Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I didn't necessarily say you were on Twitter, but it might be the same guy.  I'm generally only on Twitter (although I try to go elsewhere for political news, since it's now just become a  sewage plant) and here, but I'm certain there are quite a few people that post on several forums. 

Ahh Guess I misinterpreted what you said then.

23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Money talks.

And the recent contract extension should give a pretty good insight on where the Packers feel Jordan Love is at. 

Im not really following this. Isnt Love making less money than he would on the 5th year option? Its a team friendly deal that protects the Packers. Them declining his 5th year option along with the team friendly extension arent signs that they believe in him.

Edited by Sad People
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Im not really following this. Isnt Love making less money than he would on the 5th year option? Its a team friendly deal that protects the Packers. Them declining his 5th year option along with the team friendly extension arent signs that they believe in him.

Exactly

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sad People said:

So did i misinterpret what they said? I was just waking up then and havent even had my first cup of coffee.

No, you basically iterated specifically what Semper was getting at.  🤣

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 7:23 AM, Sad People said:

Not really.

It puts about $13M into Love's pocket, today.  Total payout over two years is pretty similar to what he would have received had he played on this year's deal and the 5'th year next year.  But....he has a couple million of incentives that could push his new 2 year deal over what he would have made on the old 2 year deal with the 5'th year option.

As a Packer fan, I look at it this way.  It is a team friendly deal and a player friendly deal.  Getting money now as opposed to waiting is the main thing.

Just like the Packers did with Rodgers, if Love plays well, they will give him a new contract that will pay him for his play amongst his peers.

And by doing the deal this way, it allowed GB to spread that guaranteed money out versus having it all hit in one year.  So GB does have more cap flexibility because of that deal.  While Love has more money in his bank account, now.

Regarding this "generational talent" thing around Love.  LOL.  I'm not in that camp.  He's got a great NFL arm.  He's got good movement.  But we have no real idea how the brain is.  All we have to go on are a few throws in the Philly game, which were good, and that is about it.  Then we have statements from players who loved what they saw from him in practice as Rodgers wasn't practicing much last year.

It's like this...if you are a Packer fan (or rival) and you want to bag on Love, there is evidence to support that narrative.  If you are a Packer fan and you want to feel optimistic about Love, there is lesser evidence to support that narrative.  It's more about faith in the process than it is on field results right now.  Which is where GB was at with Rodgers many, many years ago.

However....drafting a QB with a big arm and good feet then having him learn for 3 years is about the ideal situation for a QB.  Especially after watching 2 MVP years of QB play in front of him.  If he can't make it in GB, he's not going to make it anywhere.  This was an ideal situation for him.  

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Romeo Doubs seems to think the Packers will be fine following the shift from Rodgers to Jordan Love:

“I think Jordan is a really good quarterback. When you go from Aaron Rodgers to Jordan, Aaron was a really great quarterback, but I believe Jordan can do the same exact thing. So I don’t really see what’s the big difference.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/03/romeo-doubs-on-aaron-rodgers-and-jordan-love-i-dont-really-see-whats-the-big-difference/

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo...?
That which we call a quarterback,
By any other name would smell as sweet?

Romeo, doff thy name, and for that name,
Which is no part of thee,
Blow it out thy butt.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Romeo Doubs seems to think the Packers will be fine following the shift from Rodgers to Jordan Love:

“I think Jordan is a really good quarterback. When you go from Aaron Rodgers to Jordan, Aaron was a really great quarterback, but I believe Jordan can do the same exact thing. So I don’t really see what’s the big difference.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/03/romeo-doubs-on-aaron-rodgers-and-jordan-love-i-dont-really-see-whats-the-big-difference/

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo...?
That which we call a quarterback,
By any other name would smell as sweet?

Romeo, doff thy name, and for that name,
Which is no part of thee,
Blow it out thy butt.

😂 He’s been training in Peru with Aaron and hallucinogens this offseason, I see. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Ayhuasca's a heck of a drug....

While Doubs’ Love and Rodgers comp may have done enough to both excite and concern Green Bay faithful, the second-year wideout didn’t stop there when looking ahead to the future. 

Doubs: “I see it going up. I don’t see the Packers going down. I only focus on our room and our team in this organization. This organization is historic, and it’s only winning. That’s all. When you hear Green Bay, it’s no losing, it’s only winning.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/06/03/packers-romeo-doubs-bold-comparison-aaron-rodgers-jordan-love?fbclid=IwAR0UruAry8UG_51s8Myz7F3H2WJ7DVAW9qKHH8w1b08sURNaB-gaNdsFack

Doubs doubling down for the dubbya's...

Edited by vike daddy