Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 10/28/2017 at 4:55 PM, TENINCH said:

Brett Favre would have gotten in Barr's face. Rodgers walks away and then runs his mouth on TV. You have to respect the guys right arm but I'll never respect much else about him. 

I tell people all the time that I could at least respect Brett Favre as much as I hated him.  I've never had that same level of respect for Rodgers...and it's also why, if he went to play in another uniform, I don't believe the Packers' fans would care as much.  It's no wonder why his family doesn't care all that much for him.  

Only six teams have yet to play in London. The NFL wants to make sure they do. Soon.

The Packers are one of the six teams, and according to ESPN, signs point to them having a game against the Rams in London next season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/30/packers-could-play-in-london-next-season/

I can see them making that assumption, as that's the Packers' likeliest away opponent, unless Kraft is willing to give up their game at Gillette (which ain't gonna happen). 

The Vikings have the same Home/Away opponents as the Packers in 2018, outside of the 2 variable by slot (NFCS Home, NFCE Away), which for the Vikings at this point would be vs the Saints and at Philly and for the Packers would vs Carolina and at Dallas.  

Here are those other opponents:

Home: NFC North, AZ, BUF, MIA, SF

Away: NFC North, LAR, NE, NYJ, SEA

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, disaacs said:

if he went to play in another uniform, I don't believe the Packers' fans would care as much.   

Hmmmm...I happen to be related to several Packer fans, and also have friends who are Packer fans.  These folks would be apoplectic if Rodgers wound up playing for another team.  Maybe I know unusual Packer fans???

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

Hmmmm...I happen to be related to several Packer fans, and also have friends who are Packer fans.  These folks would be apoplectic if Rodgers wound up playing for another team.  Maybe I know unusual Packer fans???

You would probably know better than I, since I'm just making an assumption.  I'm not sure, in the end, that they would be nearly as hostile, since I'm not sure he's as loved as Favre was.  

Just now, disaacs said:

You would probably know better than I, since I'm just making an assumption.  I'm not sure, in the end, that they would be nearly as hostile, since I'm not sure he's as loved as Favre was.  

Favre is still held in contempt by a number of the fans I refer to.  Rodgers, in their minds, can walk on water, and feed the multitude with a biscuit!

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

Favre is still held in contempt by a number of the fans I refer to.  Rodgers, in their minds, can walk on water, and feed the multitude with a biscuit!

They seem, then to be the same people that continually vote against their own self-interest, as that is about as illogical a take to have.    xD

Rodgers, to me, has always seemed to be a snake-oil salesman....he's a guy who will tell people the right thing, but you can just sense that he doesn't actually believe what he's saying.  Favre, on the other hand, will generally tell you exactly what he believes, even if it's not necessarily right...and tends to aggravate some people when it is said...but it's actually genuine and more believable.  That, I can respect...the snake-oil salesman stuff, not so much.  In Minnesota, our comparison to Rodgers came on the ownership level...and Minnesotans will know it immediately when I reference the names Norm Green and Red McCombs.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, disaacs said:

The Packers fans that I know were fed up with Favre and his annual retirement/unretirement shenanigans. They were happy to see him go. I was telling them they they were crazy and didn't know what they were asking for. I told them that things are not better on the other side and suggested they try to recall the pre-Favre years.

Then Aaron turned out to be a HoF caliber QB. They got what they wanted rather than what I thought they deserved for wanting Favre gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

They seem, then to be the same people that continually vote against their own self-interest, as that is about as illogical a take to have.    xD

Rodgers, to me, has always seemed to be a snake-oil salesman....he's a guy who will tell people the right thing, but you can just sense that he doesn't actually believe what he's saying.  Favre, on the other hand, will generally tell you exactly what he believes, even if it's not necessarily right...and tends to aggravate some people when it is said...but it's actually genuine and more believable.  That, I can respect...the snake-oil salesman stuff, not so much.  In Minnesota, our comparison to Rodgers came on the ownership level...and Minnesotans will know it immediately when I reference the names Norm Green and Red McCombs.  

I think there's a lot of truth to this. Favre appealed to a lot of fans, not just Packer fans, on a personal level. His love for the game was an inspiration and when he had something to say on the field he was pretty straightforward about it ("damn, I thought you hit harder than that!!"). I hated him as a kid, just because he beat us a lot, but at the same time he earned my respect. By his later years in Green Bay, I actually liked him. I can't see myself ever feeling the same way about Aaron Rodgers. I respect his abilities but everything else leaves me cold.

I live in Minnesota but went to college in Wisconsin, so I got a pretty good idea of how the fans there felt about him in the late 2000s. Everybody I talked football with loved Brett Favre. One girl I knew practically worshipped him. What bothered them was his waffling. His inconsistent statements in the offseason (I might be done playing; no, never mind, I still want to play) were hard to deal with. They thought he was wavering on his commitment to them and jerking them around, and it hurt their feelings. When he went to play for us, they acted like jilted lovers - burned his jerseys, the whole bit - but even that was proof of how they once admired and trusted him.

I'm not sure those same fans would feel quite the same way if Aaron Rodgers left. They love what he can do for them on the field, but beyond that it might be a different story.

Edited by y*so*blu

You guys are all on the right track with Rodgers.  I just... Don't... Like him.  As a person.  Something about him is just completely off, and I think he's completely overrated in the playoffs except for two-four games where he played on a godly level.  Obviously I think he's the most talented QB to ever play the game, but talent isn't everything.  I guarantee Packer fans will see that I said this and they'll try to hold it against me the next time Rodgers does something good.  Wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league obviously, but...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You guys are all on the right track with Rodgers.  I just... Don't... Like him.  As a person.  Something about him is just completely off, and I think he's completely overrated in the playoffs except for two-four games where he played on a godly level.  Obviously I think he's the most talented QB to ever play the game, but talent isn't everything.  I guarantee Packer fans will see that I said this and they'll try to hold it against me the next time Rodgers does something good.  Wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league obviously, but...

How'd you feel towards Favre?

I guess I can echo a lot of what has been said. There are very few players I respect as much as Favre. Sure the indecisiveness about playing must have been annoying, I get that. Just don't feel the same towards Rodgers as I did Favre. Rodgers is a damn good QB, probably better than Favre when it's all said and done, just don't think he meant as much to the Packers and the NFL as Favre did.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

How'd you feel towards Favre?

I absolutely loved Favre.  I loved him too much.  I still think that if Favre put half as much time and effort into being QB as Rodgers or Brady do, he'd be the undisputed best QB of all time.  His problem was that he didn't put any effort into it.  The man didn't know what nickle defense meant until like his 4th year as a pro.  He didn't care to learn offenses, he certainly didn't care to learn defenses, and he just went out there and almost literally winged it each week.  Makes what he accomplished that much more impressive, but it makes his career that much more frustrating wondering what could have been if he had the brain to go with that competitiveness, toughness, longevity and arm. 

13 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I absolutely loved Favre.  I loved him too much.  I still think that if Favre put half as much time and effort into being QB as Rodgers or Brady do, he'd be the undisputed best QB of all time.  His problem was that he didn't put any effort into it.  The man didn't know what nickle defense meant until like his 4th year as a pro.  He didn't care to learn offenses, he certainly didn't care to learn defenses, and he just went out there and almost literally winged it each week.  Makes what he accomplished that much more impressive, but it makes his career that much more frustrating wondering what could have been if he had the brain to go with that competitiveness, toughness, longevity and arm. 

Wow...you just described how I have felt about Randy Moss!  I absolutely loved his over the top talent.  I wonder how great he could've been if he had the same work ethic as Jerry Rice??

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Wow...you just described how I have felt about Randy Moss!  I absolutely loved his over the top talent.  I wonder how great he could've been if he had the same work ethic as Jerry Rice??

I wonder how great we could have been in the early 2000s if Jerry Rice joined the Vikings. With his dedication and professionalism, he could have been a great role model for Randy (assuming Randy was willing to take direction from anyone by that time).

Oh, well...I'll always have retro video games. :)

6 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I wonder how great we could have been in the early 2000s if Jerry Rice joined the Vikings. With his dedication and professionalism, he could have been a great role model for Randy (assuming Randy was willing to take direction from anyone by that time).

Oh, well...I'll always have retro video games. :)

Dan Marino to Jerry Rice. Would've been cool.