Draft "What ifs"

elliot878

I don't have time to do a full blown final mock draft this week, but think this might be a fun discussion. Call it a dream, call it a what if scenario, call it something in between, but let's see (and discuss) your guys draft day what if's.  Post as many as you want and be sure to evaluate others as well.

I like to keep it closer to realism, I'm not going to have a "what if Denver trades #5 for OBJ."  I want to keep it draft focused.

What if... Denver trades down with Buffalo?

Trade Details:

Denver gives pick 5, pick 99 (3rd round comp), pick 113 (4th round from WAS).

Buffalo gives pick 12, pick 22, and pick 34 (round 2).

12.  Josh Rosen QB - Yup, I actually think this is possible.  Hear me out.  Cleveland takes Allen 1, Chubb 4th overall.  Barkley goes 2nd and Baker 3rd.  Bills trade up and grab Darnold or Rosen.  Whoever the 4th QB off the board is could see a bit of a tumble.

• Alternate:  Roquan Smith ILB

22.  Harold Landry EDGE - Shane Ray's option still not picked up, and I think that's indicative of Elway's draft plans.  If he finds himself sitting there with a very good pass rusher on the board I think he takes him.

• Alternate:  Jaire Alexander CB

34.  Billy Price OG/C - Represents value and need.  Price was great in college and would probably be a sure fire first rounder if not for a combine injury.  Protects the investments made at QB in Keenum and Rosen.

• Alternate:  Derrius Guice RB

40. Harrison Philips DT - Just feels like the DL needs bodies and Philips can contribute right away.  High octane guy who at the very least will provide a non-stop motor that needs refinement.

• Alternate:  Mason Rudolph QB

I would do this if we did not give up 3.99.  Gotta win big.

12 and 40 could be used to come back up to 7 with Tampa Bay and draft Nelson.

We would still have extra draft capital and 2.34 could be combined with a 3.99 to come back up the board for a RB, QB or ILB

I dislike the value of the trade. I think 1.05 should net 1.12, 1.22 and one of their R2 picks. They want a QB? Make them pay for one.

The idea of Rosen still on the board at 1.12 is simply a dream scenario. IDK how unrealistic it is, in terms of draft order there seems to be a chance but some team will trade up above 1.12 and take him IMHO. Still, Aaron Rogers fell to the 20's so anything is possible.

Side note - it's rare to have spirited debate about taking a guy at 1.2...and see him mocked in the 12+ range in the same week.   That's exactly what's happening with Rosen lol (Giants pick at 1.2, to take him, move down, or go Barkley/Chubb).  

What if...Denver trades up with the New York Giants (for QB Sam Darnold)?

The Browns select Josh Allen at No. 1 overall. The Giants are on the clock and Dave Gettleman's phone in his Meadowlands office begins to ring. 

Admittedly, this is unlikely given that Gettleman has been rumored to have turned down Buffalo's offer both their firsts and both their seconds and we don't have as much capital as they do. However, moving from No. 2 to No. 12 is much further jump back than moving from No. 2 to No. 5.

From the Giants perspective, if they know we're moving up for a QB (and Gettleman will want to know who Elway is going to take at No. 2) the Giants will look at Allen off the board to Cleveland, Darnold off the board to Denver, Mayfield off the board to the Jets and then Cleveland taking one of Saquon Barkley or Bradley Chubb, meaning the Giants at No. 5 will get whichever of those two - both of whom fill needs with immediate-impact players who have been linked to the G-Men - that Cleveland passes on. 

Trade Details: 

Denver gets the No. 2 overall pick. 

New York Giants get the No. 5 overall pick, the No. 40 overall pick and Denver's 2019 first round pick.

Draft: 

2. Sam Darnold, QB, USC

71. Michael Gallup, WR, CSU

99. Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi St.

106. Rashaad Penny, RB, SDSU

113. Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Browns select Josh Allen at No. 1 overall. The Giants are on the clock and Dave Gettleman's phone in his Meadowlands office begins to ring. 

Admittedly, this is unlikely given that Gettleman has been rumored to have turned down Buffalo's offer both their firsts and both their seconds and we don't have as much capital as they do. However, moving from No. 2 to No. 12 is much further jump back than moving from No. 2 to No. 5.

From the Giants perspective, if they know we're moving up for a QB (and Gettleman will want to know who Elway is going to take at No. 2) the Giants will look at Allen off the board to Cleveland, Darnold off the board to Denver, Mayfield off the board to the Jets and then Cleveland taking one of Saquon Barkley or Bradley Chubb, meaning the Giants at No. 5 will get whichever of those two - both of whom fill needs with immediate-impact players who have been linked to the G-Men - that Cleveland passes on. 

Trade Details: 

New York Giants get the No. 5 overall pick, the No. 40 overall pick and Denver's 2019 first round pick.

Draft: 

2. Sam Darnold, QB, USC

If Denver traded up, they would need to hit on every other pick in the draft. That would be giving away so much valuable capital, and you wouldn't be getting an immediate contributor. That's scary.

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Trade Details: 

Draft: 

2. Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Let's take the draft trade angle away for now....my only issue with the draft picks is that Penny's unlikely to fall to 4.106.   Gallup could be there at 3.99 though.   I think you'd have to spend 3.7 for Penny, or get a lower tier RB.   Rankin's harder to know where he will slide in.  

Draft wise, for sure we'd likely have to give up a 2019 1st to move up to 1.2...that's iffier, because that could easily be a top 10 pick.   I love Darnold though, I won't lie.    

If we could make it a 2019 1st and 3.71, so we could get a top C/G to shore up our interior OL,  I could see Elway considering it....say:

1.2 Darnold

2.8 Price/Daniels

3.99 Gallup

4.106 Jewell

4.113 Rankin or Parker as developmental T / best RB

5.160 RB/T Greg Senat 

5.163 Developmental CB

Elway's been adamant he won't trade up...but it's lying season, lol.  But gotta take it FWIW.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If Denver traded up, they would need to hit on every other pick in the draft. That would be giving away so much valuable capital, and you wouldn't be getting an immediate contributor. That's scary.

It would certainly be a swing for the fences move by Elway. And we know he's not afraid to do that. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

It would certainly be a swing for the fences move by Elway. And we know he's not afraid to do that. 

For the record- getting Darnold would make me happy. He's probably my favorite QB, but Rosen is the one I view as most attainable. They're 1A and 1B, so getting one would be great.

I think Denver is trading the 5 pick though. I think Elway recognizes that there's a lot of holes that we would be uniquely positioned to fill by moving down, even if it means we get another 1st next year.

A scenario that hasn't been discussed here, to my knowledge anyway, would be the Bills make two trades up. 

First, they trade Nos. 12 and 53 to the Colts for No. 6, Ballard has said he's not at all opposed to moving down again and acquiring more picks. 

Then, just like my thought that they can convince the Giants to part with No. 2 for Nos. 6 and 22 (and possibly a future consideration) the Giants might be more willing to take that offer as they would be guaranteed to still get one of the three elite non-QB prospects. 

After the Bills move up twice, the top of the draft something like;

1. CLE - Allen

2. BUF - Darnold

3. NYJ: Mayfield

4. CLE: Chubb/Barkley

5. DEN: Chubb/Barkley/Nelson

6. NYG: Chubb/Barkley/Nelson

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A scenario that hasn't been discussed here, to my knowledge anyway, would be the Bills make two trades up. 

First, they trade Nos. 12 and 53 to the Colts for No. 6, Ballard has said he's not at all opposed to moving down again and acquiring more picks. 

Then, just like my thought that they can convince the Giants to part with No. 2 for Nos. 6 and 22 (and possibly a future consideration) the Giants might be more willing to take that offer as they would be guaranteed to still get one of the three elite non-QB prospects. 

After the Bills move up twice, the top of the draft something like;

1. CLE - Allen

2. BUF - Darnold

3. NYJ: Mayfield

4. CLE: Chubb/Barkley

5. DEN: Chubb/Barkley/Nelson

6. NYG: Chubb/Barkley/Nelson

I don't see IND agreeing to move down 6 spots for #53.  They'd move down for 12 & 22.     Remember, they are hoping for Chubb at 1.6, maybe Barkley.  Their wish to move down is probably if both Chubb & Barkley are off the board.   They have their eye supposedly on Roquan Smith - moving to 12 makes that far from a lock - no way I'd see them settle for 2.53 to be shut out in that regard.

I could see BUF moving up to 1.6 with 1.12 and 1.22...and then offering their 2019 1st with 1.5 for 1.2, or 2.53 and 2.60 and a 2019 2nd for 1.2 (3 2nd's).    Given that NYG would still get one of the top 3 nonQB prospects, I could see that happening if NYG isn't going QB.   To get to 1.2, I don't see BUF being able to keep their 2019 1st, no matter how they swing it, unless they go the NYJ route and package 3 2nd's - and keep in mind those 2018 2nds aren't nearly as valuable as NYJ's, so it would be partly because NYG really wants to stay in the top 6 that they'd agree - personally, given how badly BUF would be wanting to move to 1.2, I think it's still the BUF 2019 1st that's in play, even if they got to 1.6).

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't see IND agreeing to move down 6 spots for #53.  They'd move down for 12 & 22.     Remember, they are hoping for Chubb at 1.6, maybe Barkley.  Their wish to move down is probably if both Chubb & Barkley are off the board.   They have their eye supposedly on Roquan Smith - moving to 12 makes that far from a lock - no way I'd see them settle for 2.53 to be shut out in that regard.

I could see BUF moving up to 1.6 with 1.12 and 1.22...and then offering their 2019 1st with 1.5 for 1.2, or 2.53 and 2.60 and a 2019 2nd for 1.2 (3 2nd's).    Given that NYG would still get one of the top 3 nonQB prospects, I could see that happening if NYG isn't going QB.   To get to 1.2, I don't see BUF being able to keep their 2019 1st, no matter how they swing it, unless they go the NYJ route and package 3 2nd's - and keep in mind those 2018 2nds aren't nearly as valuable as NYJ's, so it would be partly because NYG really wants to stay in the top 6 that they'd agree).

Well, the details of the trades just came off the top of my head real quick. A lot of what you say makes sense.

But I was more interested in what the implications would be of Buffalo moving up twice to to get to No. 2 and get another QB off the board, allowing at least two of the three (or four, since it seems we're high on Denzel Ward) non-QB prospects to be on the board for us at No. 5. 

Archived