Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

3 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Wouldn't that be great??  Seriously, I was mostly kidding about Rodgers "faking" or exaggerating his injury.  I just really hate that his "legend' is growing!  I usually appreciate brave and/or extraordinary performances...except when they are done by Packers or Cowboys.

I do still think he holds a grudge against the perception of Favre vs. his own.  He really shouldn't worry about it, but that's probably part of what still motivates him, regardless of what he says or not.  

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

It was pretty obvious that Rodgers injured his knee in the Bears game.

The mechanism of injury was typical of an MCL sprain. He's been able to play well wearing a brace that supports the knee against giving way when the MCL is damaged. 

There was a later report that he also has a bone bruise. It's very possible that he suffered a bone bruise at the same time as the MCL sprain. Bone bruises are painful and can lead to long-term degenerative problems but they don't necessarily affect the use of the knee much as long as the pain is manageable. 

I'm sure Rodgers has a bad knee. I don't think it's actually limiting him much right now, wearing a brace and no doubt taking some painkillers. I think his performance in the Vikings game was much closer to 100% than 70% or "on one leg". It's hard to think of a throw he missed or a play he left on the field. 

There is a reasonable concern about the long-term effects on his knee in terms of recurring pain and swelling, chronic cartilage damage and arthritis. I don't think his knee injury was ever that bad (compared to say, Sam Bradford) so I don't think he's at great risk of permanent problems given that he continues to play on it. 

As far as this season is concerned, I think his knee is working well enough that the Packers are still getting the benefit of a QB who's the best in the league at the top of his game. 

I think a lot of the reason you don't see too much of a difference there as opposed to someone like Bradford is that Rodgers has never really set his his feet when he throws anyways.  If he wasn't already used to playing like that he'd probably be screwed right now.

1 hour ago, Stevein2012 said:

I think a lot of the reason you don't see too much of a difference there as opposed to someone like Bradford is that Rodgers has never really set his his feet when he throws anyways.  If he wasn't already used to playing like that he'd probably be screwed right now.

I'm not so sure -- his footwork is conventional in the first gif I posted on the last page (the 3rd and 16) and it looks like he did that easily enough. 

Here's a throw where he spins and puts all his weight onto the left leg as he delivers. 

2vVKjJ.gif

Short throw but perfectly accurate and the throwing motion looks natural. Doesn't look like he's favoring the knee at all. 

Again, not saying his knee isn't injured, or that it's not painful, but that it doesn't actually seem to be limiting his performance significantly.

He was 30/42 but with 4 throwaways and a couple of drops (Adams). That's excellent accuracy, more like 32/38.

Several of his non-dropped incompletions were perfectly accurate too -- hit Graham in the hands (Gedeon uncalled DPI), Adams in the hands (Kendricks PBU), and Adams again in the hands (Rhodes forced him to the sideline in the end zone and may have tipped it). 

PFF graded him at 88.5 as a passer -- which would've been his best single game grade in 2017, 5th best in 2016, 3rd best in 2015 and 4th best in 2014. 

He was effective moving in the pocket too, scrambled for a first down and had another positive play (beating Barr to the sideline). He moved really well in the pocket, avoiding pressure. He didn't have many more quick passes than usual, had a similar percentage of dropbacks under 2.5 seconds as Cousins did in that game. 

Consensus should be that Rodgers played great on Sunday even by his standards. No need to give additional credit to the Packers offense as if the knee stopped him from playing even better than that. 

Aaron Rodgers: “What do you say to Clay? His head is out of it. His hand is on the ground. That’s not roughing the passer. Same thing with Kendricks. What do you say to him on that? I didn’t get up off the ground thinking, ‘Where’s the penalty?’ I saw a late flag and couldn’t believe there was a penalty on the play. I’m a traditionalist. I’ve watched the game and loved the game for a long time. And some of the rules help, but some of the rules, maybe are going in the wrong direction. They’re trying to think about the progress of the game and the safety and stuff. But it’s still a collision sport, and those to me are not penalties.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/20/aaron-rodgers-thinks-refs-are-too-quick-to-throw-flags-for-roughing-the-passer/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Aaron Rodgers: “What do you say to Clay? His head is out of it. His hand is on the ground. That’s not roughing the passer. Same thing with Kendricks. What do you say to him on that? I didn’t get up off the ground thinking, ‘Where’s the penalty?’ I saw a late flag and couldn’t believe there was a penalty on the play. I’m a traditionalist. I’ve watched the game and loved the game for a long time. And some of the rules help, but some of the rules, maybe are going in the wrong direction. They’re trying to think about the progress of the game and the safety and stuff. But it’s still a collision sport, and those to me are not penalties.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/20/aaron-rodgers-thinks-refs-are-too-quick-to-throw-flags-for-roughing-the-passer/

I can't believe i'm agreeing with Viking fans but both those penalties were god awful. I thought the new lowering the head penalty would make watching miserable I didn't think they would enforce this rule like they are. Its a joke. 

• Like 1

The Packers will place cornerback Davon House on injured reserve, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports. House needs surgery on the shoulder that has bothered him all season, according to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

House, 29, played all three games this season. He played 29 defensive snaps and 50 on special teams, making two tackles.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/25/davon-house-needs-shoulder-surgery-headed-to-ir/

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Packers will place cornerback Davon House on injured reserve, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports. House needs surgery on the shoulder that has bothered him all season, according to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

House, 29, played all three games this season. He played 29 defensive snaps and 50 on special teams, making two tackles.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/25/davon-house-needs-shoulder-surgery-headed-to-ir/

A blessing in disguise?  House was one of their biggest weaknesses on defense.

Packers upgrade by signing free agent CB Bashaud Breeland. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, since72 said:

A blessing in disguise?  House was one of their biggest weaknesses on defense.

Packers upgrade by signing free agent CB Bashaud Breeland. 

House was playing injured from the sound of it and wasn't even really playing defense ( mostly on ST) until King got hurt. If Breeland is healthy enough to play to his previous standards should be a definite upgrade over House, especially an injured House.

• 2 weeks later...

The Packers will be without wide receiver Randall Cobb again on Sunday against the Lions. Cobb has already been ruled out with a hamstring injury, coach Mike McCarthy said today. It will be the second consecutive game Cobb has missed, after missing last week’s win over the Bills.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/05/randall-cobb-to-miss-another-game/