Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

49 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If this comes to be, I wonder what it is about the culture of the Packers that aging superstar quarterbacks end their time with the team with acrimony?  Manning left Indy with grace and the relationship between the Patriots and Brady didn't seem dysfunctional and the split was more or less amicable.  Was Favre a one off...or will the relationship with Rodgers deteriorate to the point that there becomes a pattern in Green Bay?

It seems that there is a sense of entitlement/power that permeates within the Packers organization in the front office. It's not only QBs where that has happened...recall the acrimony that Greg Jennings had and others have made similar comments.  They have the tendency to treat their players simply as commodities and don't feel the need to have a 2-way conversation to let them know where they stand. 

That's where the Vikings organization has been completely different with their veteran players.  We've heard numerous conversations from guys like Greenway, Leber and others where the Vikings have been fairly straightforward with them.  The only situation where it was a surprise that I can recall was maybe with Brian Robison, but even in that case, it wasn't an acrimonious departure and he hasn't indicated any hard feelings.      

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Quite the opposite if you follow his IG. 

That may be true, I haven't really followed his IG.  I see him occasionally post some fishing thing on IG that he posts a link to on Twitter.  I really don't go on IG all that much...that's my wife's thing.  We're the opposite on that, she's not a fan of Twitter and I'm not a fan of IG.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That may be true, I haven't really followed his IG.  I see him occasionally post some fishing thing on IG that he posts a link to on Twitter.  I really don't go on IG all that much...that's my wife's thing.  We're the opposite on that, she's not a fan of Twitter and I'm not a fan of IG.  

He’s constantly posting old pictures of his Vikings days. Cheers the team on during the season. Etc. 

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Antoine Winfield was not pleased with how he was treated in his final days.

I suppose then that depends upon how each player interprets that discussion.  As I understand, there was no smokescreen regarding Winfield.  They came to him requesting that he take a paycut...he refused and they released him.  He was 35 yrs old at the time, made a lot of money (at the time) and had to realize that it would be coming.  And it clearly was the correct choice, considering he didn't make the Seahawks roster.  The only place where I see they mishandled a player and weren't direct with him was Riley Reiff.  That situation was poorly handled.  

• Like 1

From the comments I guess we can say that when there is unchecked ego with the player AND the FO you get situations like that which seems to exist in Green Bay. 

For players, it's important for them to have confidence in themselves and their abilities. The problem comes towards the end of their careers when that confidence becomes over-confidence.  When a FO or coaching staff notices (or plans for) the players decline before the player...I suppose that's when things can get nasty.  It would be beneficial for even pro athletes, coaches, GM's and owners to develop humility as they mature.  For too many, it just doesn't seem to happen.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

The only place where I see they mishandled a player and weren't direct with him was Riley Reiff.  That situation was poorly handled.  

I can’t even say that was poorly handled. An opportunity arose, and he happened to be the player that had to make a choice. 

"The Niners trade up to get the number three pick knowing that at some point, either right before the Draft or leading up to it, Aaron Rodgers is going to play that card of ‘You’re going to trade me to the 49ers or I’m going to sit at home' and the 49ers are going to say ‘we will give you the number three overall pick and get you Justin Fields, and you give us Aaron Rodgers.’ That’s my hot take, the number three pick will wind up going to the Packers and Aaron Rodgers gets traded to the 49ers.”

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2021-04-19-why-aaron-rodgers-will-be-traded-to-49ers-for-third-overall-pick/?fbclid=IwAR27T27ch_Awk8D7x8ZMVZlf134R6i52KkupMynNkDZE1D5NflV86w6CvSY

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

"The Niners trade up to get the number three pick knowing that at some point, either right before the Draft or leading up to it, Aaron Rodgers is going to play that card of ‘You’re going to trade me to the 49ers or I’m going to sit at home' and the 49ers are going to say ‘we will give you the number three overall pick and get you Justin Fields, and you give us Aaron Rodgers.’ That’s my hot take, the number three pick will wind up going to the Packers and Aaron Rodgers gets traded to the 49ers.”

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2021-04-19-why-aaron-rodgers-will-be-traded-to-49ers-for-third-overall-pick/?fbclid=IwAR27T27ch_Awk8D7x8ZMVZlf134R6i52KkupMynNkDZE1D5NflV86w6CvSY

I would never buy that speculation (since it's ridiculous), but even moreso considering the drafting of Jordan Love just one year ago...unless there's a third team out there that the Packers trade Love to.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I would never buy that speculation (since it's ridiculous), but even moreso considering the drafting of Jordan Love just one year ago...unless there's a third team out there that the Packers trade Love to.  

Frankly, the Packers could do that deal, still roll with Love, unload the #3 pick for a haul, and set Love up with a lot more talent. 

That said, I don't believe this will happen. But if it did, I can't say it would be a bad move for Green Bay. 

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Frankly, the Packers could do that deal, still roll with Love, unload the #3 pick for a haul, and set Love up with a lot more talent. 

That said, I don't believe this will happen. But if it did, I can't say it would be a bad move for Green Bay. 

That would be a lot to maneuver, but they certainly could do something like is often done in the NBA, where they're drafting Justin Fields for some other team.   But, if they would do that, it would also become good for the VIkings, since they would almost automatically become division favorites.  

Just now, swede700 said:

That would be a lot to maneuver, but they certainly could do something like is often done in the NBA, where they're drafting Justin Fields for some other team.   But, if they would do that, it would also become good for the VIkings, since they would almost automatically become division favorites.  

Oh sure, the Vikings would definitely be the favorites this year. But this would be about a long-term build. They could probably flip #3 for a top 15 pick and a 2nd rounder this year, and a first rounder next year. Plus they'd keep this year's first round pick. 

As far as them drafting for someone else, I'm presuming the trade happens a couple of days before the Draft.

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Oh sure, the Vikings would definitely be the favorites this year. But this would be about a long-term build. They could probably flip #3 for a top 15 pick and a 2nd rounder this year, and a first rounder next year. Plus they'd keep this year's first round pick. 

As far as them drafting for someone else, I'm presuming the trade happens a couple of days before the Draft.

Would the "owners" be happy for them conceding that they aren't a SB team (which is what they'd be doing), despite having been to the NFCC the last 2 years (and 3 out of the last 5)?  Because they certainly aren't getting to the Super Bowl anytime soon with Jordan Love at QB (outside of some miracle).