Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So...the Packers just paid two defenders who have not had a double digit sack season more than what the Vikings are paying Danielle Hunter. 

👍 

That's what happens when the cap goes up more than 18MM a year......inflation makes almost all previous deals look like bargains. If Kirk was signed for 4-5 years at that price, he'd look cheap by the end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That's what happens when the cap goes up more than 18MM a year......inflation makes almost all previous deals look like bargains. If Kirk was signed for 4-5 years at that price, he'd look cheap by the end.

That's true, but like the Vikings have learned, eventually the bill will come due. You can splash here and there like the Vikings have done, but the Packers appear to be taking the late aughts Vikings' tactic of signing free agents to try to fill lots of holes.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's true, but like the Vikings have learned, eventually the bill will come due. You can splash here and there like the Vikings have done, but the Packers appear to be taking the late aughts Vikings' tactic of signing free agents to try to fill lots of holes.  

Look at the guarantees.  That's the important part.

Just now, swede700 said:

True, we'll still have to see how it all shakes out, but it still does look like they are taking the "All-in" approach.  

Not really, no.  We're seeing deals structured in a way where you can release them after Y2 or Y3 and save a considerable amount of money.

Just now, swede700 said:

But, then you have to replace them too.  

We've got 2-3 drafts before we need to address that situation.  Right now, we still should use 12 to address our EDGE position, but that holds down our EDGE position for the next 2 years.  Fackrell will be a FA, let someone overpay him, and draft another EDGE to replace him.

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If I had Aaron Rodgers, I'd be going all in like crazy. He's one of the GOAT for sure. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:33 AM, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. Terrible deal. Glad we're not getting in on this OL frenzy. I'm only sold on Paradis if he's still available. Maybe Saffold.

First off, if you look at the structure of the deal, it's essentially a 1 year deal with 3 options.  I'd anticipate they'd keep him for 2 years, but it's hardly the deal people are making it out to be.  If he's bad, they can release him with minimal cap savings.  Secondly, that's the price of paying for an OL in FA.  The halfway decent ones get overpaid, and the quality ones never hit FA.  If you want an OL in FA, be prepared to overpay.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

First off, if you look at the structure of the deal, it's essentially a 1 year deal with 3 options.  I'd anticipate they'd keep him for 2 years, but it's hardly the deal people are making it out to be.  If he's bad, they can release him with minimal cap savings.  Secondly, that's the price of paying for an OL in FA.  The halfway decent ones get overpaid, and the quality ones never hit FA.  If you want an OL in FA, be prepared to overpay.

I don't disagree. The OL market is always ridiculous. Seeing the Vikes jump in regularly, I'm a bit relieved they haven't this year because it hasn't delivered desired results. The only FA OL I really had an interest in was Paradis and bringing back Easton.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:30 AM, SemperFeist said:

So...the Packers just paid two defenders who have not had a double digit sack season more than what the Vikings are paying Danielle Hunter. 

👍 

Because this is clearly an apples-to-apples comparison.  Danielle Hunter signed his extension a year prior to FA, and he signed it coming off of a 7 sack season.  Za'Darius is coming off an 8.5 sack season, and was a FA.

• Like 1