Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Last offseason, the Packers gave quarterback Aaron Rodgers a huge new contract, making him the highest-paid player in NFL history. The latest revelations about Rodgers’ relationship with the higher-ups in Green Bay raise a simple question: Why? Why did the Packers give Rodgers an enormous new contract, when they still had him under contract for two more very affordable seasons? If Rodgers were still playing under his old contract, he’d be heading into the final season of that deal, and he would be highly motivated to have his best season ever before hitting free agency.

Instead, Rodgers pocketed a whopping $67 million last year. He has enough “screw you” money that he doesn’t have to be particularly accommodating to his team. So why did Murphy sign a quarterback who needed to be told not to be a problem to the biggest contract in NFL history? If the Packers hadn’t signed Rodgers to that extension, they’d have a great deal of leverage with him right now: They could tell him, If you’re the problem this season, you won’t be here next season, but if you get back to your MVP form, we’ll reward you with a lucrative contract extension.

As it is, the Packers have given Rodgers so much money that they couldn’t move on from him now if they wanted to: Rodgers’ huge signing bonus means he would have about a $45 million dead cap hit if he were traded. It’s simply not feasible.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/05/latest-revelations-make-aaron-rodgers-contract-look-like-a-mistake/

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Last offseason, the Packers gave quarterback Aaron Rodgers a huge new contract, making him the highest-paid player in NFL history. The latest revelations about Rodgers’ relationship with the higher-ups in Green Bay raise a simple question: Why? Why did the Packers give Rodgers an enormous new contract, when they still had him under contract for two more very affordable seasons? If Rodgers were still playing under his old contract, he’d be heading into the final season of that deal, and he would be highly motivated to have his best season ever before hitting free agency.

Instead, Rodgers pocketed a whopping $67 million last year. He has enough “screw you” money that he doesn’t have to be particularly accommodating to his team. So why did Murphy sign a quarterback who needed to be told not to be a problem to the biggest contract in NFL history? If the Packers hadn’t signed Rodgers to that extension, they’d have a great deal of leverage with him right now: They could tell him, If you’re the problem this season, you won’t be here next season, but if you get back to your MVP form, we’ll reward you with a lucrative contract extension.

As it is, the Packers have given Rodgers so much money that they couldn’t move on from him now if they wanted to: Rodgers’ huge signing bonus means he would have about a $45 million dead cap hit if he were traded. It’s simply not feasible.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/05/latest-revelations-make-aaron-rodgers-contract-look-like-a-mistake/

Is there enough evidence yet to convict Rodgers of being a Grade A Douchbag yet??

On 4/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, swede700 said:

This article certainly didn't help me change my mind on Aaron Rodgers, despite what some have told me about how great a teammate he was...even though I'd probably have been p-o-ed at McCarthy a lot too, because he ain't a winner in this story either.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

I remember years ago calling out McCarthy for playing a much smaller role in GB's success and for him being incompetent. Packer fans hated that and felt like he was infallible.

Now, 4-5 years later and they all say the same things I was saying then.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I remember years ago calling out McCarthy for playing a much smaller role in GB's success and for him being incompetent. Packer fans hated that and felt like he was infallible.

Now, 4-5 years later and they all say the same things I was saying then.

you making a post about football, or how smart you are? lol

On 4/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, vike daddy said:

you making a post about football, or how smart you are? lol

I was worried less about propping myself up and more so just bringing up what I felt to be very apparent to Packers divisional rival.

I've never thought of Mike McCarthy very highly. Their team success was much more do to the drafting of Ted Thompson, when he was on his A game, and the organic development of those players.

Legendary Packers offensive lineman and longtime NFL coach Forrest Gregg has passed away at the age of 85. The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced his passing this morning, and said the flag at the Hall would be at half-staff until he has been laid to rest.

One of the foundations of the Packers dynasty, former coach Vince Lombardi called Gregg “the best player I ever coached.”

Gregg was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams, six NFL/NFC champions, was All-NFL eight straight years and played in nine Pro Bowls. He was a member of the All-Decade team for the 1960s and the league’s 75th Anniversary All-Time team. Gregg coached the Browns, Bengals, and Packers after his retirement, and led the Bengals to their first Super Bowl.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/12/hall-of-famer-forrest-gregg-dies-at-85/

Him coaching the Packers is one of my earlier memories football-wise...I recall him getting fired and them hiring Lindy Infante.  What a brilliant time that was in Packer history.  I just went back and looked at that season...Tom Coughlin was the WRs coach in Gregg's last season as HC and current Browns' GM John Dorsey was a LB on that team.  :D

The Majik Man (the last non-HOF worthy Packers QB) was drafted under Gregg that year.  Looking over that roster...god, was that a terrible roster.  I'm usually pretty good at recognizing some names from the past, but there ain't much there outside of Dorsey, Majik Man, Al Del Greco, Max Zendejas, Ken Ruettgers and Johnny Holland....oh and Joey Browner's brother Ross.  Of course, that might have been due a lot to the strike that year, but man...

I can't believe they drafted some random RB named Brent Fullwood at #4 overall.  Apparently, they felt jaded by the Oilers taking Alonzo Highsmith right before them.    I mean if they wanted to take a RB, they should have taken DJ Dozier.  :P

And on a side note, Joey and Nick Bosa's dad was taken in the 1st rd that year too

Edited by swede700

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports that former Missouri quarterback Drew Lock is traveling to Green Bay on Monday and will meet with the team on Tuesday. The Packers have the 12th and 30th picks in the first round and 10 total picks in this year’s draft.

While Rodgers is obviously set as the starter, one can’t know for sure that he’ll be there through the entire contract and the extra picks may make the prospect of drafting another quarterback to develop as a backup/future starter/trade bait more appealing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/15/report-drew-lock-visiting-packers/

Would be amusing to see GB draft a QB at 12. Basically Favre-Rodgers all over again. Will see how Rodgers would handle that being the one eventually on the way out.

I wouldn't blame GB for considering their options. New HC may want to hand pick his QB to develop.

12 might be early but if Lock is viewed as a franchise QB, it would be hard not to think about it. 

• Like 1