Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Interesting article enumerating some of the difficulties in the Packer's locker room last season:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/273366/packers-want-more-leaders-after-locker-room-wasnt-the-best-last-season

Most of us fans focus largely on productivity, often ignoring what happens behind the scenes.

Edited by perrynoid
Added material.

32 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Interesting article enumerating some of the difficulties in the Packer's locker room last season:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/273366/packers-want-more-leaders-after-locker-room-wasnt-the-best-last-season

Most of us fans focus largely on productivity, often ignoring what happens behind the scenes.

As I've gotten older, I tend to focus more on the behind the scenes stuff, which is why I was never interested in Marcus Peters in the draft, nor do I want a lazy guy like Muhammad Wilkerson in the locker room either.  I've seen enough bad locker-rooms in the Vikings' history to know that while it can work in short spurts, it doesn't work over the long haul...think the mid to late 80s Vikings teams and the late 90s-early 00s Vikings teams, as well as the late 00's-early 10's teams.  All had some good amount of talent, but also a good amount of knuckleheads (the Chilly ones had less of them, but they still had some...coach included).    

The Green Bay Packers will play their 100th season of pro football in 2018, and they’ll commemorate that on their jerseys. The Packers unveiled a “100 Seasons” patch that they will wear on their jerseys throughout the season. The Packers’ motto in 2018 is, “You only turn 100 once.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/10/packers-to-wear-patches-commemorating-their-100th-season/

Packers bringing back House for depth. He hasn't been good since he left GB for the Jags a few years ago, but at least he's an NFL player. 

Tramon Williams (age 35) still the only addition to the DB depth chart, which lost Morgan Burnett and Damarious Randall from last year's starters. Right now they've got: 

CB: Kevin King (2nd year, limited snaps as rookie due to injury), Tramon, House, Rollins (Achilles tear last year, terrible before that) and some UDFA depth like Hawkins and Pipkins

S: HHCD, Josh Jones (2nd year, struggled at safety last year though did OK as a nickel LB), UDFA depth like Kentrell Brice

Weird to see a net outflow of talent (at least pending the draft) from a unit that was the Achilles heel of their team last year. Depending on how King returns from injury, and if Tramon holds up at age 35, they may only have one average-or-better NFL starting DB, in Clinton-Dix. 

And all they added to the front 7 was Mo Wilkerson, while losing Ahmed Brooks. 

Pettine's going to have some work to do. 

Muhammad Wilkerson: "I’m my own man, and I know what I can do and what type of player I am capable of being, and I feel like I’m going to be able to get back to being the dominant player I can be. There is a lot more in this tank, and I know that. I’m ready for this change and the doubters, I’m ready to pretty much shut them up. And people will still talk of course, as people will, but it’s a motivation for me definitely.”

“I always had some ups and downs from the time I walked in One Jets Drive. So to come to Green Bay, it’s all about winning, and they’re always in the hunt, and that’s something that I definitely want to be a part of. It’s definitely something different for me. I don’t mean to knock any player or anybody, but I just don’t want to be one of those guys in Year 10, or even after that, I’m still trying to find a team that’s winning and playing in January and February. I want to win now and be a part of a winning culture now and I want to get to the Super Bowl now. That’s really why I chose Green Bay.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/13/muhammad-wilkerson-im-going-to-get-back-to-being-the-dominant-player-i-can-be/

The Packers made a big change on defense this year when they parted ways with defensive coordinator Dom Capers in favor of former Browns head coach Mike Pettine and the team’s players are getting their first taste of life under Pettine with the offseason program getting underway this week. Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix likes what he’s seen thus far. Clinton-Dix called Pettine’s system “likable and learnable” and cornerback Tramon Williams, who played for Pettine in Cleveland, described it as simple and aggressive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/19/ha-ha-clinton-dix-finds-new-packers-defense-likable-and-learnable/

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has become one of the owners of one of the teams that will be giving those huge contracts to mid-level pro basketball players. Specifically, Rodgers has become a minority owner of the Milwaukee Bucks.

Rodgers: “I have proudly called Wisconsin my home for the past 13 years, and I am thankful for the friendships and the opportunities I have been given to live and play here. I am excited and honored to deepen my connection to the region by joining Wes Edens, Marc Lasry, Jamie Dinan, Mike Fascitelli and the ownership group of the Milwaukee Bucks. As a huge fan of the NBA and the sport of basketball, this is a dream come true for me, and I look forward to furthering my affinity for Wisconsin sports as a minority owner in a team I love and support.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/20/aaron-rodgers-buys-stake-in-milwaukee-bucks/

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Packers are one of the teams “plotting” a trade that would move them up in the first round on Thursday night. The Packers currently have the No. 14 pick.

The Packers have not made a trade to move up the draft board in the first round since 2009 when they dealt a second-round pick and two third-round picks to the Patriots in exchange for the 26th overall selection. Green Bay selected linebacker Clay Matthews with that pick.

Gutekunst comes into the draft with 12 picks at his disposal, although only one pick in each of the first three rounds so there may be a limit to how high they can go without dipping into future drafts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/25/report-packers-plotting-move-up-from-no-14-in-first-round/

That defense does have a crying need for an elite player. Daniels and Clark are excellent but they have nothing special otherwise. 

I would've thought pick 14 is a good spot to catch one of the best DBs (Ward, Alexander, maybe James) or 3-4 OLBs (Landry) without having to trade up. Landry in particular seems like a great fit as a young-Clay style pure edge rusher. 

• Like 2

Longtime Packers reporter Bob McGinn reports that the Packers attempted to get Bryan Bulaga to take a pay cut, but Bulaga and his agents refused and no progress was made on any talks. Bulaga is set to count $7.9 million against the Packers’ salary cap this year, and he missed most of last season with an ankle injury and a torn ACL. So it’s no surprise that the Packers would love to lower that cap number.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/26/report-bryan-bulaga-refused-packers-request-to-take-a-pay-cut/