Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

10 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

And he could just retire and live of Danica and the money he made the rest of his life. 

Would be terribly shocking to see a player retire after suffering a couple injury’s entering a season where he turns 36 instead of signing the franchise tags.

That's not going to happen. He'll try to play until 40 even after all the injuries catch up to him.

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's not going to happen. He'll try to play until 40 even after all the injuries catch up to him.

I don't necessarily see that happening, but I also don't think he'd just retire because they franchised him.  The checks are still good regardless...Walter Jones did it for 3 straight years and got out of training camp for doing so.  Rodgers doesn't need training camp, he could just go to Barbados for training camp and come back before Game 4 of the preseason.  

As the Packers and quarterback Aaron Rodgers continue to be locked in a mildly awkward standoff over whether and when his contract will be extended, Rodgers recently made it clear that he intends to stay with the Packers beyond his 40th birthday.

Rodgers: “It’s sustained greatness I think is what drives me. It’s to be the best and to be able to choose when I’m done playing.  I think as you’ve seen here recently with Jordy but even you go back a few years to whether it’s Julius Peppers or A.J. Hawk or John Kuhn or Brett Favre, the fairy tale ending of starting a career and ending it with the same organization rarely happens. So that’s kind of my goal, is to be able to be indispensable to this organization into my 40s to where you’ve got to keep me around.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/20/aaron-rodgers-reiterates-plan-to-remain-with-packers-into-his-40s/

On 5/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, vike daddy said:

Rodgers: “It’s sustained greatness I think is what drives me. It’s to be the best and to be able to choose when I’m done playing.  I think as you’ve seen here recently with Jordy but even you go back a few years to whether it’s Julius Peppers or A.J. Hawk or John Kuhn or Brett Favre, the fairy tale ending of starting a career and ending it with the same organization rarely happens. So that’s kind of my goal, is to be able to be indispensable to this organization into my 40s to where you’ve got to keep me around.”

I'm confused.  Either I've taken too many shots today or Rodgers has taken a few too many shots to the head.  So is he saying it would have been a fairy tale ending for Brett Favre to play his entire career with the Atlanta Falcons?  Or John Kuhn to spend his entire career in Pittsburgh?  Going to Green Bay ruined their fairy tale careers?  I think Rodgers just wanted to equate Brett Favre's career in some way with John Kuhn's.  Getting in a shot at Brett.

And if you haven't been keeping up with current events, it's looks like Julius Peppers is actually ending his career with the team he started.  So I guess getting out of Green Bay was his fairy tale ending.

The Jody Nelson and AJ Hawk comparisons were good though for his point.  But even Peyton Manning, John Unitas, Joe Namath, and Joe Montana eventually became dispensable.  So watch your back Aaron and be willing to take a big home-town discount when you negotiate your next contract.

Why would he even mention AJ Hawk in the same breath as Jordy or Brett?  He's a footnote in GB history...like Bryce Paup and Johnny Holland.  I understand his point, but Hawk was stealing money from the "owners" for the last 6 years of his career.  

And Johnny Unitas started with the Steelers, so he's not a good example either.  :D

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

Lewis is a good run blocker, doesn’t do much as a receiver. Jags signed Niles Paul and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, then released Lewis, who’d been with them for something like 12 years (he’s 34). 

Packers WR3 position is wide open with Jordy Nelson gone. Main contenders will be Geronimo Allison and their 3 late round picks this year (most likely J’Mon Moore or Equanimeous St Brown). 

Wonder if they’ll try to use 2 WR, 2 TE sets as their base offense, effectively using Jimmy Graham as a 3rd WR. Vikings defense has had trouble with 2 TE offenses (Eagles game last year, for one obvious example), though at least last year Gedeon was less of a liability in base defense than Greenway was in 2016. Graham is nominally a TE but he’s such a terrible blocker that it doesn’t hurt to play nickel against him in a 2 TE set, counting him as a WR. 

Veteran offensive lineman Byron Bell is signing with the Packers, posting the news on Instagram.

Bell, 29, spent four seasons in Carolina, one in Tennessee, and last season, he was in Dallas. He has seen action in 90 games with 74 career starts. Bell mostly has played right tackle but also has experience at left tackle and left guard.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/29/byron-bell-agrees-to-terms-with-packers/

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is not attending the Packers’ organized team activities, per multiple reports. The Pro Bowl safety has offered no explanation for his absence, but it’s probably a good guess he wants a long-term extension. Clinton-Dix currently is scheduled to play 2018 under the fifth-year option of $5.96 million.

The Packers, though, appear unfazed by Clinton-Dix’s decision to skip the voluntary offseason program. Defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt was asked whether he was disappointed Clinton-Dix is not attending OTAs. “Not at all,” he said, via Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “It’s voluntary. So the guys that are here are the guys that we’re worried about.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/31/ha-ha-clinton-dix-skipping-packers-otas/

If Rodgers signs another five-year extension, that would put him under team control through 2024 when he's 41 years old. Such a long deal would surely lead to another game of leapfrog in which Rodgers sees worse quarterbacks get paid more. Garafolo reported Rodgers would like some sort of out clause in an extension that would allow the QB to control his ability to renegotiate a new deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935283/article/aaron-rodgers-eyeing-player-optout-in-next-contract?campaign=tw-nf-sf190830014-sf190830014&sf190830014=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral