Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

12 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be fair, we only thru the ball 10 times..... an no TE caught the ball.

while I don’t see us having Irv put up some outstanding numbers, this is really the first time we had a TE2 that actually is a catching TE. Morgan played basically as a blocker, along with Rhett. We also have played more 12 last game than we ever have. 

Most likely he’s not going to put up huge numbers, but I do expect him to outdo the numbers of Ellison and Morgan did in past years. 

That's kinda my point.  I'm not using some extrapolation to justify an argument.  If Irv Smith puts up similar numbers to what Dallas Goedert put up last year with the Eagles, I'd consider that a success.  Goedert last year played in ~48% of the offensive snaps last year and had 33 receptions for 334 receiving yards.  That's a strong rookie season for Irv Smith IMO.  Rookies usually aren't big producers at the TE position, and while I do expect him to be better than Ellison, Bell, etc. I don't think he's going to be someone who is going blow people over.  I'm more interested to see him going into Y2 than Y1 itself.  Same thing with Jace and every other TE.

• Like 1

And for the record, I thought Irv Smith was closer to Jace Sternberger than Noah Fant as prospects.  That's not a knock on Irv Smith, Fant and Hock were just much better prospects.  I'm just not a fan of his body type.  He's more of an H-Back body type than a traditional TE.  I prefer my TEs being 6'5", 250+.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's kinda my point.  I'm not using some extrapolation to justify an argument.  If Irv Smith puts up similar numbers to what Dallas Goedert put up last year with the Eagles, I'd consider that a success.  Goedert last year played in ~48% of the offensive snaps last year and had 33 receptions for 334 receiving yards.  That's a strong rookie season for Irv Smith IMO.  Rookies usually aren't big producers at the TE position, and while I do expect him to be better than Ellison, Bell, etc. I don't think he's going to be someone who is going blow people over.  I'm more interested to see him going into Y2 than Y1 itself.  Same thing with Jace and every other TE.

I was basically agreeing with you. I have a hard time seeing him put up 500 yards like some of Vikings Twitter has even brought up. No doubt in my mind YR 2 will be a bigger year for him. Before we acquired Doctson I had higher hopes for him with only competing for basically targets with Diggs Thielen and Rudolph. 

I know I mentioned Ellison and Morgan as blocking TE’s but from last game and all offseason the team has been floored with how well he has been as a blocker. So maybe that will be a big key for him and his playing time.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And for the record, I thought Irv Smith was closer to Jace Sternberger than Noah Fant as prospects.  That's not a knock on Irv Smith, Fant and Hock were just much better prospects.  I'm just not a fan of his body type.  He's more of an H-Back body type than a traditional TE.  I prefer my TEs being 6'5", 250+.

Absolutely agree with you, about most of this. I did actually like Irv over Jace, but the distance between Fant and Hock was farther away that the distance to Jace. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Packers placed starting left guard Lane Taylor on injured reserve Saturday. They signed offensive lineman Adam Pankey from the Titans’ practice squad in a corresponding move.

Taylor showed up on the injury report Thursday as a limited participant with a biceps injury. He did not practice Friday. Rookie Elgton Jenkins will start at left guard Sunday. Jenkins, the 44th overall selection in this spring’s draft, played 18 snaps last week in a rotation with Taylor.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/21/packers-place-lane-taylor-on-injured-reserve/

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams career-best receiving night against the Philadelphia Eagles ended in a great deal of pain. According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Adams said he has a turf toe injury sustained in the fourth quarter of Thursday night’s loss to the Eagles.

Adams was holding his right shoe in his hand while speaking with reporters after the game. He said the injury was so painful “I don’t even want to try” to put the shoe on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/27/davante-adams-says-he-has-turf-toe-injury/

18 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

STILL the 3rd best in the division^_^

Not technically, as currently, according to FootballOutsiders, the Vikings have the worst defense in the division.  But, in reality, yes, the Vikings are probably #2, but a case can be made that the Lions may be 4th, but are quickly closing the gap on the Packers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Not technically, as currently, according to FootballOutsiders, the Vikings have the worst defense in the division.  But, in reality, yes, the Vikings are probably #2, but a case can be made that the Lions may be 4th, but are quickly closing the gap on the Packers.  

This is the football world I am talking about.:)

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams career-best receiving night against the Philadelphia Eagles ended in a great deal of pain. According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Adams said he has a turf toe injury sustained in the fourth quarter of Thursday night’s loss to the Eagles.

Adams was holding his right shoe in his hand while speaking with reporters after the game. He said the injury was so painful “I don’t even want to try” to put the shoe on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/27/davante-adams-says-he-has-turf-toe-injury/

who's our orthopedist here? @RpMc? we're out of @Krauser's realm, lol.

how long of a rehab period?

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Not technically, as currently, according to FootballOutsiders, the Vikings have the worst defense in the division.

FO doesn't discount garbage time. So the Falcons 2 TD drives in the 4th quarter and the Raiders putting up 160 yards in their last 3 drives are all counted fully. 

They also don't adjust for personnel or injuries. Half their passing TDs allowed have come against Mark Fields and Nate Meadors, and another was on a flea flicker but that all counts the same as if the starting corners had been burned in man coverage. 

They do adjust for quality of opposition, but not this early in the year. The Vikings have faced a relatively strong slate of QBs so far (though no worse than the Lions, who are a legitimately good defense this year). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Krauser said:

FO doesn't discount garbage time. So the Falcons 2 TD drives in the 4th quarter and the Raiders putting up 160 yards in their last 3 drives are all counted fully. 

They also don't adjust for personnel or injuries. Half their passing TDs allowed have come against Mark Fields and Nate Meadors, and another was on a flea flicker but that all counts the same as if the starting corners had been burned in man coverage. 

They do adjust for quality of opposition, but not this early in the year. The Vikings have faced a relatively strong slate of QBs so far (though no worse than the Lions, who are a legitimately good defense this year). 

Yeah, I did know that they didn't adjust for the quality of opposition this early, but we'll get to see what kind of impact that does have on their rankings next week, as they do start it after Week 4.  

• 2 weeks later...