Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That WAS true even four years after Rodgers was drafted.  2009 Favre was undoubtedly better than 2009 Rodgers.  It wasn't until Rodgers' fifth year in the league and when Favre really had nothing left that Rodgers finally passed him up.

And in today's NFL, younger quarterbacks are contributing right away.  

I have no doubt that the best way to break in a young QB is to let them sit behind a legend and learn for a year or two.  And that is exactly the position GB has put themselves into with Love.

No need to rush the kid and hope you get a boom (Mahomes/Watson) or pray you don't get a bust (so many examples).  Give it time and I'll bet the odds shift more towards boom than bust.

And as far as Minnesota having a superstar at QB....reminds me of Culpepper.  God I hated playing against him.  He was great.  That knee injury was really too bad.  Took everything "special" away from him.  Thought Minnesota was on the right track with Bridgewater, then whammo another injury...and a very serious one.

Sometimes it takes multiple swings to get the QB position "right".  I'm pretty happy GB has a succession plan in place for their QB of the future.

And really, if I'm telling on myself, I had hoped we would have taken Jefferson.  I think you guys have a chance to have a great one there.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think if you dig into the Rodgers "stiff drink", it was either 4 shots of tequila, or 4 fingers of tequila.

Aaron does nothing without thinking about it.  He was clearly giving homage to Brett Favre.  

It'll be interesting to see how he does in a Viking uniform in 3 years.  :)

Rodgers is so elite that he doesn't need a subconscious?!?!?

Take THAT Brady and Mahomes!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:50 AM, vegas492 said:

And in today's NFL, younger quarterbacks are contributing right away.  

I have no doubt that the best way to break in a young QB is to let them sit behind a legend and learn for a year or two.  And that is exactly the position GB has put themselves into with Love.

No need to rush the kid and hope you get a boom (Mahomes/Watson) or pray you don't get a bust (so many examples).  Give it time and I'll bet the odds shift more towards boom than bust.

And as far as Minnesota having a superstar at QB....reminds me of Culpepper.  God I hated playing against him.  He was great.  That knee injury was really too bad.  Took everything "special" away from him.  Thought Minnesota was on the right track with Bridgewater, then whammo another injury...and a very serious one.

Sometimes it takes multiple swings to get the QB position "right".  I'm pretty happy GB has a succession plan in place for their QB of the future.

And really, if I'm telling on myself, I had hoped we would have taken Jefferson.  I think you guys have a chance to have a great one there.  

Drafting Love was a surprise move to most people, but getting a guy on the roster now isn't a bad move.  I think if the Packers had taken a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round people would have had more positive opinions on drafting a QB in the 1st.  Because you guys didn't draft one at all, it kind of created the optics that LaFleur wants to move on from Rodgers ASAP. 

It should be noted that Mahomes didn't play at all until Week 17 of his rookie season.  He basically sat behind Alex Smith for a full year.  I have no issue really with the Packers drafting a QB to succeed Rodgers, I just feel it was early to do so now, as Rodgers turns 37 this year.  I thought they would wait until a year or 2 before doing so.  Favre was a little younger, but he had been waffling on retirement, so it didn't come as a true surprise when they drafted a QB, especially since Rodgers fell to them.  That isn't the case with Love.  He didn't fall to them and they probably could have got him at 30 without trading up for him.  We'll just have to see what happens with him.    

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Drafting Love was a surprise move to most people, but getting a guy on the roster now isn't a bad move.  I think if the Packers had taken a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round people would have had more positive opinions on drafting a QB in the 1st.  Because you guys didn't draft one at all, it kind of created the optics that LaFleur wants to move on from Rodgers ASAP. 

Packers wanted a receiver in the second round badly, and tried trading up to get one.  Cards just didn't fall the right way for them.  Obviously that "guy" wasn't Mims as they could have moved up to have gotten him.

And yah, outside of Adams, we have nothing but scratch off lottery tickets in the WR room.  But, we are huge at WR and we can run block.  And that hurts to type.

Not speaking for MLF, but....I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to move on.  He saw what all of us fans did last year.  Our QB was still good, but he failed to deliver the ball on time to open guys all season long.  And he really doesn't like working the middle of the field.  Couldn't blame a young coach for wanting a blank QB slate to work into his system.  And...the added bonus is maybe that pick lights a fire under Rodgers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

It should be noted that Mahomes didn't play at all until Week 17 of his rookie season.  He basically sat behind Alex Smith for a full year.  I have no issue really with the Packers drafting a QB to succeed Rodgers, I just feel it was early to do so now, as Rodgers turns 37 this year.  I thought they would wait until a year or 2 before doing so.  Favre was a little younger, but he had been waffling on retirement, so it didn't come as a true surprise when they drafted a QB, especially since Rodgers fell to them.  That isn't the case with Love.  He didn't fall to them and they probably could have got him at 30 without trading up for him.  We'll just have to see what happens with him.    

If you believe the NFL "chatter" from insiders...many teams were trying to trade up for Love at that spot.  But they were coming from the second round and GB had the best package for moving up.

Regarding Rodgers....those of us that watch him week in and week out have seen a very clear regression.  Not in arm talent, but in decision making and specifically body language on the field.  Like it isn't as bad as Cutler, but Rodgers now does not have that "it" factor on the field like he did when he was young.  Say what you want about Favre, but that on field "fire" and "passion" was always there.  For this fan only, I guess I feel like Rodgers is doing a job now and he hasn't appeared thrilled to be doing it for at least two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

If you believe the NFL "chatter" from insiders...many teams were trying to trade up for Love at that spot.  But they were coming from the second round and GB had the best package for moving up.

Regarding Rodgers....those of us that watch him week in and week out have seen a very clear regression.  Not in arm talent, but in decision making and specifically body language on the field.  Like it isn't as bad as Cutler, but Rodgers now does not have that "it" factor on the field like he did when he was young.  Say what you want about Favre, but that on field "fire" and "passion" was always there.  For this fan only, I guess I feel like Rodgers is doing a job now and he hasn't appeared thrilled to be doing it for at least two years.

That's certainly fair, especially since Rodgers has never had that Favre fire, as far as I was concerned.  I guess I don't buy the chatter about Love, but we'll never know.  It's not quite as dramatic as the Chiefs' trade-up for Mahomes was, which I thought was extreme at the time, but have certainly been proven wrong there.  So, I'll just wait and see, but even then, Love has a much further long way to go than Mahomes did.  I don't think there's a question about that.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's certainly fair, especially since Rodgers has never had that Favre fire, as far as I was concerned.  I guess I don't buy the chatter about Love, but we'll never know.  It's not quite as dramatic as the Chiefs' trade-up for Mahomes was, which I thought was extreme at the time, but have certainly been proven wrong there.  So, I'll just wait and see, but even then, Love has a much further long way to go than Mahomes did.  I don't think there's a question about that.    

Not saying you are wrong at all when looking at Mahomes then versus Love now.

But...here is my view.  Mahomes threw a lot of interceptions and played on a team that couldn't play defense.  He had to take chances to even in be in games, let alone win them.

Two years ago when Love had some draftable talent around him, he put up very good numbers.  

As a sophomore, he had 3567 yards, 64%, 32 TD's, 6 INTS.  With that draftable talent around him.

As a junior, 61.9%, 3402, 20 TD's 17 INT.  No real talent around him as his skill positions graduated or went to the NFL along with his offensive line.  He had to take more chances if they were even going to be in games.  Similar to Mahomes in that regard.

I'm not saying that their arms are the same or feet, or feel for the game, just the situation they were in.

EDIT:  And I freely admit to that may be due in part to me trying to justify my teams first round pick.  As in I'm trying to explain away those interceptions.  Only in this case, I do feel that it is true.  In order to even be in games, Love had to gamble a whole lot more in his junior and final year than he did as a sophomore.

Edited by vegas492

• 4 weeks later...

By all accounts, Love has had an unspectacular camp.  So, it looks like he is on the "Rodgers" path to becoming a star.  Rodgers was flat out awful in camp for two years.  Third year is when he looked better...and we know how that turned out.

But yah, our no name UDFA named Boyle has looked far superior to Love in camp.