Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Kumerow was arguably the 2nd best Packers receiver in camp and preseason (after Adams). Rodgers obviously loved him. 

The injury is really unfortunate -- he reportedly hurt his shoulder doing a forward roll to celebrate a long catch-and-run TD:

The shoulder injury from mid-August was initially reported as "not considered serious". Now it will cost him at least half the regular season. Bad luck, but also completely unnecessary. 

Kumerow's already 26, turns 27 in February, and has never caught a pass in an NFL regular season game. If he's going to be a Thielen-style late bloomer this should've been his year -- his only competition for WR targets beyond Adams is Cobb, who hasn't had a big year since 2014, Geronimo Allison (not a bad possession receiver but limited upside) and a trio of day 3 rookies who were clearly worse than Kumerow at this early stage in their careers this preseason. 

20 hours ago, Krauser said:

Kumerow was arguably the 2nd best Packers receiver in camp and preseason (after Adams). Rodgers obviously loved him. 

The injury is really unfortunate -- he reportedly hurt his shoulder doing a forward roll to celebrate a long catch-and-run TD:

The shoulder injury from mid-August was initially reported as "not considered serious". Now it will cost him at least half the regular season. Bad luck, but also completely unnecessary. 

Kumerow's already 26, turns 27 in February, and has never caught a pass in an NFL regular season game. If he's going to be a Thielen-style late bloomer this should've been his year -- his only competition for WR targets beyond Adams is Cobb, who hasn't had a big year since 2014, Geronimo Allison (not a bad possession receiver but limited upside) and a trio of day 3 rookies who were clearly worse than Kumerow at this early stage in their careers this preseason. 

You really think his injury went from not serious to IR serious? I think this is more of a situation where GB wanted to keep Kumerow going forward but not wanting to get rid of any of the Rookies or Davis for his return ability. They kept him by stashing him on IR.

Rodgers did love Kumerow but he was firmly behind Cobb and Allison.

Edited by Arthur Penske

38 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You really think his injury went from not serious to IR serious? I think this is more of a situation where GB wanted to keep Kumerow going forward but not wanting to get rid of any of the Rookies or Davis for his return ability. They kept him by stashing him on IR.

I don't mean the injury got any worse 2 weeks after it happened, but even as a pretext it's going to cost him half or more of his 26 year old season. He won't get game experience (Kumerow's career targets: 0) and won't be able to practice with the team.

Rodgers did love Kumerow but he was firmly behind Cobb and Allison.

I didn't say Kumerow was 2nd on the depth chart but that he was their 2nd best WR during preseason.

He could well have worked his way into the Packers top 3 WRs this year, or at least played rotationally as the WR4 ahead of the rookies, who he clearly outplayed this preseason. Losing out on that opportunity is unfortunate for his career, doubly so since the injury was self-inflicted in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I didn't say Kumerow was 2nd on the depth chart but that he was their 2nd best WR during preseason.

He could well have worked his way into the Packers top 3 WRs this year, or at least played rotationally as the WR4 ahead of the rookies, who he clearly outplayed this preseason. Losing out on that opportunity is unfortunate for his career, doubly so since the injury was self-inflicted in the first place. 

I realize that. I'm telling you Kumerow may have had better preseasons stats but it's clear he's not the 2nd best WR on team despite him playing more than Cobb or Allison. 

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I realize that. I'm telling you Kumerow may have had better preseasons stats but it's clear he's not the 2nd best WR on team despite him playing more than Cobb or Allison. 

I didn't say he was the 2nd best WR on the team. I said he was arguably their 2nd best WR during the preseason. Don't reply as if you're correcting me when you're not really disagreeing with the point I actually made. 

Even if Kumerow isn't better than Cobb or Allison, he might've been the 4th best WR on the team this year. He's a better route runner with more reliable hands than any of the 3 rookies at this stage in their careers, and he was able to get on the same page as Rodgers.

The WR4 will get some snaps and targets even if everyone stays healthy, and GB may need a fill-in starter if one of the top 3 WRs misses time. I think the Packers would've been better off with Kumerow in that role than anyone else on the roster heading into the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both defensive players of the week in week 1 were drafted one spot after the Packers pick: 

NFC: Harrison Smith, drafted 29th in 2012, just after Nick Perry

AFC: TJ Watt, drafted 30th in 2017, just after the pick GB traded down from (CLE took TE David Njoku 29th), eventually selecting Kevin King in the early 2nd round at #33

• Like 2

On the night Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers returned from a knee injury to lead an historic comeback against the Bears, Rodgers said that doctors told him that his condition couldn’t have gotten any worse. Rodgers now concedes that, as he continues to play on the injured leg, it could.

“Yeah, obviously that’s a concern,” Rodgers said Wednesday, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “Hopefully it goes the other way though.”

Rodgers reportedly has a deep bone bruise and a damaged ligament in his knee. He’s wearing a large brace carrying the name “Blue Steel,” and he apparently intends to play as long as he can.

He told reporters on Wednesday that “obviously it won’t be 100 percent, so I’ll just adjust accordingly to how I’m feeling and try to get through.” The Packers didn’t practice on Wednesday, but according to the official injury report he wouldn’t have practiced if they had.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/19/aaron-rodgers-has-concern-his-knee-will-get-worse/

@Krauser

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Rodgers reportedly has a deep bone bruise and a damaged ligament in his knee. He’s wearing a large brace carrying the name “Blue Steel,” and he apparently intends to play as long as he can.

He told reporters on Wednesday that “obviously it won’t be 100 percent, so I’ll just adjust accordingly to how I’m feeling and try to get through.” 

I thought Rodgers was moving pretty well during the Vikings game. I'm sure the knee is painful but he wasn't really limping or favoring it much. The brace would help with instability if he has a MCL injury, limiting the knee's tendency to give way, but wouldn't lessen the pain from weight bearing (loading the knee vertically). So for him to move as well as he did throughout the game makes me think the bone bruise isn't that bad, and obviously however bad the MCL sprain is, the brace is enough for him to deal with it. 

I made some gifs of Rodgers' footwork: 

D943GB.gif

nrKwL4.gif

7L4Pjw.gif

For all the talk from the Packers side that Rodgers was at 70%, or fans saying he was "playing on one leg", it's hard to see any significant limitation in his movements there, right through to the end of the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

I am a little more cynical than is generally healthy for a man my age...but what if Rodgers "injury" is total BS? Maybe he's using it in his effort to be considered as tough as Favre by Green Bay fans, or to make a pass rusher slow a fraction thinking he doesn't want to be the one who ends Rodgers career! 

Edited by Guest

55 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am a little more cynical than is generally healthy for a man my age...but what if Rodgers "injury" is total BS? Maybe he's using it in his effort to be considered as tough as Favre by Green Bay fans, or to make a pass rusher slow a fraction thinking he doesn't want to be the one who ends Rodgers career! 

stock up on tin foil too....

It was pretty obvious that Rodgers injured his knee in the Bears game.

The mechanism of injury was typical of an MCL sprain. He's been able to play well wearing a brace that supports the knee against giving way when the MCL is damaged. 

There was a later report that he also has a bone bruise. It's very possible that he suffered a bone bruise at the same time as the MCL sprain. Bone bruises are painful and can lead to long-term degenerative problems but they don't necessarily affect the use of the knee much as long as the pain is manageable. 

I'm sure Rodgers has a bad knee. I don't think it's actually limiting him much right now, wearing a brace and no doubt taking some painkillers. I think his performance in the Vikings game was much closer to 100% than 70% or "on one leg". It's hard to think of a throw he missed or a play he left on the field. 

There is a reasonable concern about the long-term effects on his knee in terms of recurring pain and swelling, chronic cartilage damage and arthritis. I don't think his knee injury was ever that bad (compared to say, Sam Bradford) so I don't think he's at great risk of permanent problems given that he continues to play on it. 

As far as this season is concerned, I think his knee is working well enough that the Packers are still getting the benefit of a QB who's the best in the league at the top of his game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

stock up on tin foil too....

I only use non-stick Reynolds wrap!!!  That way, the alien radio signals slide right off!!!!  BTW, did you know that listening to Joe Buck is the primary way aliens control our thoughts??  Helpful hint to you all.  As you were.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Is there a ZaPacker tape?  

Wouldn't that be great??  Seriously, I was mostly kidding about Rodgers "faking" or exaggerating his injury.  I just really hate that his "legend' is growing!  I usually appreciate brave and/or extraordinary performances...except when they are done by Packers or Cowboys.