Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 8/28/2018 at 7:25 AM, wcblack34 said:

Don't argue. Every Packer acquisition is a hall of famer. 

I guess every team needs its own version of Paul Allen.

I'm not sure this is exactly constructive criticism.  Every fanbase overrates their own acquisitions.  Acting like it's exclusive to only one fanbase is an insane take.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Adding that to the current two years of contract the team has Rodgers under contract now for 6 years at only $29.3M per year average. That is a bargain for them. Rodgers must be satisfied just in knowing that he is no longer the third highest paid QB in his division.  He must know his true value is quite a bit higher.

Edited by Cearbhall

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Sounds like what the Vikings had a habit of doing with the WRs in the past...throw crap up against the wall and see what sticks.  

Their WRs aren't that bad. Adams is a very high quality receiver. Cobb has declined and he's overpaid but he's an NFL calibre receiver. They have multiple options for the 3rd spot: Allison (replacement level WR who'd ideally be 4th or 5th on the depth chart), Kumerow (may be a diamond in the rough based on his play this preseason, though he's bounced through a couple of practice squads), and the three rookies -- Moore, Valdes-Scantling and St Brown -- who all have some talent and athleticism. 

It is fair to say that they need Adams to stay healthy since there's no sure difference maker beyond him. And for all of Rodgers' gifts, he's struggled when the receiving corps has struggled (especially in 2015, when Nelson was on IR and Adams was terrible). I don't think they're in great shape unless one of the rookies hits this year, or if Kumerow can carry his preseason form into the regular season. Otherwise, I think defenses will key on Adams and take their chances with Graham, Cobb and Allison. 

Well deserved -- Rodgers will be highest paid player in the league and still a bargain at that price. 

Rodgers had ~$42M remaining on his deal, roughly $21M each for 2018 and 2019. A 4 year extension will run from 2020-23. 

$180M total would be $138M of additional money, which is $34.5M per year over 4 years. Looks like he gets a ~$45M signing bonus up front (to make $67M for this year including the 2018 salary), and a roster bonus of ~$15M on the first day of the league year in 2019 (bringing the total guarantees above $80M by that point) and the 2018 and 2019 salaries guaranteed ($60M+ new guaranteed money plus the remaining years of his existing deal would equal ~$103M "practically guaranteed" by 2019). 

$60M of the $138M paid up front leaves $78M in salaries over the 4 years, so maybe $19M per year. Cap hits will increase by $9M per year in 2018-22 for a $45M signing bonus (so 2018 cap hit will be ~$30M instead of ~$21M) plus the roster bonus in 2019 (so a one year massive cap hit of $45M, if I'm doing the math right), followed by $28M cap hits ($19M + $9M in prorated SB) in 2020-22, and then the last $19M in 2023. 

Rodgers turns 35 this December, will be 37 in 2020 (1st year of the extension itself) and 40 in the last year of the deal in 2023. If he declines before then, Packers would have $18 of signing bonus proration as a dead cap hit in 2021, $9M in 2022 and zero in 2023 (effectively a team option that year at that bargain price of $19M). 

If Rodgers stays healthy and plays well into his late 30s, this sets them up for a bargain cap hit at the QB position from 2020-22 ($28M for a better QB than Stafford, Cousins, Ryan and other comparably paid QBs) and an absolute steal in 2023.  

Rodgers is worththe money, and i’m sure it’ll be a bargain in the end. I still wonder how much he will be getting paid will affect the rest of the roster for years to come. For QB’s his age, with his talent, and with the amount of money he’s already made, I just think it’d be smart to go the Brady route and take a much more team friendly deal to give the team more options to bring in surrounding talent. I guess it’s just personal priorities, championships or money.

4 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Rodgers is worththe money, and i’m sure it’ll be a bargain in the end. I still wonder how much he will be getting paid will affect the rest of the roster for years to come. For QB’s his age, with his talent, and with the amount of money he’s already made, I just think it’d be smart to go the Brady route and take a much more team friendly deal to give the team more options to bring in surrounding talent. I guess it’s just personal priorities, championships or money.

Take the money. I am an advocate of players getting all they can. I mean we just signed the greatest money getter not named Darelle Revis in Kirk Cousins. It is nice when a player takes less to benefit his team, but I will never fault a player for chasing the money.

• Like 2

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Packers are signing veteran linebacker Korey Toomer. Toomer was cut by the 49ers this weekend, after spending the previous two seasons with the Chargers. He gives them some depth at inside linebacker, as Oren Burks is expected to miss some time with a shoulder injury.

They’re also putting wide receiver Jake Kumerow on injured reserve. By keeping him on the roster this long, they’re able to bring him back after eight weeks. Kumerow injured his shoulder in the second preseason game, after a promising start to camp.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/03/packers-add-korey-toomer-put-jake-kumerow-on-ir/