Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

Imagine Rodgers on the Rams with McVay’s system — he’d put up 60 passing TDs a year.

If Rodgers was coached by McVay, and respected McVay, I have no doubt he would put up amazing numbers. Rodgers doesn't respect his current coach though so it seems possible that he wouldn't respect McVay too.

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

I’m afraid your take that he’s washed up is wishful thinking.

Yeah, I am a little afraid of that too. I mean, I don't think he is physically washed up at all. He is tired mentally. He appears to be sick of playing for Green Bay -- or at least their current leadership. He does not seem to buy into what that leadership is trying to do. It is way easier to replace a coach than a QB like that. However, I am not convinced it doesn't run deeper than the coach. He wasn't happy to see Nelson go. I don't know that he cares for how they are building the team -- the organizations vision of how it wants to do that. He gutted it out through the Ted Thompson years with Ted refusing to invest in the team to build it up around an elite QB. The new guy may be more willing to invest in the team in ways other than the draft and non-compensatory free agents but Rodgers distaste may linger from prior years. I bet a change in scenery to a place he picks that convinces him that they really want him and want to build up a team in a vision that Rodgers agrees with would go a long way towards reviving his career.

I would be happy to see him go to the Rams and show us with coach McVay what he could do with an organization that he believes in.

On the other hand, I'll be sad when McCarthy leaves Green Bay. Very, very sad.

Edited by Cearbhall

Mike Daniels and Jimmy Graham will both miss the Vikings game:

Very tough for the Packers to replace them.

They don’t have another receiving TE, though maybe Tonyan can get used in that role after his debut 56 yard TD last week. Zimmer should be able to devote a safety to bracketing Adams, and red zone defense will be simpler without having to account for Graham as a target for fade routes from an X iso alignment.. 

The DL will be Clark, Lowry and probably Montravius Adams, and I’m not sure who’ll be able to play rotationally. Should be good news for the OL, especially Compton and Remmers, who won’t have to pass block Daniels. If Elflein can handle Clark, they should have success running the ball. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

If Rodgers was coached by McVay, and respected McVay, I have no doubt he would put up amazing numbers. Rodgers doesn't respect his current coach though so it seems possible that he wouldn't respect McVay too.

Yeah, I am a little afraid of that too. I mean, I don't think he is physically washed up at all. He is tired mentally. He appears to be sick of playing for Green Bay -- or at least their current leadership. He does not seem to buy into what that leadership is trying to do. It is way easier to replace a coach than a QB like that. However, I am not convinced it doesn't run deeper than the coach. He wasn't happy to see Nelson go. I don't know that he cares for how they are building the team -- the organizations vision of how it wants to do that. He gutted it out through the Ted Thompson years with Ted refusing to invest in the team to build it up around an elite QB. The new guy may be more willing to invest in the team in ways other than the draft and non-compensatory free agents but Rodgers distaste may linger from prior years. I bet a change in scenery to a place he picks that convinces him that they really want him and want to build up a team in a vision that Rodgers agrees with would go a long way towards reviving his career.

I would be happy to see him go to the Rams and show us with coach McVay what he could do with an organization that he believes in.

On the other hand, I'll be sad when McCarthy leaves Green Bay. Very, very sad.

Most of Rodgers frustration is with being dependent on the low round rookie WR's and their limitations and mistakes.

He has said he literally needs to get them lined up appropriately, and they still make mistakes on the routes. They look to have a good future ahead of them, but the future is not now.

His new contract prevents any moves for several years.  He wouldn't have signed it if he wanted to move.  Only time will tell as to whether the new coach combined with the new GM can reverse the slide of the last few years.  I suspect that they will if Rodgers can get healthy again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Most of Rodgers frustration is with being dependent on the low round rookie WR's and their limitations and mistakes.

He has said he literally needs to get them lined up appropriately, and they still make mistakes on the routes. They look to have a good future ahead of them, but the future is not now.

His new contract prevents any moves for several years.  He wouldn't have signed it if he wanted to move.  Only time will tell as to whether the new coach combined with the new GM can reverse the slide of the last few years.  I suspect that they will if Rodgers can get healthy again.

The Packers will have plenty of money to throw around in 2019. I think they'll have around $45 million and they showed a willingness to spend in free agency with TT stepping down. GB needs to add a veteran WR to pair with Adams and Graham and they've got the cap space to make a move. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, Krauser said:

Should be good news for the OL, especially Compton and Remmers, who won’t have to pass block Daniels. If Elflein can handle Clark, they should have success running the ball. 

I'm not sure Compton and Remmers could pass block my granny or Vike Daddy's grandma!!

With social media's influence growing with each day and also due to recency bias, I have seen so many stupid hottakes from Packers fans/bloggers relating Rodgers over last 3-4 days. He is still the best QB I have seen play. I really hate how majority of the fans in general evaluate a QB's performances directly based on a team's win loss record. Yeah, a team's win-loss record is a statistic you need to consider but that shouldn't be the only factor to evaluate a QBs performance.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, Krauser said:

Mike Daniels and Jimmy Graham will both miss the Vikings game:

Very tough for the Packers to replace them.

They don’t have another receiving TE, though maybe Tonyan can get used in that role after his debut 56 yard TD last week. Zimmer should be able to devote a safety to bracketing Adams, and red zone defense will be simpler without having to account for Graham as a target for fade routes from an X iso alignment.. 

The DL will be Clark, Lowry and probably Montravius Adams, and I’m not sure who’ll be able to play rotationally. Should be good news for the OL, especially Compton and Remmers, who won’t have to pass block Daniels. If Elflein can handle Clark, they should have success running the ball. 

Apparently, graham is going to try and play through it. We'll see how that goes. Daniels is out though.

https://www.packers.com/news/jimmy-graham-to-attempt-to-play-with-injured-thumb

On 11/17/2018 at 1:47 PM, Krauser said:

The problem with Rodgers is his unwillingness and/or inability to work within the structure of the offense and play design: he wants to run around and chuck 60 yard rainbows instead of taking what the defense gives him and keeping the offense on schedule. He wants to be the hero, he’s looking for a magic moment where he can show off and his genius will be appreciated. He avoids simple checkdowns, doesn’t like to throw into tight windows early in the play, and is always looking to extend the play by leaving the pocket in order to scramble or throw on the run.

This is not the typical problem of physical skills declining with age, he’s just seemingly lost interest in doing the basic stuff, over and over. 

Yes and no.  We're also seeing a SIGNIFICANT amount of play calling on 3rd and short where the WR routes are 10+ yards down the field.  There's little to no high completion rate with regards to getting that first down.  Both McCarthy and Rodgers are to blame.