers a Cousins-type deal, but they would be protected the final two years if Rodgers’ play were to suddenly fall off the cliff.

Another option would be to give the Packers a buyout option in the final two years.

None of that, however, addresses the rising quarterback salaries and how Rodgers would be guaranteed to remain the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. The two sides will need to get creative to make sure that happens.

It’s very likely that Dunn will suggest Rodgers’ salary be tied to a percentage of the salary cap, which no one has done yet. But agents think that is the way things are headed and why wouldn’t Dunn try to accomplish it with one of the best players in the NFL?

• Like 1

Rodgers is a good QB, but I would have a big problem signing a guaranteed contract to a guy at his age who has already proven himself to be somewhat on the brittle side.  Sure, he's good when he's in there, but he isn't worth much when he's standing on the sidelines.  The Packers found that out last year.  This should get interesting.  :D 

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Rodgers is a good QB, but I would have a big problem signing a guaranteed contract to a guy at his age who has already proven himself to be somewhat on the brittle side.  Sure, he's good when he's in there, but he isn't worth much when he's standing on the sidelines.  The Packers found that out last year.  This should get interesting.  :D 

C'mon, Buck... You are selling Rodgers short. He's the best QB in the game. Calling him "good" is a slight. He's a better QB than prime Favre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

C'mon, Buck... You are selling Rodgers short. He's the best QB in the game. Calling him "good" is a slight. He's a better QB than prime Favre.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not JD.  It wasn't my intention to take a shot at Rodgers by saying he is good.  He is the second best QB in the game.  That guy in New England isn't too bad either.  As for the Favre comparison, I'd rather have Favre as my QB, but that's just personal preference I guess.

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm not sure if you're serious or not JD.  It wasn't my intention to take a shot at Rodgers by saying he is good.  He is the second best QB in the game.  That guy in New England isn't too bad either.  As for the Favre comparison, I'd rather have Favre as my QB, but that's just personal preference I guess.

I wasn’t being sarcastic, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Saying that he’s a “good” QB felt like a dig at a historically great player. Especially when discussing contract demands given the state of QB contracts around the league.

• Like 1

PACR is a new passing stat, a measure of efficiency consisting of YPA (yards per attempt) / aDOT (average depth of target). It’s a way of measuring production for a given depth of pass — YPA at each level of the field.

Josh Hermsmeyer’s site, airyards.com, has a visualization tool where you can compare each QBs production across the curve of difference depths of target to the NFL average at those same depths of target. Like all passing stats, it’s to some degree a measure of QB quality and to some degree a reflection of the success of the offense as a whole.

I wrote a few posts in the Packers thread at the old FF site charting the decline of their passing offense since 2015. Here it is in graph form:

Aaron Rodgers 2009-11: elite

DZydXuwV4AAq-HG.jpg

Aaron Rodgers 2012-14: very good, elite deep

DZydXu5U0AAb0J1.jpg

Aaron Rodgers 2015-17: roughly NFL average, believe it or not

DZydXutVoAAWAxL.jpg

...obviously he’s capable of playing better, but it’s striking how much ground the Packers offense has lost since Rodgers peak in 2010-11, and his extended success through 2014 (and early 2015, until the Broncos game).

• Like 3

Mike McCarthy: “This offseason resembles a Year One offseason. Obviously the defense is going through that because they’re building a brand-new playbook, new coaching staff, new philosophy. There is some carryover from our old defense. But offensively, when you have the same offensive system for 12 years, you’re playing late into the playoffs, you usually turn the page and evaluate and just try to evolve off what you did last year. We’ve taken a totally different approach. We’ve gone back to Page 1 in the playbook.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/mike-mccarthy-this-has-been-like-a-year-one-offseason/

Just now, vike daddy said:

Mike McCarthy: “This offseason resembles a Year One offseason. Obviously the defense is going through that because they’re building a brand-new playbook, new coaching staff, new philosophy. There is some carryover from our old defense. But offensively, when you have the same offensive system for 12 years, you’re playing late into the playoffs, you usually turn the page and evaluate and just try to evolve off what you did last year. We’ve taken a totally different approach. We’ve gone back to Page 1 in the playbook.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/mike-mccarthy-this-has-been-like-a-year-one-offseason/

This really is a big deal for the Packers.  The predictability of the Packer offense has been on full display for about the last four years.  Losing Jordy Nelson in the 2015 season made it near impossible to overcome.  Rodgers relied far too heavily on his scrambling ability ever since Jordy got hurt that year, and he's developed a lot of bad habits because of it. 

So McCarthy is supposedly throwing out the offensive playbook and starting again? Why then would he hire Joe Philbin back as offensive coordinator, when they worked together in designing the old system?

Philbin had no great success in Miami, his reputation rests on the 2009-11 peak of the Packers offense under Rodgers. I can understand the idea that Rodgers could recapture the successes of his prime by going back to basics with his old coordinator, but it makes no sense to get the gang together only in order to turn the page and do something completely different. 

If they wanted to do something new, maybe they could've hired someone new?

• Like 2