Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

51 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I can't see McCarthy surviving this year......nor can one of my good friends that lives in GB. 

That's too bad. I guess all good things have to come to an end.

At least they kept him for most of Rodgers' career.

It will be a lot harder to win the division of Green Bay gets good coaching. Hopefully they pick a lemon and stick with the selection for a decade. I read something in another thread here that makes me think the Gophers defensive coordinator would be a guy that I could support for the imminent Green Bay opening.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It will be a lot harder to win the division of Green Bay gets good coaching. 

I'm not sure that's the case...I'm still not a huge fan of the talent on that team.  I think it's going to take a lot more than just good coaching, because they are real thin on talent. 

I heard some good things about that Tim Brewster guy...he could be a real good find.  ;)

• Like 2

This is where McCarthy is getting victimized. A great illustration of Aaron Rodgers’ unevenness came two weeks ago in Green Bay’s win over Miami. The Packers faced a 4th-and-2 near midfield. The Dolphins are a zone D that almost always plays nickel. Knowing their nickel would keep two linebackers on the field, McCarthy put in a fourth receiver and aligned Davante Adams in the backfield, so their top weapon could run his route against those overmatched linebackers. Adams did, breaking open on a short-angle route right in Rodgers’s immediate line of vision. The play worked perfectly. And Rodgers, for reasons not even Sigmund Freud could figure out, tried to break down and extend the play. A quick-strike play like this can’t be extended, though, and naturally, the protection cracked and Rodgers was sacked.

That creativity lately has shown up on other plays, too. In fact, this season, McCarthy’s offensive scheme has evolved dramatically. Early in the year, it was mostly just the simple spread formations that propagate isolation routes—that’s the unimaginativeness McCarthy has been dogged for over the years. Most likely he played this way because it accommodated Rodgers’s sandlot tendencies. It worked when the Packers had the right veteran receivers. But with an aging Jordy Nelson gone, James Jones long gone, and Randall Cobb either out injured or not looking like himself, the Packers this season have had to rely on callow, rookie receivers who are not yet capable of getting open on their own or finding the defense’s soft spots when Rodgers extends plays.

So, McCarthy has scrapped some of the iso-spread passing concepts for newer-age designs. He has used spread formations this November about half as often as he did in September. More importantly, he’s used condensed formations, with receivers aligned tight to the formation, about three times as often. Those condensed sets are the same thing McVay uses in L.A. It gives receivers more field to work with, which propagates more schematic variables in the passing game and a more natural intertwinement of routes. It also creates congestion for a defense, rendering coverages more predictable. This makes it easier for a QB to anticipate open throws. And, receivers who align tight to the formation are in better position to block safeties in the running game, which makes play-action off of that even more believable. On a related note, the Packers have also employed more snaps of two-tight end personnel, which diversifies a scheme, particularly on the ground.

The results of McCarthy’s updated approach have been mixed, in part because Rodgers’s execution has been mixed. Still, it’s reasonable to keep McCarthy on the hot seat; even with his improved approach, he’s far from flawless. But when evaluating McCarthy, we must admit that his quarterback is far from flawless, too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/26/green-bay-packers-offense-problems-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers

Edited by vike daddy

So you're telling me there's a chance??

DtGqWqRW0AEjq0J.jpg

GB needs to win 9 games in a row to win the Super Bowl this year, including 4 playoff games -- 3 as a road underdog then the Super Bowl on a neutral field. They've won only 4 of 11 games this year. 

The Packers have been incredibly streaky over the last few years. Going back to 2015: 

• 2015, games 1-6: 6 game winning streak (6-0), points differential of +63. Only one win within 7 points during that span, so 5-0 in non-close games
  • 2015 game 7 (blowout loss in Denver on SNF) through 2016 game 10 (blowout loss in Washington on SNF over a year later): 9-13 record (including 1-1 in the playoffs), points differential of -36.  Close games record of 4-7 during that span, so 5-6 in non-close games. 
  • 2016 game 11 (start of "Run The Table") though 2017 game 5 (Rodgers last game pre-injury): 12-2 (including 2-1 in the playoffs), points differential of +103. Close games record of 5-0 during that span, so 7-2 in non-close games. 
  • 2017 game 6 through end of 2017 (Hundley era including the one game against Carolina Rodgers played in December): 3-8, points differential of -89. Close games record of 3-2 during that span, so 0-6 in non-close games. 
  • 2018 through game 11: 4-6-1, points differential of -3. Close games record of 2-3-1, so 2-3 in non-close games

They've had 2 hot streaks -- start of 2015, and from "Run the Table" mid-2016 though Rodgers' injury -- during which they've gone 18-2, including an unsustainable 6-0 in close games (within 7 points) and 12-2 in non-close games. 

During their cold streaks (mid 2015 through mid 2016, then from the Rodgers collarbone injury until now), they've gone 16-27-1, including a mildly unlucky 9-12-1 in close games and 7-15 in non-close games.

Excluding the 10 games (where they went 3-7, 0-6 in non-close games) that Hundley either started or played most of last year, they're 13-20-1 with Rodgers as a starter during these 2 cold streaks, including a fairly unlucky 6-11-1 in close games and 7-9 in non-close games. 

Sum that up: they've been very lucky and very good when Rodgers is hot, unlucky and mediocre when he's not. Plus they were lucky but otherwise terrible with Hundley last year. 

Aaron Rodgers leads the league with 47 throwaways, according to Pro Football Focus, compared to only 82 total incompletions for Drew Brees. Rodgers has missed his target on 20.6 percent of his 286 attempts, according to ESPN, which is above the NFL average off-target rate of 16 percent this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/29/aaron-rodgers-fundamentals-arent-any-different-this-year/

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Aaron Rodgers leads the league with 47 throwaways, according to Pro Football Focus, compared to only 82 total incompletions for Drew Brees. Rodgers has missed his target on 20.6 percent of his 286 attempts, according to ESPN, which is above the NFL average off-target rate of 16 percent this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/29/aaron-rodgers-fundamentals-arent-any-different-this-year/

I wonder how much of that has to do with having so many young receiving options. Doesn't seem like Green Bay did a good job in putting talent around him. Never replaced Nelson and Cobb (injured) production.

We were told that Jimmy Graham would effortlessly replace Jordy Nelson, and that EQSTB, Moore and MVS would be huge additions to the passing game because their tall, fast and I'm sure some other thing though.

Of course, all are better than "poverty" WR Adam Thielen! (Yes, he was actually called a poverty wide receiver)

Edited by SteelKing728

It's glorious to see the Packers stink. Wonderful to see them in the same spot as Cleveland with less hope for a quick turnaround. Regardless of the talent around him, Rodgers looks to be a beat off this year and may be trending downward. His new contract is going to make it hard for the Packers to gather and keep talent around him. There is no heir apparent on the roster either, and the chances that they find a third HOF quarterback to replace him is slim. Hopefully this is the beginning of a long-term changing of the guard in the NFC North. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's all Danica Patrick's fault.  

1)  Bad coaching

2) stale schemes

3) young receivers

4) Family rift

5) No longer motivated after signing for the big money

6) lingering injuries - knee

7) lingering injury - collarbone

8) poor offensive line play

9)  NFC north teams no longer running Dungy Cover 2 defenses