My 1 and only Mock

Golfman

I usually do a lot of these mock drafts, but life has gotten in the way this year and I am not as up on the talent beyond the top 75 or so. No trades, although there will be some. Also, I don't think most of these publication have a great idea where these guys are going beyond round 3. If they don't how can I, but I'd be happy with this draft. Even with 12 picks it's hard to get every position covered you want to. I could see a package of picks to get into the second round for another pick. If I would have traded up it would be into back half of round 2 and only if one of the top 4 CB's were available. I couldn't pull the trigger on Hughes with all the red flags. He could wind up being there at 76, even with 1st round talent. 

14: R1P14
EDGE HAROLD LANDRY - I've wrestled with this pick, but ultimately I think his 3-cone matters when rushing the QB. Hope we don't miss with this pick, whoever it may be. 
BOSTON COLLEGE
45: R2P13
 WR CHRISTIAN KIRK - I'd be thrilled with this kid in 2, and I've seen him sliding to mid-round 2. I'd rather have a CB here, but too much value. 
TEXAS A&M
76: R3P12
EDGE LORENZO CARTER - Freak athlete, but will it translate. I think he could cover on 3rd down as well. 
GEORGIA
101: R4P1
 CB ISAAC YIADOM - The more I read about this kid the more I like him. 
BOSTON COLLEGE
133: R4P33
 TERRELL EDMUNDS - Rather have his brother in round 1, but athlete who will help on special teams immediately. 
VIRGINIA TECH
138: R5P1
 OT COLBY GOSSETT - I think he plays guard in NFL
APPALACHIAN STATE
172: R5P35
CB HOLTON HILL - Not sure he'll slide this far, but I would definitely take another CB here if we don't get one until the 1st pick in round 4. 
TEXAS
174: R5P37
 TE DURHAM SMYTHE - He'll be a good NFL player eventually, not flashy. 
NOTRE DAME
186: R6P12
 DL KENTAVIUS STREET - project, but a guy who could slide inside on passing downs. Probably not for us immediately with our d-line depth. Which is as good as it's been since our last Super Bowl. 
NC STATE
207: R6P33
 OT GREG SENAT - Small college project
WAGNER
232: R7P14
 LB MATTHEW THOMAS - Athletic freak, but is he smart enough to play in the NFL. Might turn out to be another Torrance Marshall. 
FLORIDA STATE
239: R7P21
TE TROY FUMAGALLI - I've seen him sliding a lot. Love to get a hometown kid and double dip at TE. 
WISCONSIN

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

You Wisconsin guys are gonna have to sell me on Fumagalli because I don't see it at all. 

It's funny because I've been saying I'm fine with taking him r6 or 7 for ages but I've never actually seen him mocked that low.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It's funny because I've been saying I'm fine with taking him r6 or 7 for ages but I've never actually seen him mocked that low.

Which is bizarre because he does nothing spectacularly well enough to warrant much higher than a 6th round pick. 

Hard not to like this draft.  I'd have liked to see a possible day 1 contributor at CB (not sure if Yiadom or Hill are that) but I wouldn't be able to argue with the selection of Kirk and Carter given the clear need the team has at both positions and value of each player in those draft positions (I think both should be gone by those picks). 

Like this draft more than most I've seen posted. 

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

Hard not to like this draft.  I'd have liked to see a possible day 1 contributor at CB (not sure if Yiadom or Hill are that) but I wouldn't be able to argue with the selection of Kirk and Carter given the clear need the team has at both positions and value of each player in those draft positions (I think both should be gone by those picks). Like this draft more than most I've seen posted. 

I'll have to watch some tape of Kirk cause he's not a name I recognized and he's not listed high on WR charts.

Like the draft golf.  And I kinda like going with some BPA in rounds 2 and 3 rather than necessarily going CB because we need CB.  Might regret that very quickly, if CB with House/King/Pipkens becomes a disaster.  But maybe we'll get lucky with the corners we've got, and suddenly we'll be super thrilled to have two quick/impact edges and a WR that can help the offense to go.  

Think pick #1 is going to be really critical.  Landry and Davenport have some qualities to like; but each has some question marks as well.  I think it's absolutely crucial that the guy they pick at 14 actually works out, and is more than JAG.  If they end up with Davenport, will he take time and end up becoming kind of a matching Perry?  Perry with health, it's not like that would be a "bust" pick, I realize.  But in terms of pass rush, I'm not sure having a couple of Perry's setting the edges would end up really putting the pressure on.  And if it's Landry, will he be a 2-down guy who gets an occassional pressure but who's getting blown up and overpowered a lot of times, and it a big liability in run-defense?  If you spend 14 on Landry and he ends up as a no-run-defense-6-sacks-per-year guy, is that really going to be a win?  

Whoever we get at 14, really, really, really want that guy to be a consistently VERY GOOD player, not just JAG, or not just a couple of plays per year.  

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'll have to watch some tape of Kirk cause he's not a name I recognized and he's not listed high on WR charts.

Yeoooooowwww! Kirk's got some serious quicks to him. He finds/creates seams and disappears. Davis beware. Your PR/KR duties would be seriously challenged. I dont know about @ #2 but he'd sure be a nice weapon to have.

53 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Which is bizarre because he does nothing spectacularly well enough to warrant much higher than a 6th round pick. 

I think it was just how the board was online for ages

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Yeoooooowwww! Kirk's got some serious quicks to him. He finds/creates seams and disappears. Davis beware. Your PR/KR duties would be seriously challenged. I dont know about @ #2 but he'd sure be a nice weapon to have.

Leader,

We'll be lucky if we have a shot to get him in round 2. I see no way we could get him beyond that. He's the real deal at WR. Also, I could have a lot of these guys a round or two too early or too late. It would not surprise me if there are a guy or two on my list who don't get drafted. I tend to value speed more than most. A little Al Davis in my, I guess. The one I'm really taking a flyer on (might not get drafted) is Matthew Thomas from Florida State. Reminds me of Telvin Smith who was a guy I really wanted in that draft a few years back. I knew that was the direction the linebacker position was going, smaller quicker and faster guys inside to cover TE's. 

Archived