Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

For my money, Allbright is as accurate as it gets. 

If you click the link, there’s a full thread of insightful information. 

He clearly has connections within the Broncos' FO.  I'm not sure he's overly accurate, and he's not very level-headed.

9 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Hubris.  By their moves (or non-moves), the Packer FO wants to "show" their QB, and the rest of the world, who is "boss".

Not really, no.  The Packers are going to do what's best for the Green Bay Packers.  Not Aaron Rodgers.  And it's not like they didn't hand him a LARGE contract extension when he had multiple years left on his previous deal.  They're not doing this to "show" Rodgers who is boss.

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Rodgers helped them out so much last year though (and himself) by playing so well. he maximized the value they could have had from trading him.

i mean, they could have had the #3 pick in this draft, and more!

It's a bit presumptuous that the 49ers offered the #3 pick, let alone more.  Plus, I'm not sure the #3 pick is overly valuable since there really wasn't a stud EDGE, DL, or CB available this year.  Plus, how much more would the 49ers be able to offer?  They dealt their next 2 FRPs away to move up to #3, so there's only a limited amount of notable assets they could offer.

NBC Sports play-by-play announcer and host Mike Tirico caught up with Rodgers off camera [at today's Kentucky Derby] and relayed the quarterback's latest comments about the situation. Rodgers said he was disappointed that the news came out.

“I bumped into one of the VIPs here, just happens to be the biggest news name in sports, that's Aaron Rodgers,” Tirico said during NBC’s coverage of the Kentucky Derby. “We've heard the story of what's going on in Green Bay. He’s here with his fiance Shailene woodley here this weekend. He didn't want to talk on camera but I can tell you, I characterize Aaron as disappointed that news has come out of this riff with the Packers. He expressed a couple of times how much he loves Green Bay, loves the fans, loves the franchise. There is a fissure. There is a chasm between management and the reigning MVP.

“Just not sure how this is going to play out. We’ll watch closely over the next couple of weeks to see what we get from the Packers side and when Aaron does speak. Interesting times ahead in the National Football League.”

ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler echoed Gutekunst's sentiments, reporting Saturday morning that the Packers are expected to "dig in" on not making a move with Rodgers.

"The sources I've spoken to believe that the Packers are going to dig in here," Fowler said. "An exec out of the AFC said that he thinks the Packers will just wait this out, and they'll wait for Aaron Rodgers to show up in Green Bay at some point. I talked to some people who even worked in Green Bay fairly recently. They said, 'No way the Packers are going to trade him. It's just not their way, it's just not their culture to move on from a hall-of-fame guy like this. You just don't do that.'

https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Article/Aaron-Rodgers-future-Green-Bay-Packers-disappointed-news-came-out-drama-trade-retire-Jordan-Love-Brian-Gutekunst-Kentucky-Derby-164921676/

ummm... they traded Favre....

That is a little disingenuous, because they clearly have a history of moving on from guys in their culture, most notably Favre.  And it's not just their HOF QBs. And while I agree with @CWood21 to a point, I think there is a point of diminishing returns, where as the rift between Rodgers and the organization becomes more toxic so much that it may be best for the Packers to move on, not just dig in.  I don't necessarily think they are that point yet, since it is still the offseason, but if this does drag on closer to training camp. then it might be time to cut bait. 

No matter what has been said to try and discount it, there's clearly been a rift between Rodgers and the front office and Rodgers and LaFleur even despite the records they've had the last 2 seasons.  I don't know if it's just simply the clashing of personalities or if it's something deeper than that.  But, all people when they've been together as long as they have been (especially with the front office), have the tendency to butt heads and it may just be time to separate because they're tired of seeing their ugly faces. It certainly happened with Favre and the Packers...it happened with Brady and Belichick, I wouldn't have been surprised if it happened with Brees and Payton (although nothing was ever specifically discussed publicly)...and it certainly happened to some extent between Manning and the Colts.  

• Like 1

Terry Bradshaw, on Aaron Rodgers: 

“With him being that upset shows me how weak he is. Who the hell cares who you draft? I mean, he’s a three-time MVP in the league and he’s worried about this guy they drafted last year at number one? And for him to be upset, my God, I don’t understand that. Pittsburgh drafted Mark Malone number one, Cliff Stoudt in the third or fourth round. I had them coming at me from all angles. I embraced it, because when we went to practice, I wasn’t worried about those guys. You know? They didn’t scare me a bit. So I don’t understand why he’s so upset at Green Bay. And then if they fire the General Manager he’ll come back? Are you kidding me? Really? Aaron, that’s where this is?”

"Here’s what I’d do, I wouldn’t budge. Let him gripe. Let him cry. Retire. You’re 38. Go ahead and retire. See you later. I mean, I’m really strong about stuff like that, and it makes him look weak. In my way of looking at it, it makes him look weak.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/terry-bradshaw-on-aaron-rodgers-him-being-upset-shows-me-how-weak-he-is/

As George Costanza would say, "I'm gonna need a piece of cake here!"

• Like 1

NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport on Monday recapped Rodgers’ reported list of grievances with the only NFL team for which he has played. The contract is obviously a problem, as has been detailed in a few reports. Green Bay’s decision to draft quarterback Jordan Love last year didn’t help, either. But according to Rapoport, the Packers’ decision to release Jake Kumerow right before the 2020 season began was something of a “death knell” to the relationship.

According to Rapoport, it was indicative of Rodgers’ desire to be more involved with roster building.

“Rodgers, I’m told, wanted to be more involved with some of the personnel decisions,” Rapoport said Monday afternoon. “This is crazy, but it does seem like the one thing that drove Rodgers nuts, is when the organization released Jake Kumerow, just a day after he praised him publicly. It’s described as a little bit of a death knell in the relationship. So much here to fix, and I know the Packers are now trying to fix it.”

Believe it or not, Rapoport wasn’t the only tapped-in football person talking about the Kumerow decision Monday. Rodgers’ former Packers teammate, A.J. Hawk, just happened to mention it, too, during an appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show.” Hawk, it’s worth mentioning, was with Rodgers at the Kentucky Derby over the weekend.

“There are public things, things he said publicly that if people would have looked,” Hawk said. “I think he talked about the receiver Jake Kumerow. I actually played with Jake in Cincinnati. He mentioned, like, they ended up cutting Jake toward the end of training camp and I guess like, the day before or so, Aaron talked him up to the media, saying how excited he was having him on the team, he was going to be a great No. 3 receiver, and then he’s cut the next day without Aaron’s knowledge.”

https://nesn.com/2021/05/aaron-rodgers-rumors-did-releasing-little-known-receiver-doom-packers-relationship/

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Terry Bradshaw, on Aaron Rodgers: 

“With him being that upset shows me how weak he is. Who the hell cares who you draft? I mean, he’s a three-time MVP in the league and he’s worried about this guy they drafted last year at number one? And for him to be upset, my God, I don’t understand that. Pittsburgh drafted Mark Malone number one, Cliff Stoudt in the third or fourth round. I had them coming at me from all angles. I embraced it, because when we went to practice, I wasn’t worried about those guys. You know? They didn’t scare me a bit. So I don’t understand why he’s so upset at Green Bay. And then if they fire the General Manager he’ll come back? Are you kidding me? Really? Aaron, that’s where this is?”

"Here’s what I’d do, I wouldn’t budge. Let him gripe. Let him cry. Retire. You’re 38. Go ahead and retire. See you later. I mean, I’m really strong about stuff like that, and it makes him look weak. In my way of looking at it, it makes him look weak.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/terry-bradshaw-on-aaron-rodgers-him-being-upset-shows-me-how-weak-he-is/

As George Costanza would say, "I'm gonna need a piece of cake here!"

Terry Bradshaw is an idiot. He’s a mediocre QB who was lucky to play on teams whose talent far exceeded his own in a time where players had no leverage. He should go back to making crappy country music that no one will listen to. 

38 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Terry Bradshaw is an idiot. He’s a mediocre QB who was lucky to play on teams whose talent far exceeded his own in a time where players had no leverage. He should go back to making crappy country music that no one will listen to. 

He is a moron, but some of what he said does make some sense.  I do think Aaron is a little too sensitive and diva-like.  i understand some of the frustration, but Aaron has been around long enough that he should know that he can only control what is actually in his control and let the other stuff slide.  Do I think he should have some influence on the offensive personnel?  Certainly, he probably should have some...but, ultimately, it's not his decision, so he should just let it go and continue to try to have influence in other ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

While Bradshaw is an idiot...he play's the fool and makes tons of money because of it (how much of an idiot is he really???)...he was NOT a mediocre QB.  He was the Elway of his time.  Tough, could move in the pocket and out of the pocket to buy time, and had the best arm during his day.  The reason most people think of him as being "lucky" to be on a great Steelers, is his somewhat average statistics.  The Steelers, under Chuck Knoll, where ALWAYS going to be a run first team...even with receiving studs like Stallworth and Swann.  If he had coached John Unitas, Dan Marino or Peyton Manning, the Steelers would still be a run heavy team.  When he needed to throw the ball, Bradshaw threw laser focused rockets.

Bradshaw certainly isn't a genius but he's not an idiot either. he's more of a country bumpkin who never cared to be any more than that, and then discovered he could make money being just that.

and i'm sorry, but as someone who watched him play in real time, he was a very fine QB and someone his teammates responded to. Bradshaw and Elway were very similar in those regards.

@wcblack34 needs a Snickers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

While Bradshaw is an idiot...he play's the fool and makes tons of money because of it (how much of an idiot is he really???)...he was NOT a mediocre QB.  He was the Elway of his time.  Tough, could move in the pocket and out of the pocket to buy time, and had the best arm during his day.  The reason most people think of him as being "lucky" to be on a great Steelers, is his somewhat average statistics.  The Steelers, under Chuck Knoll, where ALWAYS going to be a run first team...even with receiving studs like Stallworth and Swann.  If he had coached John Unitas, Dan Marino or Peyton Manning, the Steelers would still be a run heavy team.  When he needed to throw the ball, Bradshaw threw laser focused rockets.

I'd have to say this is a bit of an overstatement.  While I do remember him playing GREAT in one of the Super Bowls where he was just throwing lasers all over the field, there were also a number of years where Bradshaw wasn't all that great.  In fact, his play was bad enough where there were more than a few fans in Pittsburgh who considered him a bust and wanted him replaced.

At the end of the day, he was a good quarterback overall, but I wouldn't put him in the same league as guys like Elway, Marino, Manning, Tarkenton, or Staubach.  That's just my two cents.

As far as his opinion on Rodgers, Bradshaw is an old-school guy who doesn't agree with players trying to dictate personnel moves to their franchises.  I agree with him on that.  Players play, and it should be up to the head coach and the GM to formulate a game plan and build the roster they think will best implement that plan.

One thing I will say in Rodgers' defense is that he's not "dumber than a box of rocks" as Bradshaw accused him of being.  Rodgers is an arrogant jerk who could use a lot of work on being a better team player, but he certainly isn't dumb.  He's a pretty intelligent guy.

11 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Am I the only one wondering how long before Rodgers ends up as the Vikings starting QB???

I don't see that ever happening...and I've mentioned it before, he would fit far better in a Bears offense than the Vikings one.  

And because I have full confidence that Nagy is going to screw up Fields, that's still the likely case to me. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1