Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Clark may not get Donald/Suh money a few years from now but he sure as heck isn't going to be cheap either. Most are expecting a big time ascending player there.

Thanks, but I know how good Kenny Clark is. He might already be the best player on the Packers defense, and he's still only 22. 

But Clark is a nose tackle and as such is not likely to get Donald/Suh money, or even Dareus/Short money. So he won't be getting top dollar, which is all I said. 

The point is that Clark's contract extension (which won't even start until 2021 assuming the Packers pick up his 5th year option), and the few other extensions GB will need to give out won't be any barrier to them signing Mack, if they trade for him. 

17 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Thanks, but I know how good Kenny Clark is. He might already be the best player on the Packers defense, and he's still only 22. 

But Clark is a nose tackle and as such is not likely to get Donald/Suh money, or even Dareus/Short money. So he won't be getting top dollar, which is all I said. 

The point is that Clark's contract extension (which won't even start until 2021 assuming the Packers pick up his 5th year option), and the few other extensions GB will need to give out won't be any barrier to them signing Mack, if they trade for him. 

Isn't that exactly what I stated? 

Never implied Clark would be a barrier to Mack, just that if he continues to improve I think his contract will substantial. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Isn't that exactly what I stated? 

Never implied Clark would be a barrier to Mack, just that if he continues to improve I think his contract will substantial. 

No it's exactly what I stated, which you replied to as if you were correcting me, or telling me something I don't know, though in fact you were agreeing with me without acknowledging that you were reinforcing my point. 

I never said Clark's extension wouldn't be substantial, just that he wouldn't command top dollar. At this point, I guess he'd be worth similar money to Linval Joseph ($12.5M AAV). 

I didn't say you implied Clark would be a barrier to signing Mack. I was replying to other posts above that were suggesting the Packers couldn't afford him or would have trouble retaining players if they did. That was my point in the original post you belatedly tried to nitpick, which is why I wrote "The point is..." and then paraphrased that point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

In GB interests, they should take the stance of letting AR play out more of his contract.
Renegotiating now, and trying to get close to top QB dollar is likely a disservice to GB right now.
Minny fan in me says AR should fight for huge money asap tho :)

I personally don't agree.  I think it's in GB's best interest to get the deal done now as it provides some cost certainty and savings for the remainder of his career.  Furthermore, they have the cap space to do it now and already set the precedent with A-Rodg when they tore up the last 2 years of his deal the last time in negotiating his current contract.  If they structure it right, they  can take on most of the hit next year when Clay comes off the books and then ease it up later when Kenny Clark comes up and Adams' contract increases.  

Good news for GB so far this preseason: Rodgers came back and looked his usual self, Graham reached up and plucked a 3rd down red zone TD about 8 feet up in the sky, Adams is roasting guys with his release, Kumerow (former UDFA practice squad claim WR) has been making plays, Josh Jackson looks great (had a pick 6 last night), and they may have found a 3rd OLB in Reggie Gilbert from last year’s practice squad.

Bad news so far: the rookie WRs have been hit and miss (MVS looks good, Moore not so much), the starting safeties (HHCD and Brice) can’t tackle, the backup tackles (Murphy, Spriggs) can’t pass protect, the young RBs aren’t healthy, and Mo Wilk looks like this:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Kumerow (former UDFA practice squad claim WR) has been making plays, 

Packers wide receiver Jake Kumerow‘s strong summer has been interrupted by a shoulder injury, although it’s not clear yet how long the interruption will be.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reported on Friday that Kumerow was getting tests on his shoulder after hurting it while diving into the end zone to cap an 82-yard touchdown against the Steelers on Thursday night. Demovsky reports that those tests showed Kumerow has a sprained SC joint. Demovsky adds that Kumerow is expected to heal “relatively quickly,” although it seems likely he’ll miss some time while waiting to get the green light to return.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/17/report-jake-kumerow-has-sprained-sc-joint-in-shoulder/

Rodgers:   "If you ask the team about the last deal that we did, and you ask me, both sides are happy. If we do another deal, that obviously is the goal. I don’t think they would want to nickel and dime me, and I’m not trying to screw them. This is a partnership. That’s the only way this is going to work, and the best way things work in this situation is we’re in this together. If they make that financial commitment, that’s what they’re saying. And also there’s an expectation I’m going to play well, and that’s my side of the bargain.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/20/aaron-rodgers-goal-for-next-contract-both-sides-are-happy/

On 8/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, Krauser said:

Good news for GB so far this preseason: Rodgers came back and looked his usual self, Graham reached up and plucked a 3rd down red zone TD about 8 feet up in the sky, Adams is roasting guys with his release, Kumerow (former UDFA practice squad claim WR) has been making plays, Josh Jackson looks great (had a pick 6 last night), and they may have found a 3rd OLB in Reggie Gilbert from last year’s practice squad.

Bad news so far: the rookie WRs have been hit and miss (MVS looks good, Moore not so much), the starting safeties (HHCD and Brice) can’t tackle, the backup tackles (Murphy, Spriggs) can’t pass protect, the young RBs aren’t healthy, and Mo Wilk looks like this:

Not sure which games/practices you’re watching? Some of your news is old too.

Most would hardly call how EQ and MVS have looked as anything near bad for rookies. If anything they have both been mostly encouraging. Moore has gotten open, has had trouble catching it. Kumerow has done nothing but impress considering expectations around him coming in.

Rodgers said they had one bad practice session and  has since praised all of them this week. 

The young RBs (Williams and Jones)are back at practice aside from Mays.

Spriggs hasn’t been bad. Not good either though. 

If if I were making a list of “the good” for rookies like you did with a few draft picks, Alexander and Burks have been mostly good in practice in preseason games. Same for Montravious Adams.

King has looked impressive before getting hurt but is now back.

Biegel and Fackrell not impressive

Edited by Arthur Penske

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Well, the post you’re replying to was written on Friday August 17, and time does pass. 

Most would hardly call how EQ and MVS have looked as anything near bad for rookies. If anything they have both been mostly encouraging. Moore has gotten open, has had trouble catching it. Kumerow has done nothing but impress considering expectations around him coming in.

Rodgers said they had one bad practice session and  has since praised all of them this week. 

I didn’t say MVS looked bad, I said he looked good. I also said Kumerow was making plays. I didn’t mention EQ. Moore having “trouble catching it” is the “miss” in “hit and miss”. Reading comprehension, Arthur.

Rodgers praising them all this week is nice, but the post was written last Friday, so I’m not actually remiss for failing to mention that.

Jones hasn’t played a snap in the preseason yet, because of injuries. He only returned to practice this week.

Williams got hurt the day before I wrote the post you were replying to, and only returned to practice this week.

Again, I wrote the post you replied to last week. Last week happened before this week.

Pro tip: most computers and devices have an electronic calendar that you can use to look up how many days have passed since something happened, if you’re having trouble doing the math in your head.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

Well, the post you’re replying to was written on Friday August 17, and time does pass. 

I didn’t say MVS looked bad, I said he looked good. I also said Kumerow was making plays. I didn’t mention EQ. Moore having “trouble catching it” is the “miss” in “hit and miss”. Reading comprehension, Arthur.

Rodgers praising them all this week is nice, but the post was written last Friday, so I’m not actually remiss for failing to mention that.

Jones hasn’t played a snap in the preseason yet, because of injuries. He only returned to practice this week.

Williams got hurt the day before I wrote the post you were replying to, and only returned to practice this week.

Again, I wrote the post you replied to last week. Last week happened before this week.

Pro tip: most computers and devices have an electronic calendar that you can use to look up how many days have passed since something happened, if you’re having trouble doing the math in your head.

Yes, my post was mentioning your earlier/outdated post. Which was why I literally stated in the first line in my post that I was highlighting that some your "news" was simply old a the time I replied and a few other things you said were not accurate according to most reports.

You listed the rookie WRs under the "bad" category and said they've been hit or miss. " The rookie WRs" is plural, so it would be referencing more than just J'mon Moore being "bad". Therefore, you did imply mentioning EQ by saying the rookie WRs. I was highlighting that you were overlooking EQ, which was accurate and who has looked good for the most part. Reading Comprehension, Krauser.

Jones not playing a preseason snap yet is fine, I was highlighting he had now returned to practice, which was relevant and was an update. 

Pro tip: Don't overlook the first line of a post before you start typing.

LOL, don’t try to pretend you didn’t misread my post. You tried to nitpick it as inaccurate and out of date (“not sure what practices you’re watching, some of your news is old too”), without mentioning that what you were calling “old news” was current at the time the post was written. You didn’t write to update and inform, but to whine — as usual — that the Packers weren’t being discussed in this thread in as unreservedly optimistic terms as you’d like.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Spriggs hasn’t been bad. Not good either though. 

If if I were making a list of “the good” for rookies like you did with a few draft picks, Alexander and Burks have been mostly good in practice in preseason games. Same for Montravious Adams.

King has looked impressive before getting hurt but is now back.

Biegel and Fackrell not impressive

Wasn't it your quarterback himself who was complaining about the play of the young WR's just recently?  I would think that it would take more than one bad practice for the quarterback to take something like that public.  Usually, it makes more sense to keep something like that in-house rather than creating a story in the press.  It doesn't seem like the best thing to do to build team chemistry if it is just a minor issue of having one bad practice.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 8/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, Krauser said:

This post pretty much sums up what I've been expecting from the Packers this season.  They undoubtedly did the right thing when they put Ted Thompson out to pasture.  He was exposed last season.  The new GM had an excellent draft, and even if Wilkerson is a disappointment, it has to be a relief for Packer fans to finally have someone in charge who is willing to make some aggressive moves in the offseason.  The new GM made some nice moves in the draft too, getting some good young rookies and adding an extra first-round pick for next year to boot.  If he is somehow able to swing a deal with Oakland for Khalil Mack, it will be a real coup that could drastically change their future on the defensive side of the ball.

At the same time, I agree with you, Krauser, on the opinion that they are far from a complete team.  There are a lot of people saying that since Rodgers is back this year the Packers are instant competitors for a deep playoff run.  We even have one poster on this site who thinks they will have the best record of any team in the league this season.  While things ARE going in a very good direction, I'm in the group who thinks that they still have some work to do before they will be on the same level as the best teams in the NFC.  In a year or two, sure.  Just not this year, IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wasn't it your quarterback himself who was complaining about the play of the young WR's just recently?  I would think that it would take more than one bad practice for the quarterback to take something like that public.  Usually, it makes more sense to keep something like that in-house rather than creating a story in the press.  It doesn't seem like the best thing to do to build team chemistry if it is just a minor issue of having one bad practice.

It wasn't even one practice. It was one "card session" of one practice.

Here he was talking about more recently saying he's happy with where they and the offense are the : https://www.packers.com/video/rodgers-likes-where-he-offense-are-at 

Not that it means any of the young WRs will be successful. Just the facts on what Rodgers days