Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

It’s still early in the process, but it’s probably safe to say that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers likes the way the team’s new offense is coming together. Rodgers said that the system being installed by head coach Matt LaFleur “works” based on what he’s seen from the coach’s  past stops and that getting on the field for practices is the next step in mastering it ahead of the regular season.

Rodgers: “I’ve got to be honest, I don’t know the whole offense yet. I’ve been studying it but the difference between understanding it on paper and actually getting reps in it — the minicamp, those two days, and then the two days of OTAs that we’ve had so far is not a great sample size to tell you everything about the offense. It’s going to be different. It’s going to look different formationally and the motions and some of the things that we’re doing. But I think it’s an offense that I can infuse creativity and put my stamp on.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/21/aaron-rodgers-feels-he-can-put-my-stamp-on-new-offense/

Rodgers going to play in the pre-season?

13 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Since when is Rodgers "soft?" And if he were, why would it be funny? I don't get it.

I guess we'll just have to hit him a hundred times this year and find out.

I think a lot of that had to do with his ranting over GoT. He's been whining a lot about that and other things lately.   

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think a lot of that had to do with his ranting over GoT. He's been whining a lot about that and other things lately.   

Huh. I knew everybody was up in arms about this 'Game of Thrones' show I've never watched (or cared to) but didn't know A-Rod was one of them. Weird guy.

Maybe if we hit him hard enough we'll turn him on to Adventure Time. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well, "whine" and Cheese do go well together!!

"We are saddened to note the passing of our husband, father, grandfather, and friend, Bart Starr. He battled with courage and determination to transcend the serious stroke he suffered in September 2014, but his most recent illness was too much to overcome."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/05/26/bart-starr-hall-fame-qb-and-green-bay-packers-legend-dies-85/1244792001/

Starr’s highly successful NFL career began as a long shot. The Packers drafted him in the 17th round in 1956, the 200th player selected overall, from the University of Alabama. His once-promising career at Alabama had been derailed by a leg injury and then a coaching change that de-emphasized Starr’s strengths as a drop-back passer. In his senior season, Starr split playing time at quarterback for an Alabama team that went 0-10.

Starr’s greatest accomplishment in football is his five NFL championships, which was the most by any quarterback until New England’s Tom Brady won his sixth this year. Starr's five titles still rank ahead of San Francisco’s Joe Montana and Pittsburgh’s Terry Bradshaw, who each won four.

Starr also won the NFL’s MVP in the 1966 season and was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. He had a career record of 94-57-6 (.622) and was 9-1 in the postseason. His 196 games played was most in Packers history until Brett Favre surpassed him in 2004.

Edited by vike daddy

19 hours ago, vike daddy said:

"We are saddened to note the passing of our husband, father, grandfather, and friend, Bart Starr. He battled with courage and determination to transcend the serious stroke he suffered in September 2014, but his most recent illness was too much to overcome."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/05/26/bart-starr-hall-fame-qb-and-green-bay-packers-legend-dies-85/1244792001/

Starr’s highly successful NFL career began as a long shot. The Packers drafted him in the 17th round in 1956, the 200th player selected overall, from the University of Alabama. His once-promising career at Alabama had been derailed by a leg injury and then a coaching change that de-emphasized Starr’s strengths as a drop-back passer. In his senior season, Starr split playing time at quarterback for an Alabama team that went 0-10.

Starr’s greatest accomplishment in football is his five NFL championships, which was the most by any quarterback until New England’s Tom Brady won his sixth this year. Starr's five titles still rank ahead of San Francisco’s Joe Montana and Pittsburgh’s Terry Bradshaw, who each won four.

Starr also won the NFL’s MVP in the 1966 season and was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. He had a career record of 94-57-6 (.622) and was 9-1 in the postseason. His 196 games played was most in Packers history until Brett Favre surpassed him in 2004.

Even though he competed against the Vikings (and usually won) Starr was a gentleman who played the game with class. 

Inspired by a recent tweet from the Athletic Seahawks writer Ben Baldwin, here's are Aaron Rodgers' passing numbers over the past 4 years, compared to the other veteran starters in the NFC North:

Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass
Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A
Kirk Cousins 2015 2018 51 64 32-30-2 1557 2295 67.8 17474 111 98.1 80 46 130 980 7.6 7.68 6.80 6.86
Aaron Rodgers 2015 2018 52 55 30-24-1 1274 2017 63.2 14366 112 98.2 75 23 152 1081 7.1 7.72 6.12 6.68
Matthew Stafford 2015 2018 51 64 31-33-0 1524 2306 66.1 16812 106 94.9 73 44 168 1009 7.3 7.35 6.39 6.44

Rodgers was 18th in QBR last year. Cousins was 16th, Trubisky 3rd and Stafford 24th. Rodgers was 13th in DVOA, Cousins 19th and Stafford 21st. DVOA loves touchdowns and hates turnovers (which is fair). 

By PFF passing grade, Rodgers was 6th last year at 87.0 (behind Brees, Mahomes, Rivers, Luck and Brady, and ahead of Wilson). Cousins was 14th and Stafford 16th. PFF gives Rodgers the benefit of the doubt on his throwaways (graded neutral). Rodgers had an absurd number of throwaways, 59 -- only Goff (40) had more than half of that, Brady and Keenum had 30 and no one else had more than 26. 

NextGen Stats has a metric called Completion +/-, which compares QB's actual completion percentage to an expected completion percentage based on the probability of each throw, "based on numerous factors such as receiver separation from the nearest defender, where the receiver is on the field, the separation the passer had at time of throw from the nearest pass rusher, and more". 

Rodgers actual comp% (62.3) last year was a little worse than his expected comp% (62.9). His completion +/- of -0.6 is below average for the league, a little worse than Dalton and a little better than Tannehill. Tom Brady (-1.9) is the only franchise QB that's graded lower. Brees tops the list at +7.4.  Cousins is the 2nd best full time starter, at +5.3, just ahead of Wilson. 

In 2017, Keenum was 4th in the league in completion +/- with +2.4, Cousins was average at +0.1, and Rodgers was under water at -1.6. 

In 2016, Cousins was 1st at +8.4, Bradford was 4th at +6.8, and Rodgers was 11th among starters at +3.4, just behind Stafford in 10th. 

11 hours ago, Krauser said:

Rodgers had an absurd number of throwaways, 59 -- only Goff (40) had more than half of that, Brady and Keenum had 30

:S

Am I understanding somethind wrong? Or should this say:

Rodgers had an absurd number of throwaways, 59 -- only Goff (40), Brady (30), and Keenum (30) had more than half of that

55 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

:S

Am I understanding somethind wrong? Or should this say:

Rodgers had an absurd number of throwaways, 59 -- only Goff (40), Brady (30), and Keenum (30) had more than half of that

...OK — “had much more than half of that”.

• Like 1