Food for thought: Hungry for Mocks

DaPatsKid98

I’m curious to see what your guys’ thoughts are as to whom we may select and how it’d be approached.

Please feel free to also post a mock of your own, I mean it is draft season 9_9 let’s keep the conversations going and the draft picks flowing.

In my particular version, I am going to predict trades. Always tough to do, but it makes this a lot more exciting... but I can show you better than I can tell you.

1st round, 23rd overall: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State

No matter what scenario plays out in my head, I can’t see us passing on LVE if he’s available. He’s exactly what we need on defense, and will be a tremendous pick up. LVE has the size you want in a linebacker and is uber-athletic. He can play on the ball and off the ball, which will compliment Dont’a Hightower’s skill set in his return to the field.

TRADE!

New England sends the 31st pick and the 198th pick to the New York Giants in exchange for picks #34 and #139.

The reason for this trade down, is because it’s actually a trade up. I envision NYG taking Saquon Barkley 2nd overall, thus elevating their need to groom a guy behind Eli Manning. Mason Rudolph is viewed by many as the consensus QB for the Patriots to take, but the move up from round 6 to round 5 is too great for them not to drop three spots right here and allow the G-men to take him.

2nd round, 34th overall via trade: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

The value here is too much to pass on. After years and years of a back-by-committee approach, Josh McDaniels lands a legitimate stud that can give his all on 3 downs. Having a workhorse like Guice will help the Patriots now, and a lot more for life after Tom Brady. The LSU Tiger is a hard runner with great vision, patience, and speed.

2nd round, 43rd overall: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

Anthony Miller is a tremendous receiver. He has the ability to track practically any ball, and make any catch. He can fit anywhere in the Patriots offense. If he’s available here, they should not hesitate despite adding bodies already this offseason.

2nd round, 63rd overall: Andrew Brown, DT Virginia

After losing Alan Branch, it’s urgent we get some depth alongside Malcom Brown. Brown is quick off the snap and immediately tries to fight his way into the backfield every snap. Brown can become a solid contributor and starter on the inside of a defensive line.

TRADE!

New England trades down once again, this time sending pick #95 to  the LA Rams in exchange for picks #135 & #136.

4th round, 135th overall via trade: Dane Cruikshank, DB, Arizona

Dane Cruikshank is probably the most Bill Belichick-defensive back pick that could happen, based on what he seeks in abilities and measurables. Cruikshank is a versatile player that reminds me of Byron Jones. The Wildcat’s coverage skills are not on par with other safeties in this class, but in the right scheme he could be a stud. Oh yeah, special teams too.

4th round, 136th overall via trade: Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T

I don’t believe left tackle is as big of a need as most, considering Garcia is back to playing weight and Waddle is dependable- and don’t argue, he was outstanding when called upon. Next years class has many more elite tackles if New England strikes out on the elite blindside protectors in this class. But Coach Scarr is licking his chops with this selection, and will develop Parker into a stud.

5th round, 139th overall via trade: Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford

Schultz has garnered praise as the most complete tight end to play for the squad in years, which is massive praise considering that Stanford was the stomping ground of Zach Ertz and Colby Fleener. Schultz is a reliable target and can block with the best of them. Dwayne Allen is very replaceable in this draft.

TRADE! 

The Patriots send their 210th overall pick to John Elway and the Broncos. The Patriots receive QB Paxton Lynch.

The Patriots are going to be on the lookout for a backup QB, no doubt. That guy may already be on an NFL roster. Lynch has not lived up to expectations in Denver, and they have definitely moved on by signing Case Keenum. A lot of signs point to Denver also drafting a signal-caller. I’m not so sure Denver would send Lynch to an AFC rival, but crazier things have happened. Paxton Lynch would have a chance to reunite with former Memphis receiver Anthony Miller.

7th round, 219th overall: Kentavius Street, DL, NC State

Street is a freak athlete and will drop pretty far due to his injury he recently suffered. I don’t know how far he will fall, but if he’s sitting here when the Pats are on the clock, he needs to be brought in. Even if he doesn’t get in the field this year, he will be able to produce next season for us.

I'd be pretty happy with this. Vander Esch is a stud in the making, would be thrilled to get him at 23. Don't know about the value of taking a RB so high but Guice is a good player. Miller I'm very high on and the rest are all solid. One guy I'd have an eye on in the middle rounds is Tarvarius Moore, didn't get a combine invite but he's definitely an underrated safety that I'd be OK with them drafting in the 2nd or 3rd round (for once!)

2 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

I'd be pretty happy with this. Vander Esch is a stud in the making, would be thrilled to get him at 23. Don't know about the value of taking a RB so high but Guice is a good player. Miller I'm very high on and the rest are all solid. One guy I'd have an eye on in the middle rounds is Tarvarius Moore, didn't get a combine invite but he's definitely an underrated safety that I'd be OK with them drafting in the 2nd or 3rd round (for once!)

I’m glad someone agrees with me on the safety market. I would not mind going early for a guy like Justin Reid or Marcus Allen.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Some people think he drops out of the first round 

I don’t know about you, but I think him and Rashaan Evans are both first round locks despite what the media puts out. Apart from those two, it’s a big gap in terms of players at that position with a high upside.

On the fence about Leighton Vander Esch, but I like the Anthony Miller pick. I see the value you’re talking about with Guice and I think he would be a decent pickup. I personally like Kerryon Johnson more than Guice, but either would bring a lot to the Patriots. Passing up on Rudolph at 31 is unlikely as I think he will be drafted before even the Patriots pick at 23. The Jaguars, Steelers and Saints would also be major threats to take Rudolph earlier than 31, never mind a team like the Giants trading up. If Rudolph makes it to 23, sure the Pats might pass for Harold Landry, Mike McGlinchey or someone maybe Justin Reid. At 31 though, if Rudolph is still available, I cannot imagine he wouldn’t be the pick right away. I’m not too familiar with the other players besides Dalton Schultz who I also expect to be drafted much earlier than the fifth round.

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

I don’t know about you, but I think him and Rashaan Evans are both first round locks despite what the media puts out. Apart from those two, it’s a big gap in terms of players at that position with a high upside.

There’s apparently health concerns, where some teams don’t even have him on their board apparently. 

Makes him tough to predict on where he’ll be drafted.

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

There’s apparently health concerns, where some teams don’t even have him on their board apparently. 

Makes him tough to predict on where he’ll be drafted.

This is what I was referring to as well. With some teams reportedly having him off their boards, it creates a minefield in terms of draft selection. 

4 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I don't see Guice as 3 down back. He offers very little as a receiver.

He's ok

The real think that makes him an early down back is his bad pass pro and his inability to take edges. He just doesn't have the speed to get the edge and win. He is a downhill runner only with good second level skills. 

Archived