Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 8/7/2019 at 3:56 PM, Ozzy said:

Pretty funny stuff, and sounds great coming from Nick on the 93x morning show.  Below on this link to that audio it is on "Part 2" for August 7th 2019 and starts basically at the 39:30 mark.  

http://www.93x.com/podcast/

Here is the article.  

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-green-bay-packers-1836994171

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnBq2-Qf3F-TfBcIkHDBo

Drew Magary's idea of sports journalism, judging from the several "Why [some team] Sucks in 2019" articles I've read on Deadspin, is throwing around bilious insults and sociopolitical rhetoric at everybody involved. Not saying he isn't a good writer but he sure manages to sound like the most annoying guy in the cyber-newsroom.

I have no objection to his Packer-bashing though. xD

Edited by y*so*blu

The Packers may have another hole in the middle of their revamped defense. According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Packers linebacker Oren Burks is believed to have a torn pectoral muscle. He’s having more tests to determine the severity of the injury, but if as believed, he’ll miss significant time.

Burks, last year’s third-round pick, is a starter in the middle of their base defense, which the Packers made a deliberate effort to refresh this offseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/10/report-packers-linebacker-oren-burks-has-torn-pec/

Burks was expected to start at ILB next to Martinez and play in nickel. He's very athletic but raw and wasn't very good last year as a rookie in limited opportunities. 

With Burks out, their other options at ILB include Josh Jones, drafted as a safety but much better in the box than in coverage, and 7th round rookie Ty Summers. Summers is athletic and made a bunch of tackles in their first game, but he also missed a couple of tackles and struggled with some of his assignments in coverage. Another possibility is UDFA rookie Curtis Bolton, an athletic but undersized (played at 218 in college) LB who racked up a lot of tackles for Oklahoma last year. 

Early returns on Packers 12th overall pick Rashan Gary have not been encouraging. 

A lot has been on his plate but none of it is getting taken care of. Gary has great burst but he lacks pass rush moves. He’s been easily neutralized even by the 2nd and 3rd string OL he’s faced so far. He’s failed to set the edge a couple of times (including on a 4th and short naked bootleg to his side that went for 10 yards) and has made no plays in pursuit, a couple of times even jogging after scrambling QBs.

Meanwhile Chase Winovich, Gary’s teammate at Michigan who was drafted late in the 3rd round by the Pats, has been very productive. Winovich is an excellent athlete if not quite as freaky as Gary and he produced more in college. PFF rated Winovich higher than Gary coming out in the draft. 

Here are their stats so far:

Gary: 64 snaps (31 pass rush). 0 sacks, 0 hits, 1 hurry (1 pressure). 0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 missed tackles, 0 stops. PFF grade 57.9

Winovich: 74 snaps (44 pass rush, 2 coverage): 3 sacks, 1 hit, 8 hurries (12 pressures). 6 tackles, 0 assists, 0 missed tackles, 7 stops. PFF grade 92.5

• Like 4

On 8/18/2019 at 11:15 AM, Krauser said:

Early returns on Packers 12th overall pick Rashan Gary have not been encouraging. 

A lot has been on his plate but none of it is getting taken care of. Gary has great burst but he lacks pass rush moves. He’s been easily neutralized even by the 2nd and 3rd string OL he’s faced so far. He’s failed to set the edge a couple of times (including on a 4th and short naked bootleg to his side that went for 10 yards) and has made no plays in pursuit, a couple of times even jogging after scrambling QBs.

Meanwhile Chase Winovich, Gary’s teammate at Michigan who was drafted late in the 3rd round by the Pats, has been very productive. Winovich is an excellent athlete if not quite as freaky as Gary and he produced more in college. PFF rated Winovich higher than Gary coming out in the draft. 

Here are their stats so far:

Gary: 64 snaps (31 pass rush). 0 sacks, 0 hits, 1 hurry (1 pressure). 0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 missed tackles, 0 stops. PFF grade 57.9

Winovich: 74 snaps (44 pass rush, 2 coverage): 3 sacks, 1 hit, 8 hurries (12 pressures). 6 tackles, 0 assists, 0 missed tackles, 7 stops. PFF grade 92.5

I've watched every snap of Gary this preaseason multiple times and your being a little too negative compared to what the film shows. His motor has ran consistently high through preseason and no one who has been reporting on him through TC has questioned his motor or effort. 

Chase is also a terrible comp for Gary.  Chase is 3 years older than Gary, was thought of as one of the more pro-ready OLBs coming out, and has played the pass rusher role exclusively for a number of years.  Gary has come out raw as hell and having played all along the D line through his career. They couldn't be any different as far as prospects are concerned. 

I didn't like the Gary pick coming out and he hasn't done much in his first preseason to this point to make me think otherwise but a guy like him was always going to take some time to grow. He is in a good spot right now as he won't be a starter for at least this year and more likely a couple years with both Smiths signed for a few years. I do expect an automatic starter with the 12th overall pick however so I would say he has been a disappointment to this point. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, vikingsrule said:

Given the Packers track record developing OL, I'd probably pass. If they can't develop him, he may be a lost cause.

I wouldn't take on Spriggs, but the Packers track record developing Oline? Really? 

I know It's a new regime and coaches now, but the Packers track record includes drafting and developing probably one of the best current tackle tandems in the NFL in Bulaga and Bak (plus Clifton and Tauscher before that). They were previously paired with probably one of the best guard tandems in the NFL in Sitton and Lang that were both drafted and developed by GB. Lindsley sure developed in a nice center for a 5th rounder... Same as Wells before him (7th rounder).

Sure they have had some misses over the years, but who hasn't?

I don't think you can really argue their track record has been bad in the recent past...Now we just need to see what was attributable to the previous OL coach, Campen, vs those drafting the guys he had to deal with.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I wouldn't take on Spriggs, but the Packers track record developing Oline? Really? ...

Sure they have had some misses over the years, but who hasn't?

I don't think you can really argue their track record has been bad in the recent past...Now we just need to see what was attributable to the previous OL coach, Campen, vs those drafting the guys he had to deal with.

Pretty sure he was making the opposite point: the Packers have been so good over the years in developing OL that if they've given up on Spriggs, the Vikings shouldn't expect to get anything out of him either.

You could make a similar point about the Vikings and DL. Given their (excellent) track record in developing DL, if they end up cutting Jaleel Johnson this year, he may be a lost cause.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Pretty sure he was making the opposite point: the Packers have been so good over the years in developing OL that if they've given up on Spriggs, the Vikings shouldn't expect to get anything out of him either.

You could make a similar point about the Vikings and DL. Given their (excellent) track record in developing DL, if they end up cutting Jaleel Johnson this year, he may be a lost cause.

You've got it. That was my point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Ah I misunderstood then

49 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The field is a disaster apparently. What an embarrassment for the NFL.

The field was actually approved for play by NFL officials 3-4 hours before game time. 

I don't think the field is a "disaster" but i think NFL dropped the ball by not realizing there could be a hole where a post has been and coaches wood hold players out. Terrible for the fans. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1