Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 11/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, vikesfan89 said:

Which seems a little messed up to begin with

Not really when you consider the situation.  McCarthy had 1 year left on his deal, and they just hired a new GM.  That puts McCarthy in a lame duck situation, and it forces the issue to either move on from him or extend him.  They did what probably could be considered the midway point with him and extended his contract another year and took the ability to fire Mike McCarthy away from the rookie GM.  For all that we know, that responsibility could be handed back to Gute.

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I find it absolutely amazing that the Packers have the best chance in the division to make the playoffs according to this lady...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/game-theory/0ap3000000988309/Game-Theory-Week-11-playoff-percentages

The Packers have been playing well. Aaron Jones has given them an excellent running game (helped by strong run blocking and defenses mostly scheming to take away the pass). Pass protection has been pretty good even with Bulaga dinged up. Graham hasn't been a star but he's made a few big plays. MVS has given them a legit deep threat. The defense has allowed points but they're manufacturing a pass rush despite mediocre edge rushers and the young corners have held up well in coverage (Jaire Alexander is great, King is OK when he stays healthy and Jackson has had his moments).

I think they're at least as talented right now as they've been at any time in the last few years, probably more so -- thanks to the emergence of young blue chip players like Clark, Jones and Alexander. It also helps that they've been relatively healthy (King is out tonight as usual, and Perry has been slowed all year by injury but these are not surprises). It hasn't all come together yet, and Rodgers still looks out of sorts somehow, but the pieces are there for the Packers to be noticeably better in the second half of the year than the first.

The matchup with the Seahawks tonight is interesting. The Packers run defense has been mediocre over the last month but in theory they should be able to contain Seattle on that front. If Rodgers plays well, the Seahawks defense can be exploited deep and their run defense is only OK this year. 

If they win, the Packers will be favored in all their remaining games except on the road in Minnesota and Chicago (other games: ARI, ATL, @ NYJ, DET), so they'll have a solid chance of winning at least 9 games. If they win one or both divisional road games, they could still win the division. 

If they lose, they'll still have a decent chance of getting to 9 wins and making the playoffs as a wild card, but they'd have to at least win one of the divisional road games, and not drop any of the others, including a home game against the hot-and-cold Falcons.

Rodgers made a handful of ridiculously good throws tonight. But he also killed several drives by missing open receivers, throwing the ball away and taking sacks trying to scramble. 

His body language is terrible, this is Cutler territory: 

Looks frustrated, tired and sad.

Packers have to fix this somehow, Rodgers' deal runs through 2023.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm going to flat out say....

We're no longer going to see elite Aaron Rodgers. We're just going to see flashes of elite Aaron Rodgers.

I've never seen a QB of his level look and play so disinterested.

I wonder if GB will have to fire McCarthy to salvage Rodgers. Get someone new to a light a fire under him. Or he could retire and leave the Packers without any QB options, I'm all for that idea.

6 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm going to flat out say....

We're no longer going to see elite Aaron Rodgers. We're just going to see flashes of elite Aaron Rodgers.

I've never seen a QB of his level look and play so disinterested.

I agree completely. Rodgers was a phenomenal QB. Now he is but a has-been elite QB. Even has-beens will have stretches of play that hearkens back to their glory days. Adrian Peterson is en example of this -- an elite has-been that occasionally reminds us of what he was once capable. The Vikings have to hope that the Packers has-been QB doesn't have any extended flashes of his former brilliance when they play him.

I think Green Bay desperately needs an aggressive, young, offensive minded coach like Frank Reich.

I know it was on their own 33, but they punted on 4th and 2. Down 3 with less than 5 minutes left. The Packers never saw the ball again. Yeah, Rogers wiffed on a throw the play before, but that's a very manageable 4th down. You play to win, not lose by less.

That said, I hope the Packers extend McCarthy another 4 years.

• Like 1

According to Michael Silver of the NFL Network, Packers tight end Jimmy Graham suffered a thumb injury last night which “is feared to be serious.” Graham left in the first half of last night’s loss to the Seahawks and didn’t return.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/16/jimmy-graham-thumb-injury-feared-to-be-serious/

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree completely. Rodgers was a phenomenal QB. Now he is but a has-been elite QB. Even has-beens will have stretches of play that hearkens back to their glory days. Adrian Peterson is en example of this -- an elite has-been that occasionally reminds us of what he was once capable. The Vikings have to hope that the Packers has-been QB doesn't have any extended flashes of his former brilliance when they play him.

I, for one, am not ready to call Rodgers a "has been."  I think it is premature to write him off as no longer being the standard that other quarterbacks are judged by.  I suspect that we are seeing a couple of things effect his play:

1. I think, other than Adams and Cobb, Rodgers doesn't really trust his receivers.

2. I also think that defensive coordinators have figured out what the Packers are doing offensively.  McCarthy may be the "has been."

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

I think Green Bay desperately needs an aggressive, young, offensive minded coach like Frank Reich.

I know it was on their own 33, but they punted on 4th and 2. Down 3 with less than 5 minutes left. The Packers never saw the ball again. Yeah, Rogers wiffed on a throw the play before, but that's a very manageable 4th down. You play to win, not lose by less.

That said, I hope the Packers extend McCarthy another 4 years.

I personally think they should have got rid of McCarthy about 3-4 years ago because, despite their record from 2014-16, they have been riding Rodgers' arm for far too long (I'd almost call it the Dan Marino method) and haven't given him enough support via the running game or defense.  While I'm certain that, should they choose to fire McCarthy, they will hire an offensive-minded coach, I'd like another defensive-minded coach in this division to go with Zimmer and Patricia...and bring back the Black and Blue division.  But, that's probably only me.  I'd like to see them hire a guy like Fangio (stealing him from the Bears) or give Gus Bradley another shot (as I'm not confident that he had the right support in Jacksonville). 

With that said, I tend to agree with Cear, I was never all that impressed with McCarthy's management style of the team.  I think he has been okay (and it's hard to argue with the results), but he's never struck me as an elite head coach.

• Like 1