Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 11/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, vike daddy said:

Green Bay announced on Saturday the acquisition of P Drew Kaser, a 2016 sixth-round pick of the Chargers, L.A.’s “B” team cut Kaser on October 3. Here’s where it gets odd: Packers punter JK Scott is, by all appearances, fine. He’s not listed on the injury report, and there’s no reason to think he won’t be able to play on Sunday night in New England. The Packers drafted Scott out of Alabama this year, using a fifth-round pick.

Presumably, one of the two punters will be inactive on Sunday night. Unless the Packers have cooked up some sort of two-punter formation.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/03/packers-add-a-punter-for-no-apparent-reason/

Have them both stand back there and have the other team guessing on who they're going to snap it to.  

29 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Would really suck to see DeFilippo end up as the next head coach in Green Bay if they end up letting McCarthy go.

It ain't gonna happen, because if he continues to have the issues he's having with some of his playcalls, he ain't gonna be considered for any HC positions this offseason.  They may end up just looking for a new QB coach.  

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Has he really been that impressive this year? 

No. He hasn't been super impressive. He has done fine but nothing special.

More than losing DeFilippo, I am concerned about the possibility of the Packers firing McCarthy and hiring a good coach. That would stink. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers does well enough this year that they keep McCarthy (just not against the Vikings) 

36 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

No. He hasn't been super impressive. He has done fine but nothing special.

More than losing DeFilippo, I am concerned about the possibility of the Packers firing McCarthy and hiring a good coach. That would stink. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers does well enough this year that they keep McCarthy (just not against the Vikings) 

What good coaches can possibly be available?  They'd be looking for their own Sean McVay, but there ain't anyone out there like that. 

Just now, swede700 said:

What good coaches can possibly be available?  They'd be looking for their own Sean McVay, but there ain't anyone out there like that. 

Don't you know every head coach is Sean McVay? 

Chip Kelly
Josh McDaniels
Hue Jackson
Jack Del Rio
John Fox
Leslie Frazier
Ben McAdoo
Adam Gase

Those coaches don't exist. 

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't you know every head coach is Sean McVay? 

Chip Kelly
Josh McDaniels
Hue Jackson
Jack Del Rio
John Fox
Leslie Frazier
Ben McAdoo
Adam Gase

Those coaches don't exist. 

All teams that fire their head coaches have to believe that they are going to get a coach that's better than what they got...otherwise, there's no point in making a move.  So, you sort of make my point in that I don't see why the Packers would consider firing McCarthy now because there ain't anyone out there better than he is.  Firing him would just be making a move to make a move.  If they were going to make a move, they should have done it a year ago when there were more guys available ,  Right now, the best candidate is probably Jim Schwartz...and he isn't better than McCarthy...he proved that in Detroit.  

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

All teams that fire their head coaches have to believe that they are going to get a coach that's better than what they got...otherwise, there's no point in making a move.  So, you sort of make my point in that I don't see why the Packers would consider firing McCarthy now because there ain't anyone out there better than he is.  Firing him would just be making a move to make a move.  If they were going to make a move, they should have done it a year ago when there were more guys available ,  Right now, the best candidate is probably Jim Schwartz...and he isn't better than McCarthy...he proved that in Detroit.  

The Packers have a new GM, he very well could want to make a move to get his own HC.

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

@Outpost31feels McCarthy is not the problem...

Oh, he certainly has a hand in it, but I still think he's not THE problem.  It's the same I felt about Capers/Thompson.

Good DC without the talent he needs versus goood GM who doesn't get Capers the talent he needs.  They didn't mesh.

In the same way, McCarthy and Rodgers don't mesh.

Rodgers is just as to blame as McCarthy is.  Rodgers hasn't been the Rodgers everybody thinks he is since 2014.  2015 really kinda ruined Rodgers.  

Edited by Outpost31

On 2018-10-15 at 11:27 PM, Krauser said:

Since 2017, the Packers are 3-9 in games decided by 8 points or more, 7-2-1 in games decided by 7 points or less. With Rodgers starting, their record is 3-4 in games decided by 8 points or more, 4-1-1 in games decided by 7 points or less.

The last 3 Packers wins by 8 points or more:

• 22-0 vs BUF (Allen), 30 Sept 2018
  • 35-14 vs CHI (Glennon), 28 Sept 2017
  • 17-9 vs SEA (Wilson), 10 Sept 2017

Now 3-10 in games decided by more than a TD since 2017: 3-5 with Rodgers starting, including 1-3 this year. 

The close loss to the Rams drops them to a still-lucky 4-2-1 in close games over that span. 

2018 Packers games: maximal leads/deficits and final results, with 14+ point deficits and leads bolded: 

• @ NE: trailed 17-10 at half, tied 17-17 end of 3Q, lost 31-17
  • @ LARM: led 10-8 at half, led 27-26 in 4Q, lost 29-27
  • SF: trailed 24-20 at half, trailed 30-23 late 4Q, won 33-30
  • @ DET: trailed 24-0 at half, 31-14 early 4Q, lost 31-23
  • BUF: led 16-0 at half, won 22-0
  • @ WAS: trailed 28-10 at half, lost 31-17
  • MIN: led 17-7 at half, led 20-7 end 3Q, tied 29-29
  • CHI: trailed 20-3 at half, 23-17 late 4Q, won 24-23

Same process for Rodgers games in 2017: 

• @ CAR: led 14-10 at half, trailed 31-17 early 4Q, lost 31-24
  • @ DAL: trailed 21-12 at half, 5 lead changes in 4Q, won 35-31
  • CHI: led 21-7 at half, 35-7 early 4Q, won 35-14
  • CIN: trailed 21-7 at half, 24-17 late 4Q, won 27-24
  • @ ATL: trailed 24-7 at half, 34-10 end 3Q, lost 34-23
  • SEA: led 14-6 at half, won 17-9

In the last 14 games Rodgers has started and finished, the Packers have only had a 14+ point lead twice -- against the Bears with Glennon at QB in 2017 and the Bills with Josh Allen this year. They've trailed by 14+ points in 7 of those 14 games. 

With Hundley last year, they trailed by 14+ points 5 times, and never led by that much

By comparison, the Vikings in that span have trailed by 14+ points twice this year (Saints, Bills) and only once in the regular season last year (Steelers), plus the Eagles in the NFCCG. They have led by that much in 5 of their 5 wins this year, plus 10 of their 13 regular season wins last year (all except the Falcons, GB at home, and @ CHI), plus the playoff win over the Saints.

So, 14+ point leads/deficits, 2017-18

• Vikings: 15 leads (16 including playoffs), 3 deficits (4 including playoffs)
  • Packers: 2 leads, 12 deficits
  • Packers with Rodgers: 2 leads, 7 deficits

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers is just as to blame as McCarthy is.  Rodgers hasn't been the Rodgers everybody thinks he is since 2014.  2015 really kinda ruined Rodgers.  

I am a Vikings fan in support of the Packers keeping McCarthy and moving on from Rodgers. Since that isn't realistic I'll be happy enough if they just keep McCarthy. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. It is true that if they replaced McCarthy the replacement could be worse than McCarthy. The Packers should definitely keep that in mind when making their decision. I support all of our rivals making decisions based on fear rather than bold decisions that give them their best chance of improving.

I'm still sad that the Lions let Matt Millen go. I was a huge supporter of the Lions continuing to employ Millen -- even moreso than I am a supporter of the Packers continuing to employ McCarthy.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1