Jump to content
swede700

Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

Recommended Posts

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, Krauser said:

After spending his rookie contract as a mediocre slot corner for the Packers, Micah Hyde moved on to Buffalo, where he’s turned into one of the best free safeties in the game.

This PFF analysis is brutal reading for Packers fans who’ve watched their secondary struggle for 3 years (pass defense DVOA 23rd in 2016, 27th in 2017, and 28th in 2018):

Finally put in a position to succeed, Micah Hyde is making a name for himself

The Packers safeties have been terrible over the past couple of years, including recent high draft picks (Clinton-Dix, 21st overall in 2014, Josh Jones late 2nd rounder in 2017) .

This offseason, GB signed Adrian Amos for $36M/4, the 8th highest AAV for a safety, and drafted Darnell Savage 21st (trading the 30th pick and two 4th rounders to move up, including the pick the Vikings later used on Dru Samia). 

Meanwhile, Bills signed Hyde in 2017 for $30M/5, currently the 17th highest paid safety in the league by AAV.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Bills get better safety play from Hyde this year than the Packers do from their major additions.

 

I mean, that's fine to note Hyde's success after moving from GB but Capers,TT, and MM are no longer calling shots in GB. Hyde never played for Pettine and co in GB, so I guess it may be interesting to see h how he does vs GBs new safeties but its also not apples to apples due to some new variables.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Damarious Randall and Casey Heyward have been very good outside GB as well. 

At one time, Ted Thompson was lauded as a genius with his drafting by Packers fans, and then the team started coming apart around 2015 or so, and a different tune has been sung. Same with Mike McCarthy.

No doubt GB did do well with their coaching and drafting, which won them a SB nine years ago, but I don't think that team ever lived up to the hype.

Hayward was Kevin King-ish in GB. A good player but very frequently hurt. Of course it would be nice to resign him for GB  but it's easier to say in hindsight. The guy couldn't stay on the field very much in GB and IIRC SD was like the only( or one of a few) teams that showed interest in him. They also didn't pay him big money. So I'd say the NFL FA Market somewhat concurred with TT's evaluation to let him walk. Obviously it was the wrong call to not resign him, but not a no-brainer like some like to think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy says his team’s efforts to trade for Khalil Mack a year ago were thwarted primarily by the Raiders’ perception that the Bears would have a higher first-round draft pick. Murphy said the Packers made a big offer to the Raiders for Mack, but the Raiders thought the Bears would have a worse team.

“Well the whole Khalil Mack thing. It’s not that we didn’t try,” Murphy said. “We were aggressive. We wanted to sign him. I think, ironically, the Raiders took the Bears offer because they thought they would be a better draft pick.”

That turned out to be an unwise calculation by the Raiders, as the Packers ended up with the 12th overall pick in the draft, while the Raiders got the 24th pick from the Bears. But Murphy thinks it might have worked out for the best, noting that if the Packers had combined the huge contract Mack was demanding with the huge contract they gave Aaron Rodgers, there wouldn’t be much cap space left for the other 51 players on the roster.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/mark-murphy-packers-wanted-khalil-mack-raiders-thought-bears-would-have-higher-pick/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Daniels released. 

 

I would definitely be making a phone call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Mike Daniels released. 

 

I would definitely be making a phone call. 

Yes, could see him fitting in well along the DT rotation. Never really replaced Richardson and Johnson as interior pass rushers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

woah! has to be some kind of injury or threat of reduced availability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

woah! has to be some kind of injury or threat of reduced availability

Money, it appears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

woah! has to be some kind of injury or threat of reduced availability

Probably a combination of a bunch of things.  He wasn't as good as he was in past years, and given his age and contract status he probably wasn't going to be beyond this season.  The only thing that really makes me question is the timing of this move.  If they had planned on moving on from him already, why wait so late?  Prior to the Dean Lowry extension and Mike Daniels' release, the Packers had ~$8.9M in cap space.  Tom Silverstein is reporting the Packers have ~$15.3M in cap space.  You'd have to assume that's going to parlay into an extension for Kenny Clark.  If they're using that money to extend Clark, that's good use of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably a combination of a bunch of things.  He wasn't as good as he was in past years, and given his age and contract status he probably wasn't going to be beyond this season.  The only thing that really makes me question is the timing of this move.  If they had planned on moving on from him already, why wait so late?  Prior to the Dean Lowry extension and Mike Daniels' release, the Packers had ~$8.9M in cap space.  Tom Silverstein is reporting the Packers have ~$15.3M in cap space.  You'd have to assume that's going to parlay into an extension for Kenny Clark.  If they're using that money to extend Clark, that's good use of money.

Agreed.  I was talking about it here at work, and the timing is the big problem I have with it.  It's a raw deal for Daniels that they wait until now to make the move.  Every possible explanation I can come up with could have been used  2-3 months ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably a combination of a bunch of things.  He wasn't as good as he was in past years, and given his age and contract status he probably wasn't going to be beyond this season.  The only thing that really makes me question is the timing of this move.  If they had planned on moving on from him already, why wait so late?  Prior to the Dean Lowry extension and Mike Daniels' release, the Packers had ~$8.9M in cap space.  Tom Silverstein is reporting the Packers have ~$15.3M in cap space.  You'd have to assume that's going to parlay into an extension for Kenny Clark.  If they're using that money to extend Clark, that's good use of money.

Cost saving move no doubt, they have decent DE depth on the roster with Lowry, Adams and Lancaster could play NT or DE and Keke could be good and and Eric Cotton fits the profile.   Not to mention Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith who are both more a DE than a typical 3/4 OLB I would say.  So possibly they are going to more of a 4/3 type front with some versatility off of that.  Fackrell I really liked in college and was good last year and Ty Summers could be a good player as well.  They could move Za'Darius Smith down to DE to give Fackrell a chance to start opposite Preston Smith at OLB if they stick in a 3/4 also.  

If they secondary improves they could be a decent defense, but I do feel they over paid for Za'Darius Smith and especially Adrian Amos.  They better hope Savage is a great player and that is debatable based on his college career but will see, if he did not run that great 40 time as a safety I think people would view him differently.  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably a combination of a bunch of things.  He wasn't as good as he was in past years, and given his age and contract status he probably wasn't going to be beyond this season.  The only thing that really makes me question is the timing of this move.  If they had planned on moving on from him already, why wait so late?  Prior to the Dean Lowry extension and Mike Daniels' release, the Packers had ~$8.9M in cap space.  Tom Silverstein is reporting the Packers have ~$15.3M in cap space.  You'd have to assume that's going to parlay into an extension for Kenny Clark.  If they're using that money to extend Clark, that's good use of money.

Hold on.....not so fast......
The GBPs have contacted me to ask how quickly I could put on (a considerable amount of....) weight. Given the cash involved I've been doing nothing but stuffing myself 24/7 and intend to be signed by the middle of training camp :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Cost saving move no doubt, they have decent DE depth on the roster with Lowry, Adams and Lancaster could play NT or DE and Keke could be good and and Eric Cotton fits the profile.   Not to mention Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith who are both more a DE than a typical 3/4 OLB I would say.  So possibly they are going to more of a 4/3 type front with some versatility off of that.  Fackrell I really liked in college and was good last year and Ty Summers could be a good player as well.  They could move Za'Darius Smith down to DE to give Fackrell a chance to start opposite Preston Smith at OLB if they stick in a 3/4 also.  

If they secondary improves they could be a decent defense, but I do feel they over paid for Za'Darius Smith and especially Adrian Amos.  They better hope Savage is a great player and that is debatable based on his college career but will see, if he did not run that great 40 time as a safety I think people would view him differently.  

Like you said, it's about the fact that the Packers have a solid DL depth right now.  Not great, but solid enough especially enough that you really are only going to see the Packers usually roll with 2 down lineman.  You're going to have Kenny Clark out there as much as possible, without wearing him down.  Last year, Clark played in roughly 68% of the defensive snaps.  I'd expect that to jump a bit higher, but not crazy high.  You're probably going to see a bit more of Montravius Adams as well.  In base, you're probably looking at some combination of Adams/Clark/Lowry.  And when you're moving into obvious passing downs, you'll get more snaps out of Za'Darius Smith on the DL there.  Fackrell is our #4 OLB, unless Rashan Gary flops.  His production last year isn't replicable.  I'm hoping Summers turns into something, but if they're getting a jump at the ILB positions it's going to come from Oren Burks.  Looked good in the preseason, but he got hurt and couldn't get back into the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  I was talking about it here at work, and the timing is the big problem I have with it.  It's a raw deal for Daniels that they wait until now to make the move.  Every possible explanation I can come up with could have been used  2-3 months ago.  

I don't know. The Packers can hold his rights as long as they want in case of a freak accident to another player on the roster or in hopes of trading him. They assume an increased risk of football related injury once camps are open. It is up to the player's agents to put bonuses earlier in the year to stop teams from holding onto a player like that and later cutting him.  I have trouble seeing a problem with the Packers timing. The problem is with the contract he signed. Presumably, he could have pushed for guarantees earlier in the year. Presumably, that would have cost him a bit off the top in order to secure the guarantees the trigger earlier in the year. He signed the contract that he did and the Packers are well within their rights to do what they did as far as I am concerned. I do not have a problem with that myself.

Further, it is better for him to be released now than if the Packers held onto him for a few weeks of camp and then cut him. There will be lots of players being cut in a month and nobody is going to have a problem with the timing of those moves. Right now is better for him so another reason I don't have a problem with the timing.

Edited by Cearbhall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't know. The Packers can hold his rights as long as they want in case of a freak accident to another player on the roster or in hopes of trading him. They assume an increased risk of football related injury once camps are open. It is up to the player's agents to put bonuses earlier in the year to stop teams from holding onto a player like that and later cutting him.  I have trouble seeing a problem with the Packers timing. The problem is with the contract he signed. Presumably, he could have pushed for guarantees earlier in the year. Presumably, that would have cost him a bit off the top in order to secure the guarantees. He signed the contract that he did and the Packers are well within their rights to do what they did as far as I am concerned. I so not have a problem with that myself.

Further, it is better for him to be released now than if the Packers held onto him for a few weeks of camp and then cut him. There will be lots of players being cut in a month and nobody is going to have a problem with the timing of those moves. Right now is better for him so another reason I don't have a problem with the timing.

I will just disagree, because they could have cut him after minicamp...you don't let a player go on his vacation, and then wait until he's coming back from his vacation to say "sorry, we don't want you any more."  To me, that's ridiculous.  Especially when the guy has been there as long as he has.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Like you said, it's about the fact that the Packers have a solid DL depth right now.  Not great, but solid enough especially enough that you really are only going to see the Packers usually roll with 2 down lineman.  You're going to have Kenny Clark out there as much as possible, without wearing him down.  Last year, Clark played in roughly 68% of the defensive snaps.  I'd expect that to jump a bit higher, but not crazy high.  You're probably going to see a bit more of Montravius Adams as well.  In base, you're probably looking at some combination of Adams/Clark/Lowry.  And when you're moving into obvious passing downs, you'll get more snaps out of Za'Darius Smith on the DL there.  Fackrell is our #4 OLB, unless Rashan Gary flops.  His production last year isn't replicable.  I'm hoping Summers turns into something, but if they're getting a jump at the ILB positions it's going to come from Oren Burks.  Looked good in the preseason, but he got hurt and couldn't get back into the lineup.

Dang I forgot they got Gary also.  Will be curious where they put him honestly at DE or a OLB.

 

DE Lowry
NT Clark
DE R. Gary
OLB P. Smith
ILB Martinez
ILB O. Burks/ Ty. Summers
OLB Fackrell, Z. Smith

 

They got a lot of versatility there, could put Z. Smith at DE like I said or obviously put Gary at OLB so basically could switch them.  Burks is a decent player but not sure he has star potential or not, athletic sure but Ty Summers is more physical and can rush the passer on the edge also, but if they want range they go with Burks.

They sure are more stout at the point of attack across the board compared to what they have been recently.  Gary could be a monster as a 3/4 DE with say Preston Smith outside of him on the edge and Clark in the middle.

 

Enough damn Packer talk;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×