Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

• 2 weeks later...

a Green Bay fan writes: "I think a lot of people are finally getting that peek behind the curtain that guys like Doubs and Watson just aren't very good, or at least consistent, players. They are roster worthy and Watson has that MVS speed trait to him, but neither are ever going to be much more. Doubs maybe would have been WR 4 in Rodgers's first year starting. Both are wayyyyy overrated by this fan base."

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Christian Watson exited in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game against the Broncos. Watson went down grabbing his right knee after his leg was landed on by Broncos cornerback Fabian Moreau as both went for an off-target pass from Jordan Love.

Watson jogged off the field gingerly after a play, immediately laid down on the sideline, and was then tended to by trainers.

Watson did not return to the game after suffering the injury, as Green Bay’s late comeback drive attempt ended one play later on an interception. He finished with three catches for 27 yards.

Watson had only made two previous appearances this season and entered the game with a total of five catches for 116 yards and one touchdown. Injury issues have previously kept Watson off the field this season and could now once again sideline Love’s explosive target. The second-year WR missed the first three games of the season with a hamstring injury.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/christian-watson-injury-update-latest-news-surrounding-packers-wide-receiver/

another Green Bay fan heard from: " I have been very fair to Love and want him to be the guy, but his lack of mental prowess and execution is scary bad at this point. Now, he has a mental midget as a head coach and the worst group of skill players in the league (probably by far), but Love is getting worse as the season goes on which is a major red flag for me. "

Jordan Love's seven interceptions remain second in the NFL, and it’s not like there are a bunch of big plays to offset the turnovers. According to ESPN Stats and Info, Love is 6-of-27 with three interceptions on throws with 20-plus air yards.

Love hasn’t even gotten close to a 300-yard game, his high-water mark the 259 yards vs. New Orleans. His advanced metrics are even worse. Love was the worst quarterback based on Completion Percentage Over Expected.

The offense has scored 13 points in the first half all season. The only touchdown came on the first drive of the season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/gameday/packers-quarterback-conundrum-what-if-jordan-love-is-not-the-answer

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how long they will be able to suffer with not having a HoF QB that can inflate the talent around them.  I think these comments are only the tip of the iceberg and are probably coming from fans that are impatient.  It's only been 7 games.  They probably weren't old enough to see how awful Favre was in his first 2 years in GB.  I don't think Love will pan out, but he has to be given a little bit more of a leash from fans than that.  

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

another Green Bay fan heard from: " I have been very fair to Love and want him to be the guy, but his lack of mental prowess and execution is scary bad at this point. Now, he has a mental midget as a head coach and the worst group of skill players in the league (probably by far), but Love is getting worse as the season goes on which is a major red flag for me. "

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It'll be interesting to see how long they will be able to suffer with not having a HoF QB that can inflate the talent around them.  I think these comments are only the tip of the iceberg and are probably coming from fans that are impatient.  It's only been 7 games.  They probably weren't old enough to see how awful Favre was in his first 2 years in GB.  I don't think Love will pan out, but he has to be given a little bit more of a leash from fans than that.  

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see how patient the organization is.

I’d already be willing to bet that the Packers are going to look elsewhere at QB next year. Whether Love sticks around as competition is up for debate, but I don’t think they’ll move into 2024 with him as the plan for the future. 

But what about Matt LaFleur? How much leash does he have? The Packers’ issues go beyond the QB position. The entire way that the team is playing is a massive decline from just two years ago. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The entire way that the team is playing is a massive decline from just two years ago. 

That's what happens when you move on from your HoF QB and HoF-level WR, as well as lost a good portion of your offensive coaching staff (Hackett is in NY, Getsy in Chicago, Outten, the former TE coach, is in Tennessee) and lost Jerry Gray as your DB coach (which is probably why the secondary has regressed significantly).