Is Earl Thomas worth #50?

Texas_OutLaw7

Do you give up #50 for ET?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give up #50 for ET?

• Yes.
    • Maybe, it depends on how the draft is going the day of.
    • No, too much. Would give up at most a 3rd round pick.
    • No. Don't give up a pick, next year he signs here as a FA.
    • No. Don't want him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/26/2018 at 03:06 AM

It is difficult for me to answer this. Anytime you can give up a 2nd day pick for an all pro - you do it. But Earl is also 29. He wants a massive contract. And given how much he wants to be here - we can probably get him in free agency next year. I love rounds 2 and 3 of this draft. It makes sense to give up the pick, but it would be difficult. 

Push comes to shove, I am probably a yes. But I feel a lot better about a 3rd round pick than I do a 2nd.

While 50 is reasonable and fair enough for both teams, I wouldnt do it. At 50, there could be 3 if not 4 safeties well worth the pick who are younger, cost less, and could develop into very good players. Trading for Thomas would be renting a very high price player whos closer to his career end than his beginning.

Ive give up the third rounder, considering its a much better price for such a rental. Thomas is a very good player, but safety is not one of those positions that can make or break your entire unit. Now if this was for some star DE or corner, no problem. Pick 50 all day long. But for a safety making quality wideout money whos already 30 and likely done here after a short 2-3 year extension, if he was even kept around all 3-4 years, 50 is a bit rich for me.

We DO need a playmaker at safety. And Thomas can be that from week 1. But Id rather risk that 50th pick on a young guy we can mold into the role we envision. Not rent a short term veteran for a few years to play the role he has carved out for himself already. 

Id not be opposed. Just wouldnt do it myself. For a third? Sure. Not a second.

I wouldnt even give in a late round to add with the third. We have done pretty decent finding niche players late (Swaim, A Brown, Woods, Frazier, even a little higher than late rounders like Prescott and Hitch) and Id be timid to part with another chance for a draft steal. I guess if they twisted my arm for a little extra, sure. But id really not want to.

Those late round players build your roster. Topheavy teams collapse the hardest. Got to have those Swaims, Browns, Fraziers, contributing well, stepping up when asked, and showing up on special teams...just nailing your top picks leaves you open to some rough years if a top player or two goes down or leaves in FA. The stars are the face of your squad. Those late round finds build your roster. And Thomas, as a rental player, would be neither face nor roster building. Hed be a short term addition to.boost a unit that was already showing marked improvement in every area.

Depends on one thing. Is Thomas looking for a big payday with us?

If Yes- He is looking to be the highest paid DB in the league after the next year then my answer is no.

If No- If he is willing to take a generous contract that is both fair as well as leave us room to continue to build then I say yes. I would ask question specifically.

Just now, DaBoys said:

Id feel more comfortable with two mids even. A 3rd and a 5th.... maybeeeee a 3rd and 4th if you twisted my arm. 

I like our draft at 19, 50, ET, 5th, 6th....

I really  hate the idea of gving up our fourth. Thats usually a gem/waste pick for us. While it could end up being a waste, it could also end up being a 4 year starter or better still. While Thomas, with his contract and age, is likely gone in 3 years, having played at a high level for only 2 of them. 

Third or gtfo, Seattle :P

3 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I really  hate the idea of gving up our fourth. Thats usually a gem/waste pick for us. While it could end up being a waste, it could also end up being a 4 year starter or better still. While Thomas, with his contract and age, is likely gone in 3 years, having played at a high level for only 2 of them. 

Third or gtfo, Seattle :P

3rd and 5th? 

And we have two 4ths

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

3rd and 5th? 

And we have two 4ths

A 3 and a 5, yeah, id give it a strong thought. It is something we need and a guaranteed instant upgrade. Id have to really talk to the player and see how badly he wants to beat my salary cap. Will he do it with a wiffle ball bat? Then sure. But with a Louisville slugger? Then still no, too rich of a payment for a high cap hit, a short rental, and giving up not one but now TWO chances at finding a good player for cheap.

Archived